powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member

Speed Bench For Aug 12th!! Used One Board

Well tonight we used the one board on our speed sets. Grimmer didnt but Jimmie Dean and I did. I liked it. I think it actually slows it down a little but thats ok, it makes you push harder. I will list my speed sets you can go to Irish's website and see the rest of this workout and the awesome floor press execise we did. Great for lockout!!

We used doubled up minis. It added 100lbs to the top and not sure of bottom but i think around 25 or so. I did like them better then big greens that we use its about the same at lockout but more on chest. Anyway it went like this:

185 x 3 2x green minis 1.5 secs
    185 x 3 same bands on all sets
    185 x 3
    225 x 3 around 2 secs
    245 x 3 2.4 sec
    275 x 3 2.5 sec
    295 x 3 2.7 secs

Guys go check the sticky at the top of this page on the journals and read the floor press we did. Huge band tension and iam fried from it. Tonights work was fast and strong. Dam i love speed!! Next week we wil use 150lbs of band tension, and less bar weight. We'll see what happens then.

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    Good workout,

Did you pause on the board, or touch and go?

I dont see anthing in the journal, about floor presses?
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 08-12-2002 at 07:42 PM.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Dude, 1.5 seconds???? Your speed bench must look like Bruce Lee in the movies where his arms are moving so fast....pretty cool Do you have any video of your speed BP? That'd be cool if you had it on Irish's site. Also, at what point do you start/stop timing your speed sets? The way WBC said to do was from derack to rack...which takes is virtually impossible to get 3 seconds. I think Bob Y. said his crew checks it from the start of the first rep till the end of the 3rd.

That 1-board is definetly a different feel. This week I am going to experiment with pausing (more like a quick touch and go) and see how that works.

Chad T.
    www.carolinapower.net

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    where did you get the idea to use 1 board? what is the motivation for this?

Well Jager the journal is at www.growordie.com Irishpowers site. It may not be up yet i just did it tonight. But when you geta chance look at it. The reps hit the board and stop but i dont really pause it. But i am not bouncing either. Its up down up down.

Musc2002 I start the timeing as soon as the bar falls or elbow break to the last lockout. Dude i am new to this. So i may be timing it wrong but this is a way i can try to be faster every rep.

Irish, i forget who, i think Musc2002 was the one who mentioned that bob youngs and his crew were using a one board for speed. Its kind of a cross between stopping without a bounce but not actually catching it. I like it. It worked well. When you come down on that board and stop it the weight, it freakin stops!! Hey i am experimenting with speed.

I didnt do a single with anything. Now that i knwo my pec is fine i am gonna stick to the book.

Irish , do you think the one board is a bad idea? Do you catch the weight or touch n go? Ideas bro.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    You are timing yourself like the majority do, you are just an extemely explosive bencher. When is your next meet?

Chad T.
    www.carolinapower.net

Superman75 is offline New Member
    That sounds like a cool movement Jay. I am gonna try that 1 board out next DE day and see how it goes.

By the way has anyone made any 1/2 boards. I made a board out of two peices of pine and the board is a 1.5 board that is it isnt quite a 1 board nor a 2 board but halfway inbetween. Anyone else try this? Or am I just too technical on this? Well it seems to work so far like all the other boards do.

deciever is offline Associate Member
    holy shit your fast

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Dude Jay you have to send some videos of your speed bench to Irish to post. I can speed bench fast but I don't know if I'm that fast. Although I don't use the weights you do, of course. I have never actually timed myself. Later

My board is 1 1/2 inches. Hell i could use 3/4 also.

I will get some speed on video. Let me get more time under it and i will get faster!!

My next meet is on Sept 21 st i believe. The winnerr get 2 all expense paid tickets to Vegas and two tickets to the MR Olympia. So i thought what the hell. Then i am doing the APA Nationals in Late OCT. And as of now i am not doing the WPO in Nov. I am 260lbs tonight and i just do not feel like dropping to 220lbs, I will be 242 for the nationals though. I am done with 220. I say that now so we'll see! I have gained 18 lbs in two weeks and feel good. I just decided to start buling up for more mass and more strength. Then diet down to 242 again and be insane strong!! Thats the plan.

Maybe you guys are pausing on speed day. I am not. But keep in mind, i asked Grimmer why i am doing as fast as i am , he said its relative to strength. We all use the same bands. I bench 600lbs. I am gonna be faster then someone benchiing 500 if we use the same bands. Thats what i think. Next week speed will be lighter and faster! Guys i am really digging this speed thing. Thanks for all the input.

