Thread: 9/2 Speed Squat

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member

9/2 Speed Squat

This was first speed squat in 28 months. No bands, just straight weight today. Parallel box.
    bar, 135, 225 x5
    275x2
    315 3x2
    365 6x2
    405 1x2

Pull Throughs
    100x 10,14,15

Underhand Lat pulldowns (light)
    60 4x10

Standing abs
    70 3x10 (front and both sides)

Hammer Curls
    20x8, 35x8, 30 2x8

I used a very loose suit today (pulls up like a pair of shorts, and a belt. Speed was fairly good. I took about 60 seconds rest between sets. Been a long time since I have done these. Legs felt good, but abs need work.

Heres a link to 2 videos
    365 box squat x2
    405 box squat x2

/chad
    carolinapower.net
    Last edited by musc2002pa; 09-07-2002 at 10:25 PM.

deciever is offline Associate Member
    looks good.. videos kick ass.
    how much is your max squat?

About 2 weeks ago I took a box max off that same height and got 475. That was the first squat I had took in over 2 years. The double with 405 today was pretty easy, and that was my 10th set. I really have no clue what I could do right now. That box is parralel. When I was squatting a few years ago, I did 650 off a 3" below parallel box (I trained on low boxes because I competed USAPL). I guess with a comp suit, knee wraps and all I would be around mid 500s, but my legs feel good for more, I just need to get my low back/abs (ie Core) up. I am going to try to squat in a meet later this year. At this point I am working on getting in shape and dropping some weight (as you can see I am a fat ass). I am about 290 right now, I plan to compete in the 260 range.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    musc2002,

I like the video idea, you might want to try and lower the weight a little and try to catch up on the speed. JMO

xxxl83

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    you are built to squat... dont worry about your fat ass

videos looked good. speed wasn't too bad, especially for a last set!

are you coming over to the dark side to compete in the APF with us? I hope so, you will NBVER look back.

/irish

BigArnie is offline Junior Member
    Lookin good, bro! If you take into account that this is your first DE Squat in more than 2 years I wouldn't be too worried about the speed as it will probably increase dramatically over the next few weeks.

Today was really a test day, just to see what kind of speed I would have. 315 was too light at the top (the bar popped off my shoulders). 365 was good, 405 was too much for 8-10 sets. I was just happy to make it through 10 sets.

With the 405, my abs were just weak, hell my legs feel good for 600, but without a core that wont happen...yet.

/irish
    I just need to be a leaner fat ass I know I can ge down to the 275s without giving up any muscle, i have the fat to spare. I would love to do an APF meet. I will compete in virtually an organization. The only one I dont care as much for is the USAPL (because they dont allow velcro bench shirts...which is STUPID). Most local meets are APA around here, but I should be able to travel more in the future. My goal is total elite in the 275's. I have a ways to go, but I know I can get there.

I look for my speed to increase pretty quickly. I wish I had a Glute-Ham raise though. I will make due without it.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    That's pretty good weight for DE squats. Since I only use bar weight b/c my bands havn't came in yet and I never bothered to order them before I started westside last year, How much of a difference do you feel when doin bands + weight and then just bar weight??? I mean this as in when your going down to parallel do you feel it pulls more with bands and what would be the tension with a set of minis on both sides???

Well, its been a long time since used bands for DE squat, but I remember it like it was yesterday! I feel they make a huge difference. The bands try to force you down from the minute you de-rack the bar. When you come off the box, the bands are pushing down on you, so if you aren't explosive, you are going to get stuck. After you use the bands for a bit, try doing a box squat with straight weight. You'll be surprised at just how explosive you have become.

I have never used mini bands for squat. I have always used the green, and purples, and occasionally the big blues.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

hey thanks bro that helped alot. so basically i gotta get on the ol horn and call jump stretch to order more bands. SHIT I love PL and all but sometime if you wanna be good at it or I should say the BEST it can get a lil expensive. BETTER PLAY THE LOTTO its up too 66million tomm night. If I win it all my bro's on here are recieving nice equipment. Courtesy of santa(LOL)

Shit man hit that lotto!! I will email you the list of equipment I need

/chad
    carolinapower.net

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Good job bro! Looks good and speed was good. Mass moves mass! YOU cross over to the APF (dark side) you will lift huge at your size!

I hope to do an APF meet sometime. I wouldnt mind trying one of those canvas squat suits out. So what makes the APF the dark side? LOL. Problem is my mass is fat mass. I wouldnt mind weighing 290, but maybe at 15% body fat. I think mine is about 26% I know what you mean by feeling sluggish, thats why I try to a little bit of cardio now and then.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    rampant gear usage (both kinds of gear) and the fact that all the lifters are having fun. that and the fact that we are big, bad americans make us the dark side.

join us.

Ah, I can use the one kind of the gear, but the other is probabaly out the question. I dont have anything against it, or anyone who uses it (i for fact believe it can be used safely). But I am a clinician, and soon after my national boards i'll have prescriptive privledges, so I would have to weigh the decision very wisely, because it would put my whole career at risk (more so than someone not in the medical field) if I were to get caught. I could use some clen to slim my fatass up though Either way, I want to do an APF meet.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

HEY MAN if i HIT IT you'll know THUR and get ur list ready b/c santa's comin to town. BUT seriously APF from what I hear is the SHIT and it's ALL THA BADASSES that compete in it. I've only competed in APA DEC 1 i'll be doin an APF meet. so lets see how bad it actually is.

Thread Information