bigredAEKDB is offline New Member

Is this any good

Guys is this a good powerlifting weekly workout?

Mon- Squats 4x3-5, Quater Squats 4x3-4, Leg Curls 3x12, Stiff leg DLs 3x10, Standing Barbell curls 3x6, Alt. Curls 3x10, Reverse Curls 3x8

Tue- Bench 4x 3-5, Incline Bench 3x6, Weighted Dips 3x8, Skullcrushers 3x8, Close-grip Bench 3x6, DB Shoulder Complex (see below), Shrugs 3x10

Wed- Deadlifts 4x 3-5, Bent Rows 3x8, DB rows 3x8, Pull ups 3x to Failure

Thur- Front Squats 3x10, Leg Ext. 3x12, Leg curl 3x12, Peacher curls 3x10, Reverse curls 3x10, Chin ups 3x to Failure

Fri-Db bench 3x10, Db incline 3x10, Tricep Ext. 3x12, Tricep Dips 3x to Failure, Barbell Overhead Press 3x8, Front Raises 3x12, Lateral Raises 3x12, Upright Rows 3x10

Shoulder Complex: Overhead press 12 reps, Front Raises 12 reps, Lateral Raises 12 reps, Bent Lateral Raises 12 reps ( Non stop from first movement to last for 3 to 4 sets)

PLEASE GIVE ME RELPIES
    Isthis a body biluders workout?
    Is it any good for powerlifting?
    If not please help me I want a good powerlifting workout for a novice.
    Last edited by bigredAEKDB; 01-27-2006 at 02:15 PM.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    To get a powerlifter's routinue you need to incorporate speed days too. I am guessing this schedule dictates max effort on every lift all the time? Probably drop the preacher curls too.

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    Too much work if you're doing a true PL max effort (ME) and dynamic effort (DE) days. Four a week should be plenty, especially if you're not using during this effort.

Monday - reduce to one exercise for curls, add an upper back motion (BB rows, lat pull downs, chest supported rows, db rows).

Tuesday - cut out one pressing motion, probably inclines unless you're working on shoulder strength for a specific bench weakness. Cut out at least one of the tricep exercises and you're probably better off doing a heavy motion in the same plane as your bench - either skull crushers or close grips should be heavy - then do the dips to finish your tris off. The whole point is to get them stronger for bench if you're trying to PL.

Wednesday - GPP (general physical preparedness) day - go do some sled pulls, farmer's walks, push your car around, something other than time in the gym.

Thursday - the point here is to work two things: speed and form. Do Squats or Box Squats at about 50-60 percent and do short, fast sets - very explosive. Something like 10 sets of 3, so you get used to exploding from the bottom of the motion. You can do the same sort of thing with DLs. If you're truely trying to PL, Leg Ext. are a waste of time and, for the most part, so are Leg Curls. Replace them with some DL variant, a Glute Ham Raises - natural or actual, or Pull Thrus.

Friday - speed work on Bench. DBs are fine if you want to work on the bottom end of your bench (weak off the chest). In any other case, do the same 10 sets of 3 as above. Vary your grip from narrow (for actual bench - pinkies on rings), to normal (mid or ring finger on rings), to wide (index on rings) from set to set. Nothing to failure - you're trying to develop strength, not toning or really even size per se.

That's just a short edit with no real regard to periodization, cycling, or any of the other subtleties of PLing.

Try a couple of sites for info: the forums on fortifiediron.com (they also have some workout templets links on the home page), westsidebarbell.com (the papa of the Westside workout), efts.com (elite fitness systems - home of some big benchers). I don't know all of the websites, but iron asylum and metal militiaboth have good websites too.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by RMBros
    Too much work if you're doing a true PL max effort (ME) and dynamic effort (DE) days. Four a week should be plenty, especially if you're not using during this effort.

Monday - reduce to one exercise for curls, add an upper back motion (BB rows, lat pull downs, chest supported rows, db rows).

Tuesday - cut out one pressing motion, probably inclines unless you're working on shoulder strength for a specific bench weakness. Cut out at least one of the tricep exercises and you're probably better off doing a heavy motion in the same plane as your bench - either skull crushers or close grips should be heavy - then do the dips to finish your tris off. The whole point is to get them stronger for bench if you're trying to PL.

Wednesday - GPP (general physical preparedness) day - go do some sled pulls, farmer's walks, push your car around, something other than time in the gym.

Thursday - the point here is to work two things: speed and form. Do Squats or Box Squats at about 50-60 percent and do short, fast sets - very explosive. Something like 10 sets of 3, so you get used to exploding from the bottom of the motion. You can do the same sort of thing with DLs. If you're truely trying to PL, Leg Ext. are a waste of time and, for the most part, so are Leg Curls. Replace them with some DL variant, a Glute Ham Raises - natural or actual, or Pull Thrus.

Friday - speed work on Bench. DBs are fine if you want to work on the bottom end of your bench (weak off the chest). In any other case, do the same 10 sets of 3 as above. Vary your grip from narrow (for actual bench - pinkies on rings), to normal (mid or ring finger on rings), to wide (index on rings) from set to set. Nothing to failure - you're trying to develop strength, not toning or really even size per se.

That's just a short edit with no real regard to periodization, cycling, or any of the other subtleties of PLing.

Try a couple of sites for info: the forums on fortifiediron.com (they also have some workout templets links on the home page), westsidebarbell.com (the papa of the Westside workout), efts.com (elite fitness systems - home of some big benchers). I don't know all of the websites, but iron asylum and metal militiaboth have good websites too.
    I like the advice, good post. Also wanted to add that lat pulldowns are a waste of time. Trust me on that one, I've talked with the biggest names in powerlifting about them.

bigredAEKDB is offline New Member
    Thanks guys i did powerlifting in high school and wanted to become a true pwowerlifter now that i'm in college. I use to love the sport and still find it awesome and would really like to become a for real powerlifter.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    I like the advice, good post. Also wanted to add that lat pulldowns are a waste of time. Trust me on that one, I've talked with the biggest names in powerlifting about them.
    mike, what movement do you use for lats?

Thread Information