solidj55 is offline Member

Gaining weight and keeping strength in proportion to weight gain

Just curious as to how you guys do this. I have no problem gaining weight what so ever. The thing is, I dont gain strength in proportion to the amount of weight I gain. I know its not going to be immediate but what is like when you guys gain weight? For example I went from 165 to 195 within a few months. Ok when I was 165 I benched 350 with a loose single ply poly and could bench around 330 raw. When I gained weight and went up to 195 my raw strength improved to where I could hit 330 for a double maybe a triple. Now this was when I was training a raw bench rather than Westside so I dont know how it would work with Westside. My reps with lighter weights seemed to go way up. For example at 165 I could only hit 5 or 6 reps with 275 raw, but when I weighed 195 I was hitting 275 for 12. Maybe it was all in the way I was training, I dont know. What is everyones take on this? The reason I ask is because currently I am holding at 181 and making gains in strength but Im trying to decide whether or not to go up in weight to see if I get stronger, faster. I had a back injury that put me out of things for several months so I am trying to get back to where I was before. I was planning to stay at or around 180-185 and see if I could get as strong as I was when I was 195 and then go up in weight, what do you guys think???

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I dont have the exact on this but here is what i think. Whenyou gain weight you have to keep it for while. I can gain 10lbs and get nothign strenght wise but if i keep it i grow into it. Thats the only way i can describe it. On the other hand gaining 30lbs drug free is different then gainig 30lbs on gear. YOu may have got the same results gainig 15lbs. Then you maintian it then lose it slowly and you will keep at least 85% of what you gain. Thats JM Blakelys theory anyway. When bulking and try to gain strength keep intesity high( no bariner) but keep reps low and intense.

p03t1c is offline New Member
    i think it's best to gain weight due to leverage. at least this is the way dave tate explained it to me. you have certain leverage issues due to whatever body type you have, and normally, it's just plain easier to lift bigger weights when you're heavier.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    The way we look at weight gain and strength is this: Get the total you want at whatever body weight it takes, then work on getting the same (or bigger) total at lower bodyweights. You will have to hold onto the mass for a while for it to help you lift more.

Ermantroudt

Thread Information