Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member

Deadlift help........

I have problem with my deadlift (I have a problem with all the lifts.....but I'm trying to fix this first). I DL conventional with my feet approx. 6 inches apart. The problem is that my hips tend to shoot up first as I attempt the lift.....so I use alot of back. I have had different opinions from other boards in the past concerning which muscle group is the weak link.....normally I hear hamstrings or hips. In the past, manual hamstring curls helped but I don't have the equipment to do those right now. So has anybody else had a similar problem? And how did you fix it?

Other info:

I have long legs relative to my torso.
    When I deadlift off a block (so the bar is literally touching the top of my foot) I can pull the same as when going directly off the ground.
    When doing stiff-legged DL's I can triple 90% of the weight I use for my 1RM regular deadlift (I know its weird!!).
    My squat is pathetic!! and normally fails coming out of the hole.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! (I have been waiting to break 600 for way too long!!).

deciever is offline Associate Member
    i have the same problem. it could be flexibility problem too... i know someone gave me the advice of starting the pull with my legs slightly bent(just pull up a bit) and then dip your hips down and really pull... they said it will make it come off the floor easier. Doing that could hep you keep better deadlift form.

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    It sounds like yu need to evaluate yor Form. So basically you deadlift is a stiff leg dead. YOuir hips come up but the bar does not moveuntil your body is at a stiff leg stance. Try moving yoiur feet farther apart for one. The bar shoul start to move when your hips move. Like youuhave heard befoe it is probably a glute/ham and hip problem. stop pulling off of boards if you do it very often and strenghthen those muscles. Yuo can also tr lihter weights and have someone watch you andget your form corrpect..

DEADLIFT FREAK is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by deciever
    i have the same problem. it could be flexibility problem too... i know someone gave me the advice of starting the pull with my legs slightly bent(just pull up a bit) and then dip your hips down and really pull... they said it will make it come off the floor easier. Doing that could hep you keep better deadlift form.

This is what I do.

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    Thansks for the advice.

Deceiver / Deadlift Freak: I'll give that a try.....I noticed Bfold does the same from his videos.

Grimmer: Its pretty rare for me to lift off a block.....but the weird thing is my hips dont shoot up anywhere near as much when I do. I'll try to get somebody to tape me when I DL......could be interesting to see exactly what I look like when I lift.

Thread Information