RCK
    RCK is offline Junior Member
    thats sounds good jay,i have not started the pausing on speed day,i'm not even sure why the pause started with the speed ebnch,but i'm curious...i gotta find this one out.just like the one board now while speed benching....we're goona try that one next week to see how it feels.and by the way.......you're already Insane Strong,ya' big mofo.......

Rck- i am not sure if yoru supposed to pause. I mean westsiders catch it and ram it back up. I am not doing that. The board stops momentum pretty good enough for me. I am gonna stick with it for a bit. I think you will like it.

No i am not insane strong....yet! I mean Kennelly and Halbert strong is what i want!

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    One reason why Jay is so fast is we still have to find a way to add another 40-50 lbs of band tension on at the top for him. Right now we are still just finding out what tensions each bands are at the top. Jay i know youi think something is not right because you are doing them fast but everything is right where we want it and will all fall into place in a weeks time. I might just have to bring the chains in mext week and add them to the minis. that would be perfect for youi and easy for me to take off when my turn is up. Its all good my man! Needless to say even with that extra 50 lbs i still think you will be under 2.5sec.

Grimmer each week speed work gets better and better. I look forward to adding some new tension somewhere.

Talk aboiut tension? Wait till tommmorow for boards!! You aint seen tension yet!

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Jay, I just got the Halbert Bench video in yesterday and watched it. Talk about fast, that guy is moving 225 to 250 or so plus 170 lbs of band tension mucho rapido. I timed it and he was right at 2.7 seconds. Smokin speed, especially for that much weight and band tension. It was unreal.

I gotta get faster. I am going to drop down to 185 plus one doubled mini and just stick with that for a while. I can get that in under 3 seconds. I am going to just do the same thing every week, and when I can get under 2.5, I may go up a bit in weight.

Halbert uses bands on absolutely every exercise he does, I think. I thought I used them a lot, but he seems to use them tying his shoes. It was a pretty eye opening vid, and by the way, PowerlifterJay is on the tape. Pretty cool stuff.

B.

What do you mean i am on the tape? Is there a podeum shot of the WPO last year? If its me i got a white inzer shirt and my singlet bottoms on, and a tan hat. Other then that it might be when I was giving him some advice on his bench and showing him a new execise....ya right!!

And i agree too i also use bands on everthing. They just make the lift more worth then without bands. I do believe since i am new to speed work why my bench is fast is because, like i said before, i used bands choked down on everything. Everything i do has major lockout tension.

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, it was a video clip of the WPO. He did look like he was in awe as he walked by you, but editing must have cut out the part where you were giving him tips.

I am going to give some of his ideas a try. God knows I am needing some help. At least it will be something different. His math skills far exceed my own. Anyone that has seen the vid can attest to the complex algabraic equations at the end of the video.

He has much bigger arms than I realized. Most of the video he is wearing a tank top. I had no idea his bis were so thick. Very impressive and informative tape.

I am sending Irish another tape today or tomorrow. It has a speed squat night and a speed bench night on it.

B.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Bench, that's awesome that it came in. It shows his full workouts, right?

Jay, If you get chains in and have bands. Put two chains and choke green per side. I think that that would be the tension your looking for.

As for me, the minis have taken there toll. For the near future I will be using chains and a choked green for all speed sets. Just thought I'd try to throw something out there for you to try.

Later

Dam editors!

i dont know about that 1 board stuff? i mean, you should at least do some full ROM exercises right?

Then again, I guess it could be equivalent to box squatting only to parallel, knowing that with gear and wraps you are gonna be fine at the meet.

someone should ping dave and ask him what he thinks.

pljay: i wish you'd send me some vids... i have compression down to an artform now.

talk soon.

/irish

Well i am gonna get a copy or two this week of the last meet. So that i will send. But i need to tape some speed work and others as well. I got a VHC video recorder. And i dont knwo hwo to put them on VHS. Can i just send you the VHC? I will send a tape of ME stuff too so you can pu tthem in my journal. Heavy boards ETC. Just give me time. I want what i send to be good and i havent recorded lately. But my next bench meet is late Sept so i can get some footage between now and then. Its gonna be interesting to look thorugh my journal and see my westside progress.

Also Irish wouldnt using a one board and stopping the board 1 1/2 above your chest be close to catching it off your chest? I also hit dumbell presses when i feel i need them for pec strength and full ROM. Hey i fthis doesnt work my next trainnig will be the Metal Militia style. I am actually dying to try it too.

yeah you can send me the vhs-c. i think i have an adaptor.

i dont enough about the drop-catch method. i just go as fast as i can with no bouncing.

speed weight is the only thing that makes my pec and shoulder sore nowadays.

after this meet, i am going to probably drop speed weight to 2 out 3 or 1 out of 2 workouts. i have been having some success with reverse grip presses and may want to play with these some more.

talk soon.

/irish

Thread Information