powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member

ME bench!! Finally a little PR!!

Well i havent been getting new PR's mainly cause i have been doing new things and in new ways. BUt last night we did brd presses with the big blue bands choked down. This added 30 on the brd and 100lbs at lockout. We actually measured the tension for all our band combos we use, but thats another story!

warmups with big blue bands choked
    135x5 Blues 3 sets
    225x5 2 sets
    315x3 4 board. 415 at lockout
    405x3 4 board 505 lockout
    455x1 4 board 555 lockout
    500x1 4 board 600 lockout
    515x1 4 board 615 at lockout (easy too)
    535x1 5 board 635 lockout
    555x1 5 board 655 lockout

I believe my PR was 525 with 5rd. So i blew it away!
    I did a 585lb bench in Comp after doing the 525 before. If i can heal my shoulder i think i can PR in a meet big time. Its been a long time since i did these...felt good.

I my name is Jay and i am addicted to bands!!! "BA" Bands Anonymous!

deciever is offline Associate Member
    you scare me with your big weights
    nice work

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    PLJ, Congrats on the PR.

I'm telling you that you keep it up and your bench video will be in the making soon.

Can you explain exactly how you set up the bands? just curious.

xxxl83

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Wow, very impressive Jay.

My name is Brian, and I too am addicted to bands. I admit I have no control over the bands, the bands have control over me.

B.

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    Nice PR

My name is IND and I wish I had some bands

deciever is offline Associate Member
    PLJAY whats the reason for not just using doubled minis??
    Also, were this shirted?

My name is jay, and im addicted to sex....oops wrong help club

i like bands too.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Good job powerlifterjay, I knew your strength would start taking off.

These were no shirt. I dont use a shirt much in traiing. Thats gonna change though. BUt i normally only shirt up 4 weeks out from a meet. I didnt go belowa 4 brd cause my shoulder hurts. BUt lockout felt strong.

XXX183 our they we do our bands is like this, lets see if you can follow me!! We have a power rack, its 3 inches off the ground. There is a little 1/4 clearance under the rack. We got steel strips that slide under the rack. On the ends there is a handle drilled on the end, so you can loop the bands through. SO you can slide the steel strips were ever you like so they can fit to wear you lift at. Its pretty cool. A Jimmie Dean invention.

PLJ,

Thanks I have another question for you. On the power rack I use I've got it raised so I can set the bands up under the rack simular to the way you have them. The problem is when I choke them there is no tension at the bottom. So I've got to double them up (attach one end to the bar then go under the rack and back up to the bar again) the problem with this is the mini's doubled there isn't enough band tension so I was using the light bands doubled but I had to reduce the bar weight by 30-50 lbs. Now I'm done with my band cycle and it worked out o.k. I'd just like another option to toy around with to find a happy medium to use on my next band cycle.

Any help would be appreciated,

xxxl83
    Last edited by xxxl83; 09-14-2002 at 11:50 AM.

Well theres a few ways to increase band tension. What we do is , and i forgot to mention, the steel is bent up slightly so for more tension we just make the knot then wrap it again under the steel bar. That is what we do. But were wanting more tension so we will just bring a dumbell into the picture and set 2 to 3 inches a way and wrap it under that , then loop it around the bar.

We only use the big bands. We only got minis when Grimmer comes to train with us. BUt its fine though. But what we did (last wed) was build up bases and used a scale to measure band tension from every possible way we use them (except adding dumbells). This isnt neccesary but i like to know what i am lifting. We assumed for so long and to our dissapointment we were not lifting as much as we thought!! BUt with that said i will get some minis and the new big black ones and that will be it. I get enough tension with what i have. And for bench and squat i now know exactly what i got on the board, chest , Box, and lockouts for all my movements.

Big_Dippin is offline Associate Member
    Great job, bro. Those are some impressive weights.

Mastermind is offline Female Member
    Very impressive, Bro. Was wondering how you measure the tension of your band combos.

Superman75 is offline New Member
    Congrats on the PR, I love the bands too!

PLJ,

Thanks for the info.

xxxl83

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    Hey man way to go on the PR. Can't wait to see what you do in DEC in person.

Thanks guys.

I measure the tension by first having my partner measure from the floor to the top of the bar with a tape measure. Then we build the base up to that height plus the scale. That will be the lockut height exact. Then of course put on the bands and bar on the scale and subtract 45 for the bar and the rest is band tension. We do the same for bottom position, and squats too.

We build the base by using the bench then we had areobic blocks up to the desired height. Hope that helped some.

k1401 is offline Junior Member
    Hey Jay, Great job on the PR! Hope the shoulder gets better.
    When is your next meet?

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    hey k1401 I believe JAYs next meet is OCT 26 in winterpark FL I know that scott from APA send me info on it, BUT that same day I'll be doing a meet down in lantana,FL with bob. And then after that the FL crew will ONCE AGAIN re-unite and KICK ASS in DAytona nationals. I can't wait for that one. I've made up my mind 220lb weight class here I COME.

Mastermind is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by powerlifterjay
    Thanks guys.

I measure the tension by first having my partner measure from the floor to the top of the bar with a tape measure. Then we build the base up to that height plus the scale. That will be the lockut height exact. Then of course put on the bands and bar on the scale and subtract 45 for the bar and the rest is band tension. We do the same for bottom position, and squats too.

We build the base by using the bench then we had areobic blocks up to the desired height. Hope that helped some.
    Thanks man. So you use bands for ME work too?

Dude i use bands for everything. And i aint kiddin either! I used to alternate no bands then bands every othr week. But now if i feel sore i use light band tension. To me it just makes the lift worth doing. I mean if i bench 405 and have 405 on my chest, why not have 480 at lockout? If i can push 405 off my chest i can surely lock it out. I think the bands are the greatest tool used for speed and strength.

Thread Information