Sir hugenstein is offline Junior Member

Question on power lift bench press

When I do bench press I bring my head up off the bench and watch the bar touch my chest. Can you do this in a competition or will they call it a no lift. I would like to enter some powerlifting comps. mainy just bench press. Also how wide do your hands have to be placed on the bar.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Lifting your head is legal in most federations now. THe widest grip you can have is 81cm (i believe, or is it 82cm)

chad
    carolinapower.net

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Chad is correct, the head position is option in most feds and the max legal grip is either 81cm o.r 82cm.

Ermantroudt

BELLICOSE is offline Banned
    When it comes to powerlifting(mainly bench), the tall guys seem to get the shaft

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Well they make up for it in the deadlift!

BELLICOSE is offline Banned
    ahhh, the mighty deadlift!!
    Yeah, i guess that evens it up

Jimmy_Bravo is offline Associate Member
    Why would the tall guys have an advantage in the deadlift? I would think being tall with long legs compared to the shorter guys, you'de still be screwed. If I'm 6' tall, and have to lift the bar 3' untill I'm fully upright, the short guy would only have to lift only 2' to get fully upright. Wouldn't the short guy still have the advantage?

k1401 is offline Junior Member
    longer arms..............

Actually its a shorter torso that makes for excellent pulling. Long legs usually mean shorter torso. Unless you have a longer torso you cant really understand how much eaiser it is to just lean back with it and lock it out. How much you have to travel means nothing really.

A taller guy must use a max allowed grip for benching. Lots of back work. Use a good tuck of the elbows and have a great lockout. I have seen the worlds best bench bench in person and i can tell you not all have a real short stroke. I have seen guys 6'3 bench 650 plus no problem. Technique is something i studied very hard and every aspiring bencher should study as well. It will make up over 50% of your lift. Just like the deadlift, and squat.

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    back to the original subject... picking your head up

I have seen some successful benchers do this... Halbert comes to mind. However, recently I have been given some advice and words to think about.

If your head comes off the bench in a shirt, your shirt is probably too tight. Also, having your head 'forced' up by the shirt is also causing an unhealthy rotation of the shoulders.

I am beginning to be of the opinion that a slightly looser shirt and less shoulder rotation is going to prolong your life in the sport.

that being said, if you are picking your head up without a shirt, this is just bad form, and you should take care to correct it before it becomes a habit.

hope this helps.

Irish then you knwo i am in bad form!! My head comes up pretty good too! Its become a major habit. And yes i heard about the rotation of the shoudlers. I am dammed if i do , dammed if i dont!!

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    pljay... there are exceptions to every rule! you and halbert are certainly two of these!

Thread Information