NightOp is offline Member

My Westside Experience

I've been training BB style (w/ lots of different routines and principles...) for over 2 years now, and have finally decided to get into PL'ing. I've been reading non-stop at www.elitefts.com (articles) and have been talking to ermantroudt and johan about the Westside Barbell PLing (WSB for short). I was gonna wait a few weeks to begin westside training, however, the more I read about it, the more I wanted to start, so I started today with my first ME Squat Day.

I'm gonna post updates on this thread throughout the next 9 weeks (i'm doing Dave Tate's 9 Week Basic Training program which can be found at the previously mentioned link) and post any questions that I run into, which I'm sure will be quite a few... this style of training is nothing like anything I've ever done, and so far I love it.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Good luck nightop,
    Glad to see your going to take a serious run at westside most people think they know all there is to training (from reading BS BBing mags) but thats not the case. I look at westside sort of like a continuing ed course.
    In fact I'm going to the "Tour de Force" seminar this comming weekend.
    I bet you'll be more than happy with your progress using that routine.
    remember though thats just a basic guide you may have to change a few things to taylor it for you personal goals.

stay strong

xxxl83

thanks xxxl83, I was one of those ppl who thought I knew alot about BBing because when sufficient food and motivation was available, I could really pack on some lbm, but I also quickly lose it and realized that I care too much how I look and can't even lift any remarkable numbers. That's why I'm converting to PL style training, and yes I realize some mods can be done to the 9 week program... I'm doing pull throughs instead of reverse hypers and have added a very small amount of bicep work... like I said ermantroudt and johan have been very helpful with details such as this... form is my number one concern as this point in time because good mornings and all of these other "less common" lifts feel rather strange to me, but I know I'll get used to them. Thanks for the reply

thanks Diesel,

I just finished ME Bench Day and get more motivated with each workout. My numbers are pathetic but thats because I want to be sure I'm getting my form correct and my mind set as to the principles, and I have never done any real strength work for a long time to begin with.

The most challenging thing so far has been keeping my elbows in and tight while I bench... I'm so used to using my pecs with my arms out rather than my triceps with them in that when the weight gets heavy on the concentric, my elbows start to kick out... I know it will take some time before my neurological control of the movements develop/mature..

Ok, did DE Squat day yesterday.

DE Box Squats
    Pull-Throughs 3 sets of 8
    Calf Raises 2 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Rows 3 sets of 6
    Barbell Shrugs 2 sets of 15

The DE movement is something I really really need to work on for both from and explosiveness. I will also be moving up the sets on some of the assistance work as-per the 9 week program instructions.

Overall, I love this type of training. Its hard to go from a BB style routine right into this, but I'm enjoying the change.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Glad to see you started. I'm on week 8 and can't wait to max out next week and see what my improvements have been. At first you'll have a sore lower back, but that will change in a few weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

thnx vegas, i would love to hear how you've improved as well, take care.

Okay guys... update

Just finishing week 2 and so far things are going great. I'm still learning the proper form (especially the bench form) and getting used to this type of routine. I started week one with only doing about two thirds of the assistance sets and was barely finishing the workouts within an hour.. now after week 2 im up to doing all the assistance sets and finishing in under an hour

BTW- welcome to all the new board members around here.

Thread Information