deciever is offline Associate Member

Chain suspended Good Mornings.

I've been wanting to try these for a while.. but i dont have any chains...so i was wondering if i could use rope to suspend it?

Do you think it would hold? Its not the thickest rope.. maybe an inch or so in circumfrence , but i could use to pieces of it on each side for extra support or something..

just want some opinions on this..

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    A thick strong rope might work. Just set it up and test it. I would put the saftey pins as high as I could, so if the rope snapped, you'd have something to catch the bar.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

thats what i was planning on doing...just want some opinions... im sure it cant be that bad of an idea.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Rope is a bad idea. If your bar has any knurling at all on it, it will eat thru the rope. And more than likely it will happen when you least expect it. It won't happen when the bar is on the ropes resting, it will happen when you set it down.

If you can't afford chains, do pin suspended good mornings. These are good and a decent alternative. But I would not consider them a replacement. The best way is to just save up and get some chains, eventually. You don't have to do them right now. Just wait.

Hope this helps

i hate pin suspended GMs too had to get into good position....

i wish i wasnt so broke.

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    I'd use the rope........one inch rope has a high breaking strain. Just keep an eye on any wear and tear. In order to stop the knurling ripping into the rope you could put a thin sheet of plastic between the rope and the bar......reduces friction alot.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    You could also wrap the part of the rope that comes in contact with the knurling with some duct tape. And like Imnodutch said, just keep an eye on the wear.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Deciever,

You've gotten some good advice here I'd say roll with it and let us know how it went.

xxxl83

i tried it out in my basement and it went fine(than again i only had 145 on the bar.

I tried doing it from a suspended height of about 34.5 inches.. they felt pretty good. Just afraid to drop the weights from the top.. my parents would be pissed if they heard a bunch of weights crashing around downstairs.

BigArnie is offline Junior Member
    Deciever, at least you've got a power rack, man. It's ironic that I've got a monolift yet no power rack! At least I'm in the final preparatory stages (read: scraping bucks together) to build myself a decent one.

BTW I've hung normal nylon ropes from the top of the monolift to do suspended GM and had no problems.

nope, dont have a power rack...yet..

i just hung em down off of i hooks in the cieling.

at the gym i go to i have power racks...

how do you like the monolift? Is it good even though you compete in the USAPL?

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    I think duct tape is a great idea.....wish I'd thought of that one

Originally posted by musc2002pa
    You could also wrap the part of the rope that comes in contact with the knurling with some duct tape. And like Imnodutch said, just keep an eye on the wear.

/chad
    carolinapower.net

Deciever, the monolift is actually extremely handy for ANY powerlifter, regardless of federation. We're normally 3 to 4 guys that squat together and I'm much taller than the others so adjusting the rack height between sets is no trouble at all. Also, when doing any kind of band work, I don't want to walk around with the bar on my back and again the monolift works like a charm. When I do regular squats, I still unrack from the monolift but do not open the support arms and then do a normal walkout.

Please make sure that your ceiling can take the weight! I once heard of a guy who benched in his basement off ropes fixed to the roof. One day he dropped the bar from arms length onto his throat and managed to kill himself!

Originally posted by BigArnie
    Please make sure that your ceiling can take the weight! I once heard of a guy who benched in his basement off ropes fixed to the roof. One day he dropped the bar from arms length onto his throat and managed to kill himself!
    i wont be doing them at my hosue i do them.. i'll be doing them in a power rack at the gym, so no need to worry.

Originally posted by BigArnie
    sounds good.. where'd you get yours from??

Unracking with bands is pain in the ass....

thanks.

jimmydean is offline New Member
    We got our chains at Walmart. About 25 bucks for a 20 foot chain that holds 1300+ pounds. Hacksaw it in half, just count the links to make it even. Get two caribeaners to connect them when they're hanging in the rack.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    about the duct tape JUST REMEMBER we're all men DUCT TAPE WILL FIX ANYTHING. I think i'ma try the rope idea since I don't have chains tomm just gotta get the rope from home depot or something.

Deciever i'm with you on the $$flow situation. COLLEGE SUCKS it DRAINS your pocketbook and a car payment ain't helpin much either.

im only a sophomore... which means i can only work 15 hours at a mininum wage paying job, and then they have to take taxes out, and then union dues.. so during school im left with like a 30$ paycheck.

I may check out the walmart idea... sounds like a good deal.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    hey ur with my brother on that one he works at publix with me but if you look at my case I work 16 hours a week $8/hour I'm left with about 110 after all deductions and shit then for that week I need to set aside $25 for gas/$30for insurance/$50 for payment and since I bring my lunch from home i don't waste money on food so i'm left with $5 now this is avg a week or I should say least sometime i'll get 20 hours so I have a lil more cash but only like $25 more so about $30 for the week and spendin money which means some weekends I don't even go out I just stay home and catch up on here since I can't durin the week most of the time. I WORK AT PUUUUBLIX. (I pronounce it pubelex)

my money goes straight into the bank.. but looks like i'll spend some at wal mart.

hopefully i wont have to buy a new benchshirt and squat suit.. im hoping ray benemerito can give me his old stuff i hope.

Screwball is offline New Member
    That's right! When possible, I always urge lifters to buy their goods from Wal-Mart.

im probably going their today after work...
    hopefully they'll have it.

i went to home depot todya and they had 20ft of 5/16 inch chain with a 4200lb load max for about 30$. i may consider buying that in the next few days.

Thread Information