It would be great.

juss inked that

dun know you got the support

palme is offline Rosie Member
    You got my vote.

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    all signed lg!!!!

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    Powerlifting is too divided to be a olympic sport, its not like weightlifting where there is 1 set of rules and everyone abids by them. There are a dozen different factions of Powerlifting, each with there own rules and regulations.

and look at all the peaple who compete, or competed in WPO meets like the Arnold Classic Bench Bash. None of those peaple could compete in the olympics, because they were paid.

and, the IPF is practically the Olympics of powerlifting already.

Im not saying that powerlifting should not be a olympic sport, I am just saying that I dont see it happening any time soon.

Jager

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    This might be true..it wont happen anytime soon...you said wpo have allready been paid, and they cant compete?? Well, how bout the basketball??those guys are NBA, theyve been paid...weight lifting has a bunch of organizations....why couldnt powerlifting just have a set of olympic rules??? your correct, it wont happen anytime soon, but i guees its possible..

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    if you were paid for playing a sport then you were a professional athlete, and they dont allow professional athletes in the olympics, only amatures, and if you win, or place in WPO you win money, therefore you are a professional.

About basketball: "The situation changed dramatically in 1992, when the International Basketball Federation decided to allow professional players to take part in the Olympics. The U. S. "Dream Team," made up primarily of NBA stars."

but for almost all the other sports, like baseball, you still have to be a amature to play

you could have 1 set of rules for the olympics, but what rules would they be? you could set it up like the IPF, but then all the peaple in the other 2 ply organizations would get mad. and If you did allow double ply, then all the purists would get mad.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 07-28-2002 at 11:46 AM.

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    i think it would be a disaster if powerlifting made it to the olympics

my list of reasons

1. politics, politics, politics

2. the only legitimate powerlifters would be the ones who 'made it' to the olympics. everyone else would be considered second rate even though they trained harder, were better, etc. if you look at how the olympics work, a lot of making it is determined by who you know, how rich your family is and whether they can buy you a coach, etc.... powerlifting is a working class sport. most of the successful lifters i know have also developed careers to go along with their athletic ability.

3. we would be stuck to a set of rules made up by some independant committee. i personally like to see innovation in gear, etc. i think it creates a safer training environment, and makes powerlifting a more extreme and fun sport. if we see ipf-like rules regarding equipment, i think this will diminish some of the funness/innovation factor of the sport.

i could go on and on.... but i wont. like someone already said, if you want the prestige of organized and highly governed world competition, go to the IPF.

take care.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I agree it would be an IPF atmosphere. And thats fine to an extent but there rules , and the fact that they would be reconized as the best. I am for it but powerlifting is so divided the ones that would go arent in my feds so it wouldnt have an impact on me in the least.

But for th eones that compete in those feds i hope it one day happens for ya!

Thread Information