Thread: Grip Work

Cubanito17 is offline Member

Grip Work

Hey guys yesterday although it was my off day in the gym I stil went in b/c my bro had to lift and needed a spot for squatting so I went in and after while he was doing extra work, I got into the power rack b/c I was curious how much I can grip since I know when my meet comes around I wouldn't wanna put weight on the bar to pull it and not be able to grip it and I set the pins so it'd be like locking out in deadlift well I worked up to 465 and then my grip just gave out. NOW I KNOW i'm capable of deadlifting MORE than that. I HARDLY train my squat b/c I don't see myself doing many 3 lifts (i'll be doing my first in DEC). Well do you guys think that I won't be able to go over 465 deads if I can't grip it in the power rack or is their a difference.

If not then what's good for grip work when it comes to heavy weights???

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Check out this thread: http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...ight=Grip+Work

Link to inexpensive Grip tools: http://www.wwfitness.com/gripstrength.html

Ermantroudt
    Last edited by Ermantroudt; 08-15-2002 at 04:19 PM.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    What's up bigun'

There are actually different kinds of gripping strength. Theres holding, pinching and squeezing. I'm leaving out a couple but these are the main ones. The absolute best one for grip strength is farmers' walks. You can do these about once a week, maybe even every two weeks. Also, after every workout try hanging from a chinning bar until you fall off. These are two of the best for being able to grip a barbell. The next best one is to hold a barbell for as long as possible. Load it with 225-315 and hold it until it falls out of your hands. Then repeat. Don't do all these in the same week. Just pick one and do it after your workout. The only exception is hanging from a chinning bar, you can do that 3 times a week if you want.

Good luck

Ermantroudt I had seen that thread earlier when I first came over to AR like I did on EF i went from the first thread and started reading. I shoulda just took those ideas but no offense I thought since it was a girl that it would be diff for me. nothin against women lifters I think it's great, especially if they train with their spouse.

BigOKIE sup man well I train Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri if I do diff excercises those days will that be training my grip TOO much.

I have a capt crush gripper the trainer though. I shoulda gone with #1 when I first bought them. I like the following ideas which I will use.
    1. Pinch 2 25lb plates together
    2. Sand in bucket then open and close fingers
    3. barbell in power rack to failure( after doing these yesterday I think I went to failure I went fishing after and had a 22 inch POMPANO on a 12lb test line and that MEANT alot of reeling after catching that ONE fish my arms were SOO fucking pumped I couldn't move them anymore)
    4. Capt crush gripper to failure.

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    Do heavy grip training 2-3 times a week

and about the captins of crush grippers, its better to do low reps with a harder gripper, than going to failure on a lighter gripper

you might also want to try negatives, and strap holds with you gripper,

when you said, "your grip gave out with 465" was that with a double overhand grip, or a mixed grip?

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Well that's why I said to pick one and do it once a week. I really don't believe that pinch gripping will help with holding strength, which you need to hold a heavy deadlift. I also don't believe the COC grippers work that well. I have a 1 and a 2 and I can close them both. For me they are more of a test of grip strength then a builder of grip strength. The barbell holds in the power rack are great! You really should give farmers walks' a shot. They are some of the toughest work you will ever do! I carry them up the stairs at the gym. Almost makes me puke! I also pull most of my deadlifts with a double over grip. Then when I get to an all out pull, I close my grip. This allows me to work my grip more than usual and I have never dropped a lift with a closed grip. Just my thoughts.

Jager I was holding the 465 with my regular deadlift grip conventional, so one hand facing up and one facing down. I think i'll stick with grip training twice a week or just do it MON, WED, FRI 3 times a week and see how it either goes up or if i overtrain my grip

Bigokie I'll hold off on the COC, one thing though I've heard of them and stil don't know what they are, farmer walks, do you perform these for best time or just til you can't go anymore.

Little girl thanks for the thread it's the same one that ermantroudt gave me.

Thread Information