Thread: box squat

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I only do ordinary squats when I max out(or when I am bodybuilding). Otherwise its always box squats for me.

anabolicmyo is offline Junior Member
    box sqauts break the concentric/eccentric motion of a lift , which means you have to use absolute power and control at the same time to a depth of hopefully lower then your knees. ya I do them on the same day as sqauts, for absolute wreckage throw in some hacks and close stance smith presses also (go deep), sure to get those legs buckling.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member

Re: box squat

Originally posted by Little Girl: "Somebody else here is doing those?"

I do them every Friday, as part of my Dynamic Sq/Dl training. There is not other squatting we do.

Ermantroudt

FREAK2 is offline New Member
    your glutes might be hurting because your probably sitting down on the box instead of back.
    are you doing box squats for speed or for a max weight?

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    like freak said, you could be sitting down on the box, i do these on my power days, i do them with cleans, and other olympics.....the only other kind of squats i do is front squats.... you are probably still hurting because it is a new motion, this happened to me when i started doing that groin exercise where you bring your legs together (the one that all the women do), make my groin hurt for 4 days!!!

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    You must sit back. That way you are working the proper muscles. And when i am 5 to 6 weeks out from a meet i do regular squats in my suit. But rest of the year its box squats only. You do not do regular squats in the same day. I always follow up with reverse hypers.

tommybono is offline New Member
    I do not see anything wrong with the glutes hurting. WHen I sit back it hits posterior chain very hard -specially glutes.

WHen I do anything new I hurt for 3-4 days. It is terrible. I am on westside. Every 3 weeks, I do something new.

If you are particularly cruel to glutes I find seated arched-back good mornings to be useful as well. And low start sumo deadlifts are terrible.

Box squats wonderful for form and explosion. Favorite squat variant no doubt. It just hurts groin when you fail a weight and crash into box. Ouchie! Spotter ever since that happen to myself.

Buenas suertes!

Originally posted by Little Girl
    I see nothing wrong with the glutes hurting either... I've been training for 8 years, and each weeks, it's the same thing!

LG
    I aggre its fun to be sore in the ass and legs, it indicates to me that I have worked hard enough and its fun walking around silly

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I do them LG. I didn't realize how many other leg muscles I had until I started WSB. I throw some really heavy (for me it's heavy) stiff leg DL's in after and my ass and hamies are still sore.

Now my legs are started to feel "fuller".

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I told Johan about this...last friday i saw this dude at the gym doing box squats in the smith machine to a bench...comments?

Crazy Bencher is offline Junior Member
    i like hack squats better than box...have you tried those....?

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    The most important things box squats do for you is break the eccentric, concentric chain by pausing on the box. Touch and go squats on a box or bench will not accomplish the same thing.

Also being able to sit back to the point where your shins are past perpendicular which isn't possible with out a box trains the correct squating muscles to a degree that regular squats can not.

As for smith machine box squats? The bar travels in an unnatural fixed range of motion which will eliminate the use of your stabilizing muscles. If you can't sabilize the weight you can't lift it. Chances are this guy wasn't performing "box squats" he was just using a bench or box to regulate his squatting depth.

Hack squats are primarily a quad exercise which will have minimal impact on your competion squat, also again it's a fixed range of motion and limits training your stabilizing muscles.

Hope this helped out some.

xxxl83

NightOp is offline Member
    i will be starting the westside PL 9 week basic training routine in about one month .... As to box sqauts, many many trainers and coaches tell me that it is very bad for your spine and what not... they say it is too much pressure for a small area... is this just bs or is there a special way to sit down to stay safe and injury free.

Originally posted by NightOp
    i will be starting the westside PL 9 week basic training routine in about one month .... As to box sqauts, many many trainers and coaches tell me that it is very bad for your spine and what not... they say it is too much pressure for a small area... is this just bs or is there a special way to sit down to stay safe and injury free.
    If you crash on the box over and over again then say goodbye to your spine(I have a little back troubble right now and I suspect that crashing on the box is what caused it). But if you sit down slowely and carefully with your ass far back then its no problem.

NightOp is offline Member
    Originally posted by johan

If you crash on the box over and over again then say goodbye to your spine(I have a little back troubble right now and I suspect that crashing on the box is what caused it). But if you sit down slowely and carefully with your ass far back then its no problem.
    ok, thnx.

Thread Information