Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Angry THIS is starting to bug me

Is it possible that westside has done me weaker in the god damn bench for reps??

I did 9 weeks of westside and after that 2 weeks of bodybuilding. Both of the damn bodybuilding chest days I was WEAK like shit.

The first chest day I did 4 reps with the 88 dumbels for 2 sets.
    And after that bench and I could only do 154 for 5 reps. I feelt like fuckign crying almost, hasnt been that weak in the bench for a long time.

Now yesterday I staretd with bench and did 7 reps on 176 followed by 1,5 rep on 200. Damn I got pissed, I didnt do anymore bench because I was so weak and did some db presses instead, but I couldnt even move the 88s one damn rep. By then I was so damn pissed that I threw the dumbels on the floor and screamed.

So instead of chest I did lats and in lats I was stronger then usual.

I folishly did triceps the day before the chest day(it was a unplanned workout) so I just hope I was weak in the bench because of that, otherwise something is wrong because my bench 1rm has increased. But I cant rep shit.

BTW when I followed westside I did 17 reps with the 68's so the 88's should be easy for like 6 reps atleast.

And the most anoying part is that I have eaten good before those chest workouts and feelt realy loaded before them. But even when I started warming upp with 110 I feelt how damn weak I am blah.

Ohh well atleast I have gotten a good soreness,
    bodybuilding routines SUX, westside rules.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Johan relax buddy,
    Remember powerlifting is a sport you train for max singles in competion only the first rep counts. Yes it is very possible that you've lost some enduance and it shows when doing multiple rep sets.
    Strength can be broken down into a couple sub divisions without getting too involved and keeping it basic you have speed strength and strength speed. This is why we train each lift with a max effort and dynamic day. So it is possilble for one person to be good with multiple reps but suck with max lifts and vise versa.
    I hope this clears up some of your problem. If you've any questions pm me.

xxxl83

jbrand is offline Member
    Doesn't David Tate (since we are talking Westside) talk about not training > 90% 1RM for more than 3 weeks at a time? The CNS can only take so much for so long.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Jbrand yes and no. You shouldn't train the same max effort exercise for more then 2 to 3 weeks. After 2 to 3 weeks you still train at max intensity 100%+ you just change the exercise. Example: Use the bench press for a max single for 2 to 3 weeks on your max effort day. Then switch to floor press for a max single for 2 to 3 weeks. This is called the conjugate method. You always want to train at max intensity just change the exercises to keep the CNS fresh. Also by training other exercises related to the target lift you improve muscular coordination and this will help you master your form.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by xxxl83
    Jbrand yes and no. You shouldn't train the same max effort exercise for more then 2 to 3 weeks. After 2 to 3 weeks you still train at max intensity 100%+ you just change the exercise. Example: Use the bench press for a max single for 2 to 3 weeks on your max effort day. Then switch to floor press for a max single for 2 to 3 weeks. This is called the conjugate method. You always want to train at max intensity just change the exercises to keep the CNS fresh. Also by training other exercises related to the target lift you improve muscular coordination and this will help you master your form.

Interesting stuff.

tommybono is offline New Member
    Hahaha westside very odd, yes. I like westside.

Limit strength and strenght-endurance are very far apart I find. I have friend who can bench what I bench for 10 reps, but couldn't lockout my single if his life depended on it.

It is good however to train strength-endurance every once in a while. It helps promote progress when stale.

Have you tried 100-rep tricep hell? It helps much with dealing with fatigue mentally.

Buenas suertes.

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    when I started WSB my strength endurence went down allot.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 06-08-2002 at 01:02 PM.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    It looks like my strenght and endurance in the chest is coming back now. If it continues like this I will be back as before in a week or 2

Thread Information