jimmydean is offline New Member
    The more time you have to rehydrate and eat, the better. Definitely the day before. The feds we compete in have at least 24 hour weighins.

p03t1c is offline New Member
    i agree with jimmydean. if you can increase the time you have to rehydrate and get food down, the better off you are losing weight without losing strength. it's much better to lose 5-10 lbs in one night and then immediately put it back on then to lose weight over a longer period of time. some people are good enough to lift weighing more than they did when they started to lose weight.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Ya if theres a 24 hr weigh in do it. Big difference. If your gonna do the morning of make sure the weigh in is at least 3 hrs before you lift. And drink alot of gatorade and eat good. But if you weigh in the moringi of dont lose more then 5lbs. A 24 hr weigh in you could lose 10 and be safe.

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    You can easily lose 3-5 lbs in one day without diuretics just by cutting out every liquid and eating zero carbs and little of anything really. It SUCKS but if you want to weih in light than its much better than the morning because you can carb load emediatly after and replenish fluids. 15 hours is plenty. YOiu can even start to cut weight 2 or 3 days out if you want to make it easier , just use the same methods but not so harsh.
    I think the biggest reason tha you should weigh in the day before is simple mental relaxation. You Get better sleep and do not have to worry about anything but the lifts for the rest of teh night instead of constantly wondering if you ae going to weigh in right or not. just my.02

You can always get pedialite. Mix it with gatorade and drink a ton of it. The night before you can lose it and get it back. You dont need a Diuratic unless your going to lose alot and fast. I have used over the counter water pills and they worked ok. A day or so out you can eat steakand coffee and you'll lose a bit. You can always right beofe you weigh in get a scale and get in the sauna and cold shouwer , back n sauna then cold shower. Repeat till gone. Thats good for the last 5 lbs. if you wiehg in the morning of the day before just eat light and drink little and only water. Use an enema in th emoring and weigh. Then rehydrate. But no more them 5lbs. I did 8 lbs last march and it sucked. Always weigh in the night before.

Wake Chick is offline Female Member
    All the meets I've been so far (except for state) required us to weigh in that same morning which SUCKS!! I've had a couple really close calls, Where my gyms scale said I was perfect, but their scale was different, so I had to put on tons and tons of sweats and just run to get the last 2 pounds off. It was horrible, and showed in my lifts As for diuretics, nope.
    Wake chicks- We make your boat look good.

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    if you only have 1 - 2 lbs to lose, then you should really be able to do that by following the advice by others here.

if you are going to use a diuretic, make sure you know what you are doing. you can probably even find a doc to give you a mild one.

Kennelly's is offline New Member
    You sound exactly like Melissa the past few weeks. She needed to make sure she stayed in her weight class and was borderline. What she did worked excellent....water manipulation.

We competed on Saturday and on Monday and Tuesday she drank 2 gallons of water. On Wednesday 1 gallon and then on Thursday a 1/2 gallon. It pushed all of the water out and then on Friday she tried to not drink as much as possible and eat very lightly until after weigh ins. She made weight with no problems. Then after weigh ins she drank pop and salty potato chips to try to purposly retain as much water as possible. We also ordered a pizza and tried to force down as many carbs as we could. She was able to make weight again the following week doing the same thing, so I'm sure that it works.

Diuretics can be dangerous, but I'm sure as a last resort they will work. Only thing is that some of them take water from your muscle and that is NOT what you want! Try to stick to water tricks and I think you'll be suprised at how much you can lose. You could also try increasing your fiber, that can help also.

Like we said though, Melissa did do this and was successful with it and she too was worried about being over a pound or two, but in the end she had 5 pounds to spare.

Good advice Kennelly's. You are right in that you can manipulate water and lose a good amount. Normall that is all i do. Unless i drop 2 weight classes. But thats another story!

Along with watr i may do a mild carb depletion as well. MIld on a 24hr weighin, none of course for a morning of weigh in. Just water and eat light for a morning of. And thats only if you are 5 lb or under. 24 hour you can go 5 to 10. 48hr (WPO) 20lbs!

Yes carb depletion will work well along with water manipulation also. I wouldn't do extreme carb depletion however, just mild as you said pljay. Those two hand in hand along with increased fiber will allow you to drop up to 10 pounds right before weigh ins. If you test yourself throughout the week you'll stress yourself out because you'll probably be over your weight class because you'll be holding so much water. On Thursday and Friday is when you'll start losing all of the excess and notice your weight drop. By the way.......sleeping might be hell that week because you'll be getting up to go to the bathroom all night, but it's worth it. You also might want to take a one a day vitamin like Centrum or something to make sure you keep your nutrients.

Both of us will be doing this for our next meet because Melissa was so successful with it. If you need any more advice on this let us know.

Last edited by Kennelly's; 08-12-2002 at 01:40 PM.

Double poly with velcro back, VERY TIGHT!!!

Thread Information