Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Well Im no expert deadlifter(acctualy I am a sucky deadlifter ) but isnt it best if you try conventional for a while and then decide what fits your body structure best?

What I do know is that conventional dl's involves alot more lower back, so if your lower back is a strong spot you should be strong in the convetional deadlift to I supose
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 05-20-2002 at 10:49 AM.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Ohh hehe damn I realy have to stop reading the damn post so quickly

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Personally I can lift a far greater weight using convential than sumo stick with what you feel is best.Sumo hurts my hip joints too much

chris245 is offline Junior Member
    Well i've never done sumo,and i dont plan too.

But basically,do what works for you. Why stop doing something that works right?

-chris

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    If you are going to try to change your lift you should try to do so long before a meet. Ther are advantages to sumo style IF it suits your body type 1. shorter range of motion. 2. Increased leverage 3. transfers the weight to glutes, hams,and less on the lower back.
    Keep in mind also some people never develop a good sumo their body types just aren't suited to it.
    Here is a great article concerning the deadlift and ways to improve yours. Please read it, as I am sure you will learn from it and improve your lift. www.testosterone.net/articles/194dead.html

Good luck,
    xxxl83

FREAK2 is offline New Member
    Little Girl,
    im gonna say stick with conventional. even though ive heard that your sumo pull and conventional pull should be the same. i tried sumo and it bothered my knee, so ill never give it another try.
    FREAK

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    Id say switch it up, When I do conventional dead lifts, the bar rubs up against my shins sometimes and creates a ugly mark, the sumo can be a faster motion and work your inner thighs and hamstrings more, that will help your dead lift max in competition, especially since you are already doing conventional and looking to switch, dont always keep the same routine.

SUPERDAVE is offline Banned
    I have a difficult time with conventional because of my heighth. Sumo is much easier and i can do much more weight
    6'2'

conventional 315 *8 reps
    sumo 350 *8 reps

try them both, see what works best for you

Wake Chick is offline Female Member
    Little Girl,
    I'm no expert on deadlift believe me (my worst lift). But almost all the girls that get the heavier lifts at meets use sumo. I personally am still using conventional, but am ready to start practicing with sumo and try it out. I dont know about you, but I have really short legs, so the short range of movement would be helpful. But last time I tried it I felt really off balance, and I cant imagine how uncomfortable that would feel maxing out. From what I understand It's really all technique so I must be doing something wrong. If your at a stand still with conv. give sumo a try, who knows, with your strength sounds like you could up your maxes changing things up maybe?? Tell me how it goes!!!
    Wake chicks- We make your boat look good.

Thread Information