MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

i am not trying to flame

i am not trying to flame but i want to ask why all the powerlifters have a huge not fit abs

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    sorry,

shouldn't have posted that
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 07-24-2002 at 12:05 AM.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    newbieguy,

First of all not all powerlifters have a big gut, in fact there are many powerlifters that look better than most bodybuilders. Second a six pack is not one of our training goals. Thrid powerlifters have in most cases stronger abs than BBers and we train our abs quite often as we need them to stablize the heavy weights we routinely lift.
    I'm not flaming either but try not to be ignorant.

xxxl83

hey hey hey take it easy guys i am a bodybuilder and i like to do powerliftifting more than BB but i cxant coz i am a newbie i am 6.2 and i weight 200 lbs i dont think i can do powerlifting

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Newbieguy,

If your serious about wanting to powerlift there's no better time to start then the present. This is a great board with many knowledgable members willing to help out. Try going to www.elitefts.com and read the articles there. If you've been training for a long time you will be amazed with how many training methods and techniques you've never heard of or seen. To many this type of training is a new and exciting change from the regular BB BS.

Good luck,

xxxl83

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    The waist of many powerlifters looks bigger than a BBer's, because the abs and obliques are worked with heavy weight, which under clothing can appear to be fat. As for not being able to PL, when I started I was 6'3" 205, and they let me lift. If you want to do something, you have to start somewhere.

Ermantroudt

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    PL's are concerned with strength and not looks. Strength has nothing to do with looks, otherwise Mr. Olympia would be the strongest around, and we know that's not the case.

hmm i will talk today with my coach and i will ask him if i can make a transfer to the PL gym
    and i want to ask how u work abs with heavy weights!!

Pull-Down Abs, Decline Bench or Roman Chair Sit-up's with plates held on the chest, Spread Eagle Abs with weight held on the chest, Side Bends, Full Contact Twist, Ab Wheel with chain loaded on your back, and Chain loaded Leg Lifts.

Ermantroudt

wow i dont know anything about those last workouts interesting

Decline Bench or Roman Chair Sit Ups: Sit on a Roman Chain bench with your feet in the support. Tighten your ABS and lower to a 70 degree angle, pause for two second the return keeping your abs tight. You may need to hold a dumbbell for added resistance.

Pull Down Abs: Begin by placing a rope or leather tricep handle on the lat pulldown machine. face away from the machine and grab the rope behind your head with both hands. Perform the movement in the same motion as a deadlift. Start by pushing your abs out then tighten them as hard as you can. Bend over at the waist until your torso goes below parallel to the floor. Reverse the motion in the same manner.

Ab Wheel: You've seen these little wheel gizmos at Wal-Mart. They look like lawnmower wheels with bicycle handles shoved through them. The packaging usually shows a smiling aerobics instructor-looking chick in a convenient doggy-style position.

I blew these devices off for years because, well, they were usually sitting right beside the pink dumbbells and the solar suits! Don't make this mistake. These little bastards are vicious, effective, and a favorite of the Soviet special forces. You can also use a barbell loaded with 25s if you don't want to lay out $10 on a wheel (you cheap bastard, you).

Get down on your knees, Bob Paris style, and grab the wheel in your hands. Inhale, round the back maximally, and tuck in your butt and chin. Your hips should be vertical, and your back shouldn't be arched. The butt should never be sticking out backward.

Slowly roll all of the way down until your chest just grazes the floor. Without resting, pull yourself back up, keeping your arms straight and your back rounded. If you can't come up, just do the eccentric (lowing part) of the movement until you get stronger.

If you're really (and I do mean really) strong, you can try the advanced version in which you don't touch your knees to the floor. Instead, stay up on your feet. I tested about 25 high school and college athletes on this movement, and only one was able to perform this advanced version. Consequently, this athlete is considered to be the best high school fullback in the area and starts for varsity as a sophomore. Can you say "free college?"

Full-Contact Twist: According to Pavel, most twisting movements that target the obliques are useless and dangerous. Instead, use full contact twists, thus named because they help martial artists and boxers develop punching power (only about 20% of a boxer's punching power comes from the arm, pec, and shoulder—the rest is initiated from the hip and midsection). These are also a favorite power exercise of shot-putters or, at least, Russian ones.

