Thread: Training gear

bigokie is offline Junior Member

Training gear

Just wondering what you guys train in. I know some of you train all the time in squat suits or briefs. I need to get some and was gonna order them soon and was curious to see what you guys use, brand wise and size wise.

Also, question for Irish. I've been watching your videos and saw that you wear a shirt that looks like a poly in some of your videos when doing board presses. Do you still wear one?

Thanks

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I train in grrove briefs for squats. And only wrist wraps on benching. I use no bench shirts in training until 4 or 5 weeks out from a meet.

When i am gettign ready to squat a max i put suit bottoms on for 3 weeks then suit straps up 2 to 3 weeks out. Deadlift nogear except belt.

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Bigokie, I train squats with a z-suit with the straps down. Irish is using a 40 dollar Inzer blast in those pics. He just ordered one that fit, and cut the back completely out of it. I am going to do the same thing pretty quick.

I am about to get some briefs from Frantz to use instead of the Z-suit.

B.

Thanks guys. I think that's a good idea on the Blast shirt to train in. Did he just cut the back or did he sew it up so it won't split? I think the Fury shirt will be good for something similar, hopefully. They said it will get here Sat or Mon!!!

Do you guys use the Briefs or suits every week for Dyn and ME work? Or just dyn stuff? Also, how tight are the training briefs, suits, that you guys wear?

jimmydean is offline New Member
    We use briefs only for dyn squat/dead day. The pair that I wear are Inzer's that I've had forever. PLJay wears an old suit with the straps cut off.

IrishPower is offline Junior Member

gear warfare

Dynamic squat days

groove briefs and belt (both worn loose)... if i go up to where the top end (chains+bands) is over 90% of my max, I tighten the belt

Max Effort Lower Back Days:

wide stance work: groove briefs... work up to 3 reps with no belt... add belt and work up to single

narrow stance work: work up to 3 reps with no belt... add belt and work up to single

Dynamic Bench:
    speed work: no gear
    anything over 315: single poly cut up back

ME Bench:
    anything over 315: single poly cut up back
    close to competition: i use my denim once or twice to relearn the groove and see where i am at

hope this helps!

I am with Irish on this one. I use my denim more often than he does, of course cause I do shirt/board every other week or so, but regarding the poly for over 315, I don't have one that fits right now, but I used Kim's size 62 cut out the back got basically no help from it, and benched 405 after speed work.

The 405 if I had gone raw, even if I had benched it, would have hurt like a bastard. My shoulder would be killing me even now 2 or 3 days later. Instead, I did it, felt fine doing it, and felt fine ever since. I am ordering a single ply blast that fits pretty soon.

Also gotta get some good Groove Briefs from Frantz.

B.

Thanks guys that's what I was looking for.

I ordered a champion suit and a single ply shirt, both to train in. I figure this will get me by for a while til I decide what kind of equipment I want to compete in.

Irish quick question, I ordered a single ply to train in and was gonna cut the back to keep from having to squeeze into it each time. Did you do anything to the back other than just cutting it?

Thanks again for all your replies.

I ain't Irish, but I have asked him the same question, so I happen to know, he just pulled it out of the box and took scissors to the back of it.

See ya Sunday.

B.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Not to state the obvious, but just make sure you cut only the back of it. I had a friend lay a shirt down, and proceed to cut through it...except he cut through the front..and back...literally cutting the shirt in half.

Chad T.
    www.carolinapower.net

musc2002pa,

That's hilarious. I bet he was PISSED! I don't know how it will work but if Irish likes it it can't be too bad. Will let you know how I like it next week.

Later and thanks for replies

Thread Information