xxxl83 is offline Productive Member

Plyometrics for Bench press training

In the May issue of PL USA there's an article about using plyometrics to train your bench, according to the article it would be used like westsides dynamic bench training which makes sense as most of the principles are the same as far as reversal speed, bar speed and training percentages.
    I know plyometrics are widely used in sports training to develop speed and explosivness but this is the first time I've heard of it being used for training the bench press.
    Just like to know if anyone has used plyometrics for their bench work, or if there are any opinions about the topic.

xxxl83

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    What exactly is Plyometrics?

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    I thought that speed bench was plyometrics to train your benchpress?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Can't say I have heard of it being used in that context but I,m interested as to whether anyone has used it in this manner

Jagermeister,

I guess in a way speed bench is plyometrics, but with true plyometrics there is no deceleration phase like there is with the bench press. If you look at it as "plyometric exercises are charcterized by a powerful, explosive muscular contraction in response to an imediate, prior, rapid dynamic loading of the involved muscles" as it's put in the article then I can see where you're coming from.

The only thing with that point of view is you do not make full use of the said contraction but, because of the deceleration process that takes place in the bench press. If you are using the correct percentages you should be throwing the bar into the air and out of your hands. This is not quite how speed benches are performed so near the top of the movement there is a deceleration process.

This is where a medicine ball can be used to train the bench press. The lifter lays on their back on the floor and has a partner drop the ball the lifter then catches the ball and immediately propels the ball straight up to the ceiling. The partner then catches the ball and repeats for another rep. These are called power drops the article recomends 5 sets of 2-5 reps. They give a specific formula as to what height to drop the ball from depending on how heavy the ball is and what the lifters 1RM is.

I will post the exact equation with an example of how to use later on or if anyone wants it they can PM me and I'll get it to them.

I hope a cleared up some of the questions reguarding this topic I should have been a little more infomative from the start.

Stay Strong,

xxxl83
    Last edited by xxxl83; 06-08-2002 at 03:23 PM.

jbrand is offline Member
    I have mixed emotions about bench press "speed training". Bench throws are definetely a surefire way to increase explosiveness and power in the lift (even when done around 55% 1RM) but the injury potential is pretty high in comparison to other means of plyometric training. By definition plyometric training requires acceleration through the entire movement, the westside principles I read up on sort of defies the law of plyometrics (ie: box squats) but bench throws seems to meet the criteria in which the bar is basically "dropped to the chest" and the reflex of "catching" the bar alows for a strong stretch, but the question that strikes me is if it will develop speed through the entire ROM.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by xxxl83
    Jagermeister,

I guess in a way speed bench is plyometrics, but with true plyometrics there is no deceleration phase like there is with the bench press. If you look at it as "plyometric exercises are charcterized by a powerful, explosive muscular contraction in response to an imediate, prior, rapid dynamic loading of the involved muscles" as it's put in the article then I can see where you're coming from.

The only thing with that point of view is you do not make full use of the said contraction but, because of the deceleration process that takes place in the bench press. If you are using the correct percentages you should be throwing the bar into the air and out of your hands. This is not quite how speed benches are performed so near the top of the movement there is a deceleration process.

This is where a medicine ball can be used to train the bench press. The lifter lays on their back on the floor and has a partner drop the ball the lifter then catches the ball and immediately propels the ball straight up to the ceiling. The partner then catches the ball and repeats for another rep. These are called power drops the article recomends 5 sets of 2-5 reps. They give a specific formula as to what height to drop the ball from depending on how heavy the ball is and what the lifters 1RM is.
    xxxl83
    That's a great exercise xxxl, one of my personal favorites as far as developing explosiveness. When I die, bury me next to a swiss ball.

Jbrand I agree with you but this is why the Power Drops with the medicine ball I described above seems like a good idea. As for westsides speed bench training they may not be utilizing the effect to it's max potential but the results speak for themsevles.

The box squat is really the oposite of plyometrics as you want to eliminate the concetric - eccentric chain thus eliminating the stretch reflex at the bottom of the movement.

Another idea concerning bench throws, yes they are dangerous but, using a smith machine to perform them may also have some benifits, still dangerous yes but maybe a risk worth taking with the proper mental focus and a good training partner.

xxxl83

Jbrand,

you're to fast for me man didn't even give me chance to respond.
    On the ball I like that. I hope you're not planning on checking out anytime soon we need guys like you with good info to share around so lets try to hold off on the funeral.

xxxl83

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by xxxl83
    Jbrand,

you're to fast for me man didn't even give me chance to respond.
    On the ball I like that. I hope you're not planning on checking out anytime soon we need guys like you with good info to share around so lets try to hold off on the funeral.

xxxl83
    I'm not going anywhere bro. I have been told that it is a hazardous practice to attach a swiss ball to a moving vehicle going 80mph+ while trying to maintain your balance via stabilizer muscles, so maybe I'll put that idea on hold

Last minute thought/Public Service Announcement: Please yield to people on inflatable blue balls on the LIE. Thank you.
    Last edited by jbrand; 06-08-2002 at 03:55 PM.

I will have to try that medicin ball exercise, looks interesting.

But about speed bench, I have heard that you drop the bar 3-4" off your chest and reverse it as fast as you can.

How do you exactly to this?

Jagermeister,

You drop the bar and catch it 3-4" above your chest then reverse the bar as fast as possible.

thanks

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    no way speed nech reps are awesome for explosion, plus its good to mix it up, yeah medicine ball works good too.
    peace

Thread Information