BigBad is offline Banned

Question Week Before A Meet

I have a meet coming up Aug 17th, and I've heard different things on what people should do the week before a meet. Some say to take the whole week off and others have said to go in on Monday (if your meet is on a Sat.) warm-up, and do your opening lifts/1st attempts. Which of these (or others) do you do???
    Also, has anyone taken a water pill Mon-Thurs (if the meet is on Sat) and then started pumping water FrI and Sat to drop a few extra lbs, or would that just dehydrate you and increase the possibility for injury?
    Thanks for your help bro's, I really appreciate it!!! -BigBad
    "You can measure a man's height, you can measure a man's weight, but you CANNOT measure the size of a man's heart."

RCK
    RCK is offline Junior Member
    well here's my .02,i use my shirt the saturday before(aug 10) and do my opener.my contest is also aug 17.don't go any later than monday to do an opener,thats even too close for me,but some do it that way.do a little light tricep work no latter than wednesday,preferably tuesday,than rest till saturday.also ,is it your first meet?do you use a shirt?....how much weight you trying to lose ?.....give me some stats and i can try tio help.PEACE

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    The week before a meet:
    Sunday: Normal Dynamic BP
    Monday: Normal Maximum Effort Sq/Dl using Arched Back GM's as the ME movement. Later on that day, 100 rep light bands pressdown's

Tuesday: Average Band GM's: 3x20, Abs and 100 rep light bands pressdown's

Wednesday: Maximum Effort Bp, without the ME movement
    Thursday: Abs and 100 rep light bands pressdown's
    Friday: Get weighted in and eat
    Saturday: Showtime

Ermantroudt

solidj55 is offline Member
    The week of the meet I usually just go in the gym one day and do some really light weight exercises. For example on bench I may only go up to 185 for a triple and this is when I was about a 385lb bencher. Then I would hit some really light pushdowns and rows, thats it. Bro the best thing to do is try what you think will be the best this time and if it doenst work, try something else next time. I tried doing a regular DE day before a meet and didnt like it so I will never do it again. By the way this is my first post here.

BigBad is offline Banned
    Oh, I almost forgot...I can't make the early weigh-ins on Friday so, I have to weigh in @ 7 am on Sat. Should I starve myself (not literally) until 7 am and then pound some fats and complex carbs right after I weigh in?

Only 2 pounds to worry about? No I wouldnt starve myself. I never lift the week of a meet except for the Monday before like I said and actually my weight always stays the same. I would just keep an eye out during the week to see how much, if any, it fluctuates. If it starts to go up some then drop a few grams of carbs and you should lose a few pounds of water. You should weigh Monday morning the week of the meet on an empty stomach to see how much you weigh. I would say on an empty stomach you will make weight if your only two pounds over. If this is the case then just do what I stated above and also you should probably stop eating around 12-15 hours before your morning weigh in and definetly try not to drink water past about 5:00pm. Then get up take a piss, shit, whatever and go weigh in. You should be set. Just keep an eye on the weight through out the week to make sure you dont gain too much. I think youll be ok though. This all may sound jumbled, let me know if it doesnt make sense and Ill try to explain it better. Hope I helped.

BigBad is offline Banned
    Solidj55, thanks for your help brother (it makes a lot of sense)...much obliged!!!

No problem man, good luck, let us know how everything turns out. By the way, after weigh ins I would have some sort of Gatorade, Poweraide, etc. to drink to get you hydrated fast because youll suffer a little dehydration if you stop eating and drinking at 5pm on Friday and dont get to have anything until after weigh ins. Also bring some good food to eat as well. Nothing too heavy or too starchy that may make you feel tired or bloated lol, unless you can handle it.

deciever is offline Associate Member
    the week of my meets, if its on a saturday, i'll go in on tuesday and shirt up and hit my opener. Usually sometime about 14-15 days ebfore the meet, i'll hit my dead opener. Than usually the thursday before i shirt up i'll take my squat opener, and do it once or twice.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I have two approaches. If i feel like i need one more week in the shirt i go in Monday warmup like a meet and do opener. Then i go home. I will do light back on tuesd (no pulling), then light legs on wed. Thats for a bench only meet.

Full power meet i do nothing. But if its a big bench meet i skip the whole week also.

Normally i on a normal week i train Mon , Tues, Thurs, Fri. Any kind a benchmeet that comes up wether i train or not i need 2 days of nothing before that minimum.

Thread Information