tracepyott is offline New Member

help on westside workout

ok, i currently workout at my local ymca, and we dont have any bands, or chains or nethign like that. Im wanting my bench and strength to go up drastically. My current stats are 170lbs, 380bench, 10%bf, and im 17yr old. What do u guys recomend me do to increase it, i am currently doing really low reps in the 5-3 rep range but im wanting to do the speed training. I just dont have access to chains..do u guys recomendn nething.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    You can still do speed bench without chains or bands. The bands are really cheap, like 20bucks for a set of minis. Basically you need to set one day up for your speed day and one day for your max effort day. On your max effort day you can work up to a max single with stuff like close grip, incline, decline, floor press. you should be able to make a board for for board presses. Your speed day will consist of 9 sets of 3 explosive reps with about 50% of your 1RM. Both Max effort and speed work outs will be followed by triceps, back, shoulders. A lot of info can be found at www.elitefts.com For some videos check out www.growordie.com There are a lot of videos there demonstrating some of the max effort movements. This should get you started.

Chad T.
    www.carolinapower.net

p03t1c is offline New Member
    just follow the westside routine. nowhere does it say you HAVE to use bands and chains. they just help. just another tool to use. people were getting strong long before bands and chains.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    hey man great lift at 17 and your BW is awesome for that lift. Where do u workout at which YMCA like location.

I used to lift at the Y but too many BB's there so I switched over to a wellness center, no diff upset for the fact no one looks at me weird benchin on boards or nethin. I don't use chains or bands (im plannin on gettin bands soon though) and I've made gains and have been training westside for 8 months now and i'm stil a RAW lifter.

man im in evansvile indiana..alot of u guys are prolly like where in the hell is that lol, its a pretty small town, but isnt exactly hickville. Yah cubanito i understand how you feel. i feel retarted doin floor presses while all them sissies in there are doing cardio looking at me like im insane lol. THanks for the info fellas

hey sup man. DAMN u are far. It's funny you mentioned FLOOR presses I just got done doing them today for my ME bench.

How much do you floor press compared to your max pause????

I know my pause is somewhere round 315 and I did 270 pause floor press today in the gym was my best. I think I warmed up TOO much I got to 185 for 5 then did 225 for a hard 3 (dont ask me why) then went 245 and gave it hell for 270 failed on 275(i needed my bro to tap the bar up)

One thing I do hate which I forgot to mention I had SOME IDIOT tell me while i was in the power rack "u know son there are benches where you can bench you don't have to use the floor". I just looked at him saw him doing his cable crossovers with 20lbs in each arm, laughed, and kept going.

is it ok to use the reps, the speed training, and the concepts to make my own version. Like still have the max effort days, and speed days, and the reps the recomend but do just flat bench and incline and decline on it instead of chains, floor presses etc. You guys think this will be ok ?

Training westside doesn't mean that you only train that way if you use bands and chains. If you don't wanna bring in boards into the gym or do floor presses or bring in chains and equip like that. Then just do the simple ME lifts; close grip bench, close grip incline, illegal wides for best 5, decline, incline to max, then just rotate these.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question so I can't help ya out that much, sorry.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I didn't use any chains or bands and had wonderful results. Just follow the 9week basic program by dave Tate and you should do fine.

Thread Information