Jimmy_Bravo is offline Associate Member

Cool Low end lifters at PL meets

I always here about the guys who finish near the top of a powerlifting meet, and I know what types of weights thier lifting, but I'de like to know what the lower end guys are lifting. I know I'm nowhere near even the lower end guys, but I'de like to see how far off untill maybe I could at least compete. I'm thinking about provincial meets, not world, or national stuff. I'm about 205lbs. So could someone tell me what you guys see for lower lifts in this weight class?

thanks,

Jim

deciever is offline Associate Member
    in a small church meet, the break down was like this.. 5th place was 285/235/336 in 220 class

4th place in 242 was 225/190/300

no reason to be ashamed of any of your lifts.
    not a single person was laughed at.. at all.

someone in the 132's totaled 430, and no one even snickered or anything

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Jim, don't wait to compete. The meets are fun, no matter what you lift. Everyone there will behind you, no matter if you total 200 or 2000. Powerlifting meets are a great environment. Good luck!!

Chad T.
    www.CarolinaPower.net

Hey, those were excellent responses! It really makes me feel alot more confident about starting to compete. I've been lifting for about a year now. Started out weighing 150lbs. now about 205lbs. ( 6' tall )
    My current lifts
    Bench- 260
    Squat- 305
    Deadlift- 325

I have'nt even been a spectator at a PL meet. I'm definetely going to check one out though.

Thanks guys,

Jim

I just had no idea what the lower lifts were. All I hear is the guys who can bench 500 squat 650 dead 600! By the way, congrats to anyone lifting that kind of weight, it must have took alot of hard training to get there.

dude, those are pretty damn good lifts for lifting only a year. Definately get your ass in a PLing meet...

i did my first meet and totalled like 500... nothing to be ashamed off.

and plus when you get equipment, you numbers will go up as well.

Thanks deciever. I have'nt touched any AS either. Just creatine. About the equipment, I've heard that a bench shirt can add to your max bench. Is this true? Also, what equipment would add to you squat or deadlift?

a bench shirt can add to your max bench, and a squat suit can add to your max squat and DL.. theres a bunch of stuff on different message boards about them.

Also knee wraps can help with your squat, and wrist wraps can help protect your wrists during bench and squat.

I'm going to see when the next meet is, and maybe sign up for it.

good! i garuntee you'll get hooked. Make some new friends, and get some tips and advice from the more experianced people.. you're off to a great pwoerlifting career!

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    you never know who will show up at your meet.

at can-am nationals, i got beaten by a 55 yr old man totalling 2050!

don't worry about it.... just go and have fun. i have personally never laughed at someone for lifting small, and i have never seen it at a meet either. sometimes the people who get the most respect are the weaker lifters who grind through their last deadlift or squat and show much grit.

go compete! you won't look back.

Superman75 is offline New Member
    You will progress just showing up and lifting...it takes guts just to enter and lift..dont mind the guys who dont compete just lift for yourself and your own satisfaction

BigArnie is offline Junior Member
    Jimmy, you were given some excellent advice there. The only thing that I want to add is that it is important that you get to know the rules before doing your first meet. It's such a shame to see novices showing up for their first meet and bombing out because they don't wait for the referee's commands, even though they get can do the weights. Study the rules and then rehearse your lifts over and over in your head.

DEADLIFT FREAK is offline Junior Member
    At the meets I have gone too so far no matter how much someone was lifting, people who were competing and never met him/her before were cheering them on and talking to them about lifting and whatnot. It's a great atmosphere to be in if you have any interest in powerlifting.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    /> www.apa-wpa.com Go to contest results and look fo ryourself what the guys are doing there. You can also check meets that might be comning to your area.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    - GAL -->

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    It doesn't matter what youi total. Lik everyone here said it is all about having funand competing against yoiur own personal best. YOiu got some decent numbers and will probably ,learn a lot more at a meet. Some of the freindliest people i have met have been at meets. Evceryoe is their to help and cheer for whoever is lifting regardless of weights

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Definately enter a meet. When I first started, I wanted to be in the last flight so bad, cause I thought those guys (big lifters) got all the glory and accolades. Well, I now am one of the last 3 or 4 openers every meet I enter, and I found out that there are no accolades here, at least no new ones.

You know who gets the biggest cheers every meet? Some kid, or some older person who is entering their first meet, and puts up a bodyweight equalling bench for the first time. Or who pulls 1.5 bodyweight for the first time. People go nuts.

Now I know everyone says to lift for yourself, and to only lift against yourself, but myself personally, I lift for the Millions. . . and Millions of fans out there shouting my name. And they will be doing that far more for someone with the guts to enter their first meet than anyone else. It takes stones to lay it on the line and enter a meet.

Everyone is a gym superstar, as long as they stay in their own gym. It takes a real man (or woman) to do it for real, with the whole world (it seems like) watching.

B.

You guys have given me some excellent advice. I hope everyone at a PL meet has the same attitude as you bunch of guys. If so, I have nothing to worry about. Thanks agian guys.

JIm,

NOT EVERYONE will have the same att. I remember my first meet that's when I met up with the FL CREW (they all post on here) and they were all cool but there was some guys there that wouldn't talk to anyone for one reason or another. Hell this one guy unloaded the bar on warm ups on deads then put it all back on slowly and we(GRIMMER and myself) were stil using the fucking thing. REMEMBER THAT ONE GRIMM. I found out later my dad asked me who that guy was and I was like some jerk and he said "yea must have been b/c I tried talkin to him and he blew me off" after that I felt like BEATING his fuckin gay ponytail ass.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Just go.....Everyone has to start somewhere.

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    Cubanito , dude that guy was a rare example and i think he was a few cans short of a six pack if you know what i mean, he was a little out of it. I ended up beating him anyway by 5 lbs.

I KNOW I saw your face when you took 1st place OVER HIM. DUDE i was sooo glad you BEAT HIS ASS if I see him at another meet(I never forget a fucked up face, or face I wanna fuck up) that's what i'ma do b/c insulting my family like that IS WORSE than messin wit me.

Thread Information