benchmonster is offline Junior Member

Okie Bench meet.

/>
    I then jumped to 525, and got it misgrooved a tad high (over face) but still managed to lock out the left, but right arm lagged, by litterally one inch. Struggled for a long ass time, but just could not get it locked that last inch, ran out of air. Several lifts just like that one were given white, but despite that, it was not a good lift and although I have seen world records whited for that sort of an effort, I would not have felt right had they given it to me.

I should have jumped to 550 for my third, but the second attempt took a lot out of me with the long struggle, so I tried it again on my third attempt. I pulled the shirt down too far, got it too tight, and could not get 525 to touch, so I had to bail.

So it was nice to get the quarter ton monkey off my back, which has eluded me on two prior attempts, but at the same time it was dissapointing to miss a weight that I had hit in the gym about a month ago. Such is life I suppose. Just did not have a great day, and it would have taken a perfect day, honestly, to have got all 3 lifts in.

Screwball went 2 for 3, and ended up getting a very fast and strong 450.

bigokie was having severe shirt problems and could not get a lift in, he will do better next time.

Hannibal did his first bench meet, and made a 425, which I thought was great for his first meet. (I did 355 at my first meet 14 months ago)

There were only 2 lifters all day who outbenched me on bar weight, but one was 280+ and the other was way over 300 lbs bodyweight, so I was able to secure the best lift by formula, which is always nice.

I will do better next time. Next meet is November 23. 10 weeks to get stronger.

B.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member

Congrats!

chad
    carolinapower.net

deciever is offline Associate Member
    great work guys...you guys take any pics??

Bench- congrats on the 500 bench finally

screwball- nice 450.. was that in a denim or the fury? either way, 500 will be yours soon.

Big okie- better luck next time man.. once you get your shirt dialed in , you'll be puttin up huge numbers

hannibal(if he reads these boards)- great job man, 425 is incredible for the first meet. how'd you like the atmosphere?

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    great job B.....

as we were talking about, i think you made the mistake of going too light on your 3rd attempt cause you got freaked out.

the bench is a special lift. it is SO shirt-centric you have to go with the weight that can bring the shirt down and NOT back down even if you miss an attempt. I did the same thing in canada. live and learn i guess

we are building an army of elite lifters here now. i told you about the 3 monster 800 squatters brewing like fine coffee in florida?

haha... take care.

ps... hannibal 425 in first meet is great! screwball: 500 will fall for you soon. bigokie: welcome to my world of shirt mishaps

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    I'd like to congats both of you and especially Hannibal for getting into and taking some great numbers in a meet. I don't know if it was your first meet but a 400 Plus is HUGE in my view. Congrats and more of them.

p03t1c is offline New Member
    there's always trouble in paradise. i wonder how many times in your life you'll go to a meet and be totally happy with EVERYTHING. i think it's awesome you nailed that 500. and to everyone else that lifted congrats. just going to a meet is more than alot of people can say they've done. congrats again.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Good job guys! BenchMonster i know you are glad to get 500 out of the way. Opening with it was the best decision. You should be happy to have beat the mental game of opening with a weight you'd never done in a meet. That takes balls!! Welcome to my world!! 550 will go next time. Just have confidence in your equipment. You know what it can do and dont stray from your game plan. Good job though.

Screwball is gettin strong! 450 is nice. What was his third? Either way great job. I see that his shirts are working nicely.

Bigokie bro dont sweat it. Like Irish said welcome to the world of shirt mishaps. Dialing in those babies is crucial. But one thing i can say is you need one big shirt for the opener. I have shirt problems worse then anyone and wheni open in my loose shirt there isnt a problem. But open in my middle one and its hit or miss. I can say like Halbert does, i have learned more from bombing at meets then winning them. And that is so true. Look at what happend and fix it. Best thing you can do is go right back in another one. Soon. Head up bro! It happens to EVERYONE.

Screwball is offline New Member
    Thanks for all of the support guys. We had a crew of 8 guys at this meet with 5 lifting and three helping. I just want to give a special thanks to VDOP and the Springfield Crew. The meet would have been much more difficult without the help of these guys. The favor will be repaid without a doubt.

