deciever is offline Associate Member

To diet or not to diet

Im stuck in a dilemma. Im not sure if i want to compete as a light 148 (140lbs), or diet down to 132's again. i think if i start dieting early, i can lose weight and not lose much strength... But im not sure.. 8 lbs seems like a lot to me.

And opinons on what i should do?

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Well being a fat guy, i'd say go in the heavier class! I guess it depends on how well/easy you can diet down. If I am not at weight 2 weeks before a meet, I say screw it.

Chad T.
    www.CarolinaPower.net

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Its up to you really. 8 lbs is nothing. But if you can break a record n the lower class then drop. But if its just a meet with nothing on the line except Pr's and fun i would just lift at 140lbs.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Deciever,

I agree with musc2002 and PLJ, go with the heavier class. At 140 you probably don't have much bodyfat to spare.

xxxl83

for my last meet i dropped around 8 lbs as well..

If i drop to 132's, i could become ranked highly in the nation for the 14-19 year old division. Also, i could get all 4 records in the 132's again.

Also, im not sure of it, but i think i may be clsoe to a national record or something.. not sure though.

xxxl83- i have some to spare.. im at about 10-12%...i figure, i could lose like 5 lbs of fat, and than just cut the week before at the end

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Guys he is 15 years old.

Deciever, I am not a fan of young guys cutting. I think you should spend a lot of your time and energy getting as big and strong as you can.

Cutting weight every 8 to 16 weeks is not exactly conducive to getting bigger and stronger.

However, if there is a record in a certain class that you want to get, and have a legitimate shot at it, then by all means, drop a few lbs and go get that record. However, IMO, unless there is money, or a record on the line, just show up weighing whatever you weigh, and lift wherever you fit at that weight and just make sure you get some PR's in.

B.

im thinking about going down to 132's, braeking my old records, and shooting for maybe 2 national records... and this will be the last meet i'll be cutting for in a while.my next important meet is next june...

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    If there's a record involved that you KNOW you can beat or CLOSE to it then drop down if not dropping IS a pain the ass.

yup records are involved. the 132 class records are, 300/175/330 805... i can get those... if not something is seriously wrong..

and the national deadlift record for 132 is 402, the squat is 357... i think i have a chance at those(thats if the records ar ekept up to date)

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Deciever,

So start dropping the weight and break those damn records.

good luck,

xxxl83

thanks. hopefully if i order my new squat suit.. i'll be at 350 in the squat in a few weeks.

...i dunno why, but records seem so cool to me...

Screwball is offline New Member
    I absolutely agree with Bmonster. These are some of the best years (teen years) for putting on size and strength. The number one goal should be to get as big and strong as fast as you can. Once you have the size and strength , you can think about cutting your weight to hit the lower weight classes. You may suffer in the short run but in the long run you will be way ahead of the game.

IMHO. Your goals should be to weigh 200+ before age 16.

450 - 500 Squat
    300 - Bench Press
    450 - 500 Deadlift

1,200+ Total

That gives you about a year to put 100+ lbs. on each of your lifts and 50+ lbs. of bodyweight on. It's doable man. If you stay under 150 lbs. you would be lucky to make half those gains. Eat, train, eat some more and get big & strong.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I agree with Screw ball and Bmonster about getting bigger and stronger. I mean in powerliftin your goal is strength. Mass moves mass. But in the big sceam of things cutting 8lbs wont hurt ya. I mean hell when i was 15 i didnt powerlift but i did wrestle and would cut 10lbs every dam meet. But i think you should , if you cut fo rthis one, forget about it after this and concentrate on being bigger and stronger. Look at Teen Myth. He is a freak!! He is 19 but when he was a freshman he was benching in the 300's and squatting and pullin in the 400's. NOw since he just got bigger he is 19 and squattin in the 800's and benching in the 500's and pullin dam near 700. And his difference in weight is about 50 or 60 lbs. Again mass moves mass. Drop down, get the records and then get big and no more droppin. OK lil bro? I am just mesin with ya!! Your a dedicated young powerlifter who WILL go very far in this sport. I cant wait to see you at 20 and 25. By then you will have broken so many records you wont even remember the ones you did at 15.

Originally posted by Screwball
    I absolutely agree with Bmonster. These are some of the best years (teen years) for putting on size and strength. The number one goal should be to get as big and strong as fast as you can. Once you have the size and strength , you can think about cutting your weight to hit the lower weight classes. You may suffer in the short run but in the long run you will be way ahead of the game.

IMHO. Your goals should be to weigh 200+ before age 16.

450 - 500 Squat
    300 - Bench Press
    450 - 500 Deadlift

1,200+ Total

That gives you about a year to put 100+ lbs. on each of your lifts and 50+ lbs. of bodyweight on. It's doable man. If you stay under 150 lbs. you would be lucky to make half those gains. Eat, train, eat some more and get big & strong.
    if i weghed 200 lbs and only totalled 1200, i wouldnt be happy at all.

