Phildude is offline Junior Member

Smile Switch to powerlifting now?

Hi I am 20, 6'0", 186 pounds, and doing moderate bodybuilding training now. I am not very strong, as I am just starting (225 BP, 225 x 4 squat, 255 x 4 DL).
    I would like to switch to powerlifting. I have always been a skinny guy, but now I'm putting more mass on. I know powerlifting takes years to put on the numbers and be successful, which is why I would like to start now.

I am wondering, not being as massive as most, should I immediately start training like a powerlifter or do something else for more mass, then start powertraining?

Thanks for your help and time in advance!

-Phil
    Last edited by Phildude; 01-05-2006 at 01:01 AM.

Juicy Sauce is offline Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Phildude
    Hi I am new to the forums, first post, I am 20, 6'0", 186 pounds, and doing moderate bodybuilding training now. I am not very strong, as I am just starting (225 BP, 225 x 4 squat, 255 x 4 DL).
    I would like to switch to powerlifting. I have always been a skinny guy, but now I'm putting more mass on. I know powerlifting takes years to put on the numbers and be successful, which is why I would like to start now.

I am wondering, not being as massive as most, should I immediately start training like a powerlifter or do something else for more mass, then start powertraining?

-Phil
    u need to work up to it or u will tear tendons and ligaments. no one becomes a PL overnight. start light and increase weight each week. listen to your body and detect injuries early. good luck mang!

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    A lot depends on the which weight class you think you'll end up in.

If you're going to stay a skinny guy and not a superheavy, there's no reason to try to add mass.

If you're going to be a heavy or super heavy (don't know the weight ranges), you need to work on overall strength and size more.

Good luck!

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildude
    Hi I am 20, 6'0", 186 pounds, and doing moderate bodybuilding training now. I am not very strong, as I am just starting (225 BP, 225 x 4 squat, 255 x 4 DL).

-Phil
    Mass is not an issue in powerlifting. If I were you I would do one of two things: cut some bodyfat and get into 181 lb class or bulk up 10-12 more pounds to have the best advantage in the 198s.

BTW 225x4 in the squat should put you around a 260 max and 255x4 in DL should put you around 292 lb max. Keep working at it man, good luck!

Thread Information