The meet was unsanctioned so the rules were a bit relaxed but we lifted as if we were in a sanctioned WABDL meet. All of our lifts would have passed at a sanctioned meet. There was a pretty good turnout with about 75 lifters total (3 flights of 25 or so). Everyone registered in the open classes - Bmonster 242, Hannibal 275, BigOkie and I at 308. I weigh 282 but plan on being 300+ by the end of November.

BigOkie had shirt problems, as we all have from time to time, and failed to post a lift but the experience will be invaluable for the future. In November everything will be dialed in in he will hit the numbers he wants.

Hannibal (2nd place) had a tremendous first meet. The 405 and 425 were hard fought but successful. His attempts were right on the mark and he never quit on his lifts. A great meet to build on for future success.

My (2nd place) attempts were at 425 - 450 - 475. I used the Titan "Fury" and it worked well for me. It is probably a size too big for me right now but when I gain 15-20 lbs. it should be perfect for my strength level. I can touch 405 and I need the shirt to have a "touch weight" between 440 - 460. I can open at 440 - 455 and still have enough shirt left to hit something close to 500.

My first attempt was clean and fast but it should have been considering I can almost bench it raw. After the bomb I had at the last meet I just wanted to get a lift in and build some confidence. My second attempt at 450 was a good lift but I didn't stay in my groove on the way up and pushed it back towards my face. Had I been in a denim the shirt probably wouldn't have allowed the bar to ride back over my face and I may have missed the lift. The "Fury" is more forgiving and allowed me to use my shoulders to complete the lift. Even though I got the lift I was dissappointed that I didn't stay in my groove and it was slower than I wanted. I expected this lift to be similar to my first. My third attempt at 475 should have gone up. I misgrooved on the way down and let the bar get in front of my elbows (towards my face) which caused a strain on my biceps (right bicep sprain today) so I bailed out. I'm fairly confident that if I can get a lift in the groove, I can nail 475. It may be a little slow and hard fought but I know I can hit 475. A tighter shirt with more support is all I need. I plan to open at 440 - 455 in November and third attempt at 500. Maybe I can reach the 500 club by the end of the year.

There were five guys in the 308 open and I took second place. The guy who won the class hit 500 raw so I wasn't even in the game to start with.

Thazzit!
    Last edited by Screwball; 09-15-2002 at 11:55 AM.

BigArnie is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations to you all! Looks like the 500 club is getting very well populated.

jeremys is offline Associate Member
    just give me about 3-4 years and i'll have 500+ too, hehe

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    - GAL -->

VDOP is offline New Member
    Screwball-

I honestly think your second attempt was the better looking of the two. The speed looked pretty good untill the last 3 in or so. I wouldnt worry about it to much. Do you remember who won your class?

My buddy Nate really had a blast hanging wth you guys! I think he was having blood sugar problems due to his diet-he wasnt quite himself. That and he is a very anxious and nervous person when he competes. Thanks to all of you for opening up and welcoming him to the group. Hopefully I can get him to make the tripup to train at the Dungeon. I feel he has alot more potential if he would just drop the BS training pricipals he uses.

Ill be glad when my shoulder gets back in check-I was getting a rush just spotting and helping you guys get geared up-cant wait till my meet next month!

Later..

k1401 is offline Junior Member
    Congrats to the Okie Crew!
    Way to go Bench, I knew 500 would fall easily for you!

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Well, haven't been online since Fri. As you have heard I bombed, big time. Not angry. In fact after the meet I was happy. Because I learned what I need to change. Not gonna make any excuses. No my shirt didn't work, but that's my own fault. Didn't take NEAR enough attempts in it before the meet. Didn't know what the the hell would touch. Just guessed and said 435. Well it touched after some work, but it got out of groove.

All in all I had a great meet. Now I know what I have to do before Dec. I will be ready and this is the last meet I will bomb!

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    bigokie i hate to say this but it wont be the last time!! You are into some really big time shirts and its hit or miss. You are atalent and young so if i was you i would justy be patient and let time get under you and you will hit some big ass weights. No doubt.

Bench, screwball, okie you guys have ALL come along way since you started posting in the very biggining , this is just one of a ton of meetsyou will be doing. I am proud of you guys, and look forward to the next meets you guys do.

Screwball get bigger or a tighter shirt!!

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    good job fellas! Keep hitting it hard!!!! got the big 500, thats a great accomplishment, youll keep going up from there!!!!!

Thread Information