Load a barbell on one side and put the empty end in the corner, just as if you're going to perform old-school T-bar rows. Facing the bar, lift up and hold it in front of you with your fingers interlocked. The bar should be about 45 degrees from the floor. Keep your back and arms straight, and your knees bent.

Remaining upright and keeping your arms straight, inhale and turn the weight to one side while holding your breath. Don't lean over or away from the bar. Pivot on your toes at the same time to avoid shearing force on your knees.

Reverse the movement by tightening up your midsection and rotating your hips. Don't lift with your arms and shoulders, and don't exhale until you reach the top of the lift.

Spread Eagle Abs: Place legs in a "V" or spread eagle position and so that they can be held stationary (possibly under a squat rack) then do sit-ups with weight held to forehead.

Ermantroudt

oh thanx for those good informations
    i want to do powerlifting coz i want to enter a wrestling accademie after 1 year coz i think pl will help in lifting

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    If you think all powerlifters have big guts...go to http://www.geocities.com/musclehed27...maiden181.html
    thats pics of me and fiancee..do you think were slobs??

oh nice pics and this girl have a great butt lol

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Hey Newbie Guy,

I got Abs. Tons of PL's do. Think of this. And yes you are a newbie! First off there are like twelve weight classes. Since you probably dont subscribe to any PL mags you probably only see the superheavy weights that get so much attention for there absolute lifts. Anthony Clark, Gary Frank, Jamie Harris. Those are the guys you see. The 181 to 275 lb weight class is full of good physiques. Of course there are some bad ones. But under 181 those guys are shredded. The world strongest man contest are mostly all ex superheavy weight Powerlifters. Powerlifting goes from 114,123,132,148,165,181,198,220,242,275,308,SH. Dude you can look at that set of weight classes and tell whos gonna be fat. But.. there are some that are 300 and are built awesome. In my opinion pro Bodybuilders look pretty chubby in there off season (good shape) but by there contest shape they go from 4% to just under 20%. So to some Little ripped guy who is 160 lbs but has great little abs they would look fat. See my point. If you dont, its actually MOST powerlifters are not fat.

deciever is offline Associate Member
    im a power lifter, i have a six pack, i get it complimented by girls if im by a pool sometimes. So, not all powerlifters, have huge, not fit abs... one of my friends is a 157lber, and is ripped as hell, and squats almost 5bills.

If you go to a powerlifting meet, you'll realize not many powerlifters are fat.

Kennelly's is offline New Member
    We're not fat! By any means!

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Here is a couple of pics of me.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xdecieverx/lst?.dir=/PL

I will not be mistaken for a bodybuilder, but doubt I quite fit the fat slob mold either. I aspire to have the physiques and lifts of Mr. Kennelly, Musclehead 275 and PowerlifterJay, but you have to start somewhere.

And we are all sensitive to this one cause bodybuilders are always ragging us saying we are fat and don't look good. So don't get too excited - threadstarter. Big abs are much more important than pretty ones. Helps stabilize the squat and shortens the stroke for bench.

B.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Man I hate hearing this all of the time from people. They ask you about how you train and you tell them your a powerlifter and they always say, why powerlift, why not bodybuild, powerlifters have those guts and bald heads lol. I am a powerlifter, I have a bald head, but Im not really fat. I dont look like a fitness model from Mens Health and I sure dont look like a bodybuilder, I look like someone that lifts weights and has functional muscle. I have a little gut but most of mine comes from the fact that I have a sway back and my stomach sticks out more than most peoples. I have abs as well but I have to flex them to see them. My bodyfat is higher than a bodybuilders is at contest time but lower than most peoples. And besides the fact that some are fat, most are not. I think a lot of the reason people think this is because a lot of the heavy weights are in the magazines and also the fact that any fat guy in the gym that is just there trying to "get in shape" or "tone up" claims he is a powerlifter because they know they cant claim bodybuilder status looking like they do. At least this is what I see in my hometown.

Thread Information