Thread: wraps

Velkar182 is offline Banned

wraps

I've seen some guys wearing wrist wraps while deadlifting. How can wraps help on a deadlift? A buddy at my gym says that training with wraps can weaken your grip. I am completely confused. What's the deal?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    wrist wraps? like you use when benching??

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velkar182
    I've seen some guys wearing wrist wraps while deadlifting. How can wraps help on a deadlift? A buddy at my gym says that training with wraps can weaken your grip. I am completely confused. What's the deal?
    I use them because my grip is weak to begin with so when i attempt to do deads around 275ish my grips doesn't hold up. I try to stay away from them, mainly using them when i go really heavy. I just can't see the point in not using straps, then having to use a lot less weight for my back and legs just to try and help my grip.

ummm just re-read org thread. You mean straps right ? They wrap around the bar.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    wrist wraps? like you use when benching??

No he sasid when doing Deads..

I use Straps on my last two sets of Deads.. If I don't I can't hold the weight and I give up good form to crappy movements that will probably hurt my back.

Nothing at all wrong with straps just don't use them all the time and make sure you work your foreards and grip as much as possible.

Of course this is just MY opinion.

Oldman

yeah but I am confused if he means straps to hold onto weights or wraps to stabilise wrists

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    yeah but I am confused if he means straps to hold onto weights or wraps to stabilise wrists

Gotcha!! I see what you are saying sorry.. I have used Wrist Wraps on bench.. My gloved actually have a long wraparound that I can pull tight to give my wrists more support..

Oldman

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    WRAPS not straps can be used also to help your grip when doing max effort weigh if you have grip issues, alot of top powerlifters like a bolton use wraps when they dead, i myself never bother, try it out, wraps you wrists tightm you fingers will automtaicaly clench and you will have increased grip strentgh with very little mental effort. try it out. i wouldn't train like this, but if ihad a problem with grip i would usr the in a contest

ohh thats a new one to me. That is something I defenetly would need if I ever did a competition thats for sure.

try it out, cut an old pair of knee wraps in half and use them as wrist wraps

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    It lets you hit heavier weights with a double overhand grip - which, I found out the hard way - kicks the shit out of your traps on shrugs or DLs.

Try a slightly wider grip than you normally would, double overhand, and see if you can shrug your shoulders to say "I don't know" the next day.

Cutting knee wraps is a good idea, because many of the wraps that are available through department or sporting goods stores are too short.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    If my forearms are inflammed (minor carpal tunnel) or I want to pull double overhand with max weights I use straps. Some guys believe the reverse grip places so uneven torque on your back. I wish I could use them in competition, but I cant, so I have to man up and pull with pure grip alot.

Also, you may find this helpful:
    Lifting/ wrist straps or not when working out?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    This might also help some. I found this on another thread and am going to start to incorporate this is my workouts from now on.

"My advice would be to increase your grip strenght. One way I found to be effective was posted by another member to get monster forearms:

You go in the power rack, you put weight on a barbell, you grip it with a overhand grip first, and you just stay there holding it until it falls out of your hands. When it falls, you grab the barbell back with over under grip and do the same thing once again. Then with a reverse grip. This whole procedure is 1 set!!! Do it 3-4 times on arm day... (Or forearms day... Don't know your training split)"

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    I think I will give the wrist wraps a try once before my competition in march. I have been killing my grip because I can pull in the 600's but I can't hold on to upper 500's long enough to lock out. I am working my grip 2-3 times a week and I am looking for any advantages at the competition. Thanks for your input guys! I didn't know whether the wraps would legitimately help or if it was a psychological thing.

works for andy bolton! if it helps at all even if it only psychological, it still doing the trick! give it a whirl! i never had a grip problem so i don't bother, but other friends of mine swear by the wraps

Thread Information