broncojosh is offline Senior Member

lower back needs the work, and i can't find anything else that comes close to doing what deadlifts do

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I haven't done a full DL since I started WSB. Goodmornings kill my back and stiff leg DL's finish it off.

I hit a personal best in my bent-leg gm last night, 315lb x1

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    I have been doing a WSB routine for the last year, have done max effort pulls off the floor once in the last year, and have added 95lbs to my DL. We work the muscles that do the DL, instead of deadlifting. Reverse Hypers, Glute Ham Raises, Good Morning's, and Dynamic Box Squats will make your posterior plenty strong, and help avoid CNS burnout too.

Ermantroudt

TeenMyth is offline New Member
    I deadlift every other week. And when I pull, I pull heavy. On the week I dont pull, ill do: Rack Pulls (heavy), Reverse Hypers (moderate), Speed pulls (light). The only thing I do thats WS is reverse hypers. I feel that Pulling every other week, really helps he out, it lets me keep my form intact. WS they pull like every 7 weeks or every 14 weeks. Like broncojosh said nothing comes close to what deadlifts do. Pulling more often, will get you strong. And thats a fact.

BELLICOSE is offline Banned
    i hit deads every week, so far i keep progressing in weight. Went from 275 for 8 to 340 for 8 in three months. When i stop getting stronger i might start doing them less.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Bent leg Good mornings are GM's with a slight bend at the knees.

Here's a vid for you. Click on heavy good mornings.
    www.joeskopec.com/assist.html

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I hit'em every week. It's one of my favorite excercises.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    First of all If your training your DL and squat seperately you will surely overtrain the involved muscles as they are primarily used in both lifts.
    Second like ermantroudt stated you will also burn out your CNS if training both lifts heavy. This is why you should use the conjugate method, if you learn one thing from WSB it should be that you don't have to do a specific lift to improve that lift. In other words you don't have to and shouldn't deadlift to improve your deadlift. If you do you will only improve your strengths and make your weak areas weaker. Your lift is only as strong as it's weakest aspect. You need to target your problem area in the lift then train specificly to improve that aspect by using special exercises.

Hope I've answered you question clearly,

xxxl83

Blah, Blah, Blah............................

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    Like erman, and others have said, you don't have to work the deadlift directly. you can use other things like reverse hyper, gm's, ect.

This is what I do after my ME squat workout

The first week do 16 singles at 60%, the second week do 14 singles at 65%, the third week do 12 singles at 70%, the fourth week do 10 singles at 75%, the fifth week do 8 singles at 80%, the sixth week do 6 singles at 85%. Only take 30 to 90 seconds rest between sets
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 07-24-2002 at 12:09 AM.

Jager:
    Is that a Compensatory Acceleration Training routine you are using for your DL training?

Ermantroudt

Originally posted by TeenMyth
    Blah, Blah, Blah............................
    What are you replying too?

Ermantroudt

I was replying to all the brain washed people.

Teen Myth:
    By brainwashed people are you talking about those of us who use WSB Methods?

Also, I would like to respond to some of the information from your first post in this thread:

"I feel that Pulling every other week, really helps he out, it lets me keep my form intact. WS they pull like every 7 weeks or every 14 weeks."

The use of Dynamic DL's is a personal issue, many of their lifters, who feel they need to mantain their form, pull every week; after Box Squatting.

"Like broncojosh said nothing comes close to what deadlifts do."

Nothing personal, but if I had to find someone to quote, Dave, Louie, Dr. Siff, Medvedyev, Brent Miksell, Verkhoshansky, A.S Prilepin, Bill Starr, and Vladimir Zatsiorsky might be better sources of information than, "Bronco Josh".

"Pulling more often, will get you strong. And thats a fact."

What is it about the DL, that promotes more strength gains than Box Squatting, with bands especially? We do not deadlift too often as: "If you do all deadlifting, it is a matter of time before your deadlift will stall, or even worse, injury will stop all progress. Why? No ones body will equally distribute the work evenly between the lower, mid, and upper back. If the lower back takes the major role in deadlifting, which is most often the case, eventually an injury will occur. But by doing a variety of special exercises for the upper back, the muscles of the entire back are more likely to receive equal work. These exercises include shrugs, lat work, spinal erec-tor work, good mornings, back raises, reverse hyperextensions, glute/ham raises, sled work, and pull-throughs." Louie

This quote is from the article, "Overcoming Plateaus Part 2:
    THE DEADLIFT." It can be found at: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls22.htm

It is a fact that doing any exercise will make you stronger than you were when you started, but the real question is will using it allow you to continue to set meet PR's and/or reach an elite total?

Ermantroudt

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    You should never dl every week! your glutes and hams will never recover..back before i did WS training, i still only pulled once every 2 weeks, that alternating week, i would do partials in a rack, or stiff legg dl...I never pulled the last 2 weeks before e meet either, was always felt fresh and stronger doing this..I have an official 777 DL at 275..

Ermantroudt
    "but the real question is will using it allow you to continue to set meet PR's and/or reach an elite total?"

Yes, because I set PR's in meets and I have an elite total.

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    Erman,
    "Is that a Compensatory Acceleration Training routine you are using for your DL training?"

I found it on Matt Hawkins overview of WSB, and it has been working pretty well.

Thread Information