lifter405 is offline Junior Member

got a question about westside bench training

on max effort day i am doing my max effort exercise whatever that may beand then finish with jm press heavy with mini bands doubled up. but on my dynamic day i don't think i am supposed to do jm press again. is that right? should i do the jm's on both days? should i just do the speed work and that's it? or should i do somethingelse after the speed benches? thanks guys, any help would be great. peace.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    You can do the JMs again if you want. Or pick another exercise. The key is to not to one exercise for too long. You need to do more than just Speed benches on speed day. One week could look like this:

ME Day
    1. ME core lift
    2. Triceps (JMs, DB exts, Tates, 5-board press...pick one exercise)
    3. Lats/Upper Back (pick 1-2 exercises)
    4. Shoulders (1 exercise)
    5. abs

Speed Day
    1. Speed Bench
    2. Triceps (the same exercise or something different)
    3. Lats/Upperback
    4. Shoulders
    5. Abs

Check out my site under 'Training Info'....I am doing bench only right now using Westside, and I have outlined my work week. Hope this helps.

Chad T.
    <a href="http://www.Carolinapower.net" target="_blank">www.Carolinapower.net</a>

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    I think that what works really well is to do some type of tri movement that works tris primarily one day a week like jm's ,dunbell skulls, barbell skulls ect. like on max day
    Then on speed day work on you tri lockout like pin press for three to five reps or four or five board for three to five reps. with and without bands or chiains.
    This is what am going to work with for the next three months.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    We typically work two tri movements, a pressing movement and an extension movement. For example: JM's 4x5 and Tate Press 4x10

Ermantroudt

Boy do I have a lot to learn about powerlifting, good thing I've started to check out this board.

lifter405 is offline Junior Member
    ok, i understand now, i am supposed to switch up the tri exercises every week. thanks guys. also, i have no clue what a tate press is. could someone please explain that for me?

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Elbows Out Extensions or Tate Press:
    This movement is great for bringing up the lower part of the tricep. The best benchers all seem to be very thick around the lower upper arm region. This is where this movement comes into play. To do this you begin with a set of dumbbells sitting on your chest with one end facing up. The butt or back ends of the dumbbells should be touching each other. When you begin the lift you are doing a cross between an extension and press. Make sure to keep the butts of the bells together throughout the entire lift.

Ermantroudt

Thread Information