Superman75 is offline New Member

Demin Shrts..Open back and regular

I just got a new double denim radical cut velcro open back shirt today.

I had a similar model before but it didnt have an open back.

I paid Inzer an extra $25 for the open back feature but it actually doesnt look too much different than than the previous one w/o the open back.

I am going to test the shirt with boards next week.

Do you think the extra $25 for the open back is worth it?

jeremys is offline Associate Member
    what does an open back do?

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Superman, they should look ALOT different. The one without an open back should have the upperback/neck portion attached....the open back should be completely split open..including the neck.

Actually, John said they did away with that particular custom fee...(meaning they shouldnt charge you 25 bucks to split it open). Apparently they are still charging it, so I wouldnt pay it...I would just cut it myself. Since you already have it split open, I wouldn't worry about it.

jeremys, the open back allows you to 'adjust' the tightness of the shirt. WIth the neck split, you can pull down the front of the shirt and actually make the shirt tighter (ie takes more weight to touch your chest). It also allows you to take a lower groove.

I am glad he mentioned this...this is something you can do with your poly shirt. After you get it on....have someone pull down on the front of the shirt...then put your weight belt on. This will make the shirt somewhat tighter, and should take more weight for the bar to touch your chest. ITs worth a try.

chad
    carolinapower.net

jeremys is offline Associate Member
    i'm desperate. i'll try anything. thanks for the idea

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    hey SUPER remember to reply on here how the workout went in the shirt I wanna see if it's just about the same for everyone what they can do off certain boards raw and then do it in a shirt. I'm trying to get this down b/c when my shirt comes in i'm not gonna have much time to practice in it and tha LAST THING I or ANYONE wants to do is BOMB all 3 attempts at a meet. If I see myself bombing my first two then for my third i'm just going RAW.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I have always just ordered and then cut it. But you are allowd more room for adjustment with an open back. You will ike it. If you dont get a pop you need it tighter.

Thanks for all the replies.

yeah the shirt isnt an open back although it says open bak on the receipt and Inzer charged me an extra $25 WTF!! I will call them about it although I am not sending it back because I dont want to be shirtless anymore and the shirt seems to fit well. Chest 50 arms 17.

I am gonna leave it closed back for now and try it Monday.

Recent ME bench days:

*Illegal wides 285 x 8 reps (I suck at reps for some reason)
    * 4 board comp grip 445
    * Rawcontest 400
    * 315 x 6 comp grip
    * 5 board cop grip 455

So I will use the shirt on Monday and se what happens. I havent decided to try it with the boards or full range yet.
    I will keep you posted.

It still has a closed back with that big patch with an X on the upper neck of the shirt in the back.

I might make it open back but I dont wanna risk messing it up with the scissors because I have a few conetsts coming up and I need the shirt.

Mastermind is offline Female Member
    PLJ, what do you mean by, "If you don't get a pop?" I'm new to shirts...

If its a new shirt, by all means, use the boards first. Even denim requires a break in. If not, they are more prone to blow in the future (words from JI himself). I would start with 5 boards take a couple of weights and progressively work yourself down...4 boards...3 boards...2 boards. 1.......taking a little more weight each time

chad
    carolinapower.net

Originally posted by musc2002pa
    If its a new shirt, by all means, use the boards first. Even denim requires a break in. If not, they are more prone to blow in the future (words from JI himself). I would start with 5 boards take a couple of weights and progressively work yourself down...4 boards...3 boards...2 boards. 1.......taking a little more weight each time

chad
    carolinapower.net
    I think I will use the boards to break it in. Should I use all the boards in the same workout or a few boards each workout? Thanks

Yes, use all the boards in the same workout. I would start like this. Go ahead and do a regular warm up without the shirt. Then put on the shirt and start back with the bar and 5 boards. Depending on how tight the shirt is, you may touch them you may not.

Then go up to about 95-135 and move to 4 boards. Then switch to 3 boards...with 225, 275...etc.

It all depends on what you bench. I would switch to a lower board when the bar actually touches the board.

One Key is DO NOT force the bar down. Stay tight, stay in your groove, and let the bar come down. Dont try to row it down.

So if 135 wont touch 4 boards, move to 185...if if touches...go to 3 boards. The key is to let the weight come down, dont force against the shirt. John said this has something to do with letting the fibers 'seat' in right.

You dont have to do this with boards, but I prefer to. You could just let the weight come down as far as it will on its own, then press it back up. I'd say after about 20 reps, the shirt should be good to go.

This is from experience...I had a new denim shirt, warmed up, went up to an opener weight and had to row the weight down, as I did, the arm pit seam blew. I did the same thing with another exact same size shirt (except I broke it in) andit worked like a charm.

chad
    carolinapower.net

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    WHOA this is good info I'ma have to come back to this when my shirt comes in from my friends(if they didn't forget about me).

Thread Information