Figure this... i'll be cutting weight for about 6 weeks, slowly, mainly just by eating better and maybe dragging a sled. ... i dont see how 6 weeks could really effect me that much.

And gaining 50 lbs in a year... i wish.. in the past 2 years i've lifted i've gained 45 lbs.. thats it.

One short term goal i have is to total 1000 in the 148's..

And besides.. i had originally planned to gain like 1-2 lbs a month...and in a few years i'd be up in 181...and then 198.. and eventually get big.

i appreciate your advice tho

Originally posted by powerlifterjay
    I agree with Screw ball and Bmonster about getting bigger and stronger. I mean in powerliftin your goal is strength. Mass moves mass. But in the big sceam of things cutting 8lbs wont hurt ya. I mean hell when i was 15 i didnt powerlift but i did wrestle and would cut 10lbs every dam meet. But i think you should , if you cut fo rthis one, forget about it after this and concentrate on being bigger and stronger. Look at Teen Myth. He is a freak!! He is 19 but when he was a freshman he was benching in the 300's and squatting and pullin in the 400's. NOw since he just got bigger he is 19 and squattin in the 800's and benching in the 500's and pullin dam near 700. And his difference in weight is about 50 or 60 lbs. Again mass moves mass. Drop down, get the records and then get big and no more droppin. OK lil bro? I am just mesin with ya!! Your a dedicated young powerlifter who WILL go very far in this sport. I cant wait to see you at 20 and 25. By then you will have broken so many records you wont even remember the ones you did at 15.
    Yeah, 8 lbs doesnt seem like much. .especially if i start now. that gives me over 8 week s to drop it. so it should be cake.

Freak is a freak, its not fair i want to be elite when im 19! i have too many goals goin through my head now.. dont know which ones to really concentrate on...

i want... squat 3x my body weight, pull 3x bw, bench 1.5x bw, and then 2x bw, total 1000, compete in a national competition, squat 400, pull 400, bench 200, become a class 2 lifter, total 7x bw, become state champion...

those are just some. and those are short term goals as well.. haha. i think i set my standards pretty high for myself.

if i cut for this competition, i wont cut until june again.. and thats if i have to. idont know how much i'll weigh by than.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    I didnt realize you were 15 (not that is a bad thing), but going up a weight class would be the way to go. You are growing and should be able to put on weight easy; however, 8 lbs is close, and if you have 2 months to get there, just take it off slowly, that way you arent sacraficing muscle. Good luck in whichever route you choose.

Chad T.
    www.CarolinaPower.net

Deciever, a 1,200 lb. total at 200 lbs and 16 years old is outstanding. The only other person on this board who hit those numbers was probably Teen Myth and we know what a Freak he is. You have to give your body time to mature and strengthen. You may be comparing yourself to many of the elite lifters that are much older and have trained for many years. That's a no-win situation. Set your goals high but make sure that they are reasonable and attainable. There is no doubt that you are an outstanding lifter and you will be scary in the future but take your time getting there and enjoy the trip.

Originally posted by Screwball
    Deciever, a 1,200 lb. total at 200 lbs and 16 years old is outstanding. The only other person on this board who hit those numbers was probably Teen Myth and we know what a Freak he is. You have to give your body time to mature and strengthen. You may be comparing yourself to many of the elite lifters that are much older and have trained for many years. That's a no-win situation. Set your goals high but make sure that they are reasonable and attainable. There is no doubt that you are an outstanding lifter and you will be scary in the future but take your time getting there and enjoy the trip.
    i didnt mean that a 1200 total wou ldnt be good at 200 lbs and 16 years old, i was just referring to how many times bw it is. If i diet down, i should be hitting over 7 x my body weight..

I realy am just impatient. i went to get to the top and i want to get there quick...

lol and thanks for telling me i'll be scary in the future.

Superman75 is offline New Member
    Just remember the bigger you get the less and less the x bodyweight means to a lifter. Mabey I just think that because I am 256 lb now and have always been tall and heavy and not score well by this system but I rather

weigh 300 pounds and bench 600 pounds
    than weigh 200 pounds and bench 400 pounds

Both are the same in the x bodyweight scale.

I am sure just aout everyone on this board would rather be the 300lb bench600 one.

hell I'd rather weigh 250 and bench 500 than be 200 and bench 400

Just remember the bigger you get the less and less the x bodyweight means to a lifter. Maybe I just think that because I am 256 lb. now and have always been tall and heavy and not scored well by this system but I'd rather weigh 300 pounds and bench 600 pounds than weigh 200 pounds and bench 400 pounds. Both are the same in the x bodyweight scale. I am sure just about everyone on this board would rather be the 300 lb. bench 600 one. Hell, I'd rather weigh 250 and bench 500 than be 200 and bench 400.
    No truer more words have ever been spoken. Amen, brother!

Thread Information