deciever is offline Associate Member

Wide Stance Gm's and Close stanced

In my wide stance, ii gott 225x3 beltless, and in my close stance ii got 195x1 beltless. Any onee else have differences like these?

also, hoow far do you go down on them? parrallel? 45 degress?

and i apologize for my typing, i was on a laptop and the keyboard sucked..

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    I dont have an answer........but am interested to know too. Irish and PLJ seem to put up obscene numbers with these. If I recall Irish has a video of him doing these off chains from the bottom position and his upper body is prob at a 30 degree angle (?).

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    all have their purpose. i think the higher wide GM's are gonna help your squat finish. that is where i post monstrous numbers.

i need to work more lower close stance to nail the deadlift more.

again, variation is the key. i admit to letting my ego make me want to do more wide, high gm's but next cycle my common sense is going to make me go lower more and narrow.

LoL , i forgot about Irish and PL Jay... i guess my like 30 lb difference isnt much..haha.

Irish- Do you think that doing them suspended is better than just unracking it and doing it?

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    in a word, yes!!!!

why: you can use more weight.... its safer, and i *think* it simulates the squat and deadlift better but that's just my opinion.

i never did like free standing good mornings. i will on occasion do some seated ones on a box, but i always put pins in to stop me at a certain location.

i am not the expert..... i may try free good mornings sometime again. they are just not a staple now for me.

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    Wide is 425, close is like 410 or there abouts
    I usually go 1-2" below belly button hight

thanks for the input guys.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    deceiver,

The reason why your wide stance is better than your close stance is due to better leverage with the wide stance.

chain suspended GM's are more efficient because it lets you do the lift in your natural groove so the carry over to you comp. Squat and deadlift are better.

xxxl83

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Tonight in fact i did narrow good mornings (not suspended though) . Way tougher! Like Irish said wide will help finish yoru squats and narrow the dead. But suspended is better. Even if you do them off a pin instead a chains. I did 545 paralel wide and 500 narrow. I could do more on each but sometimes i rep to much and cant go big single. I think i am around 585 ish wide suspended and 525 narrow. Both low as i can go. The 545 was 40 inches or less high suspended in chains, and Tonight i did 500 un rack, bend , re rack.

does anyone else find that doing that first one (when starting from the top) is always the hardest? when doing them , my first one is always weird, then the next 2 are so much easier...

p03t1c is offline New Member
    here is what generally happens to me...i start close. work up to a certain weight then end up getting mad as hell when the weight doesnt jump up so i plop the stance out and nail some more. prolly shouldn't do that but so what it's my training and i get to do what i like. hah. i am normally going parallel or below. sometimes i will do limited range but i'll let the ego go and setup for the low ones. these are the ones that like to plant you at the bottom.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Well, I started doing the Wide High GM's suspended. I really like these but like Irish said, I think they have a limited usefulness. The ones I really like are suspended from a little under 40". I do these with a very narrow stance and when I'm in the starting position my back is way below parallel. Right now I am using about 50% of my deadlift. Hopefully this will stay and adding say 50 pounds to my gm will add 100 to my deadlift. Only time will tell and I will post results.

Good luck

Thread Information