musc2002pa is offline Associate Member

9/8 ME Bench (videos)

I Did 3-boards today. I got a training blast shirt to help with my rotator. Its tight on my shoulder, but I can touch the bar to my chest.

3-boards
    bar, 95, 135, 185x5
    225x1
    275x1
    315x1
    365x1
    375x1
    385xMiss
    385x1
    415x1
    430xmiss(twice)

5-board press w/doubled minis
    225x5
    275x4
    295x3
    305x3,2

Chest supported Rows
    25x10
    45x10
    80x10
    100 2x10

I tried a little snugger training shirt. This one was tighter on my shoulder and kept it from moving as much, but I could still touch the bar to my chest. It didnt offer much support (in the bottom of the lift). I got the 385 easy, and went to 415 and got it. Missed 430 twice. This shirt is nothing like a comp shirt. A comp shirt would help me take the weight on the way down, this one didnt. So I feel the lift is equivical to doing it raw (if I didnt have a torn right rotator)

I feel like the 415 is what I would be getting if my right rotator wasnt torn. I am going to go back to a non-opened back shirt. I think I need something that locks in around the shoulder tight. I have 3 shirts on the way, so hopefully I will see how they do.

chad
    carolinapower.net
    Last edited by musc2002pa; 09-08-2002 at 04:55 PM.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Hey bro how in the hell does the board not fall onto your face when you do those? You must be doing a balancing act as well as lifting. Maybe you should tell Louie and the boys about this!! It may build up new stabilizers!! JK! BUt seriously how did they stay?

I just yell at the boards and they stay put.. but seriously, since its just me and my brother training in the gym on Sunday, I came up with a way to keep the board in place. Take a piece of velcro and sew it to an old tshirt. then take the other side of the velcro and staple gun it to the bottom of all your boards. Then stick them together! I cut the velcro off some old bench shirts. Even with my big belly and arch, they stay in place. Seems to work good.

chad
    carolinapower.net

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Dam bro thats a good idea!

BigArnie is offline Junior Member
    You should tell Louie about it. Who knows, maybe they name it after you! They can call it something like the 2002pa velcro press!

hmmm....velcro presses...not a bad idea!

chad
    carolinapower.net

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Okay..first of all I will let you know I am a bodybuilder not a powerlifter. So here is my question. What do the boards do? To me that just ruins the whole thing. In bodybuilding range of motion and proper form is so important. I may be mistaken but when you are entering comps don't you have to go all the way down touch your chest, pause and then explode and complete the lift. Why wouldn't you do that throughout your training? I am not trying to be rude or ignorant just simply uneducated in powerlifting. I am impressed by the poundages none the less just wondering why. That is all thanks for you info.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Shredz,

Board presses are used to train your minimax (sticking point) in this case your lockout. Board presses are more effective than pin presses for a few reasons.
    When doing pin presses all the weight of the bar is transfered to the pins thus leaving no stretch reflex and diminishing reversal speed. With board presses the weight is still on your working muscles, the board is just limiting the range of motion.

xxxl83

thanks for the reply..i am here to learn. So tell me do you do block presses one day and then do full presses another. Is there a set out routine that you follow to make sure you have all aspects on a strong bench together?

Shredz,

Most guys here at the AR powerlifting forum use "Westside Barbell Club"
    methods. In general (this is the very bare basics) we train one ME (maximum effort) day and one DE (dynamic effort or speed) day for each the bench press and squat/deadlift (squat and deadlift are trained together as the same muscles are used in both lifts).

To read up on this subject in greater detail read the articles by Louie Simmons and Dave Tate and check out the "ask dave" section for the exercise index at www.elitefts.com

You can also go back and read some of the previous threads in the powerlifting forum here at AR. There are some very knowledgable people on this board willing to help out.

xxxl83

Shredz,

Sorry, To answer your question in general Yes the ME day you would do exercises like board presses, floor presses, Jm presses etc...with maximal weight.
    Then on your DE day you would work on bar speed using sub-maximal weights and possibly using chains or bands to accomodate resistance.
    These two combined with form and technique sum up in general all the aspects of a strong bench.

I hope this clearly answered your questions,

xxxl83
    Last edited by xxxl83; 09-10-2002 at 12:20 PM.

Sure does bro..I can say I learned something new today..

thanks

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    shredz hey man it's good that you wanna learn about PL but it'd be better if you could see someone perform the movements in person. I'm not positive but I think xxxl left out that another reason for the boards besides sticking point is that ALOT of PL when they train serious weight like this or can do serious weight off the boards they incorporate in a bench shirt. This helps you the first 2-3 inches off the chest and helps with the explosion so if you have GREAT speed (like PLJAY) and can lockout a weight from 4 board for some people with longer arms 3 board then most likely although without a shirt you can't do that weight RAW in a shirt you can.

If you want some example workouts or more videos there are training logs and vids on www.growordie.com a member on here made that website alot of people from here have contributed to it.

Thread Information