deciever is offline Associate Member

Irish Power in PLUSA

Irish, there is a writeup on you in plusa(almost 1 paragraph) in case you didnt know..

".....In 3rd place Men's Open 275 class was Tommy Fannon. He's been on the shelf for a long time and returned here minus his trademark-he used to head butt the bar before squatting, leaving a goose egg on his forehead with blood streaming down his face. Tommy nailed an 826.7 SQ for three good ones in a row. He opened with a strong 518.1 BP, but further advances with 556.6 and 573.2 didn't materialize. Fannon opened with a 600.7 DL, then leapt big to 672.4 and got that by the skin of his teeth, bypassing a last try. TOT - 2017.2. What a comeback ...."

just thought i'd share

on a side note- anyone who got the Sept Issue of PLUSA, could any of you check for a contest called "Thunder at the beach" on Jun 15th in NJ, USAPL

just want to know if i am in there.

VDOP is offline New Member
    Congrats Irish-

I took yours and J's andvice and went back to westside style of SQ. I did 4mo. on a progressive routine, and my SQ has gone backwards. That and my hips have ended up weak as F.

Deciver- Ill check my issues and see If I can find it for you.

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    WOW.... its amazing. I have heard about my appearence in PLUSA from 3 separate people and I still DONT have the issue. Must be some slow mail carriers in Washington state!

Deciever, thanks a lot for posting that. Now I don't have to check my mailbox every day anymore.

VDOP: I am glad you are giving westside a(nother) chance for squatting. There are no magic formulae however. You will really need to assess you weak points in the squat and address these with specialty exercises.

If your hips are weak, I recommend ultra-wide box squats and weighted hip situps, among other things!

It will take quite some time to bring your hips up to par. I am still not as strong a hip squatter as I was a quad squatter, but I think time will fix that.

REVERSE HYPERS my friend. don't forget the reverse hypers!

good luck.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Good job Irish! Man i didnt know about the head buttin thing! You are a wild man! Good job on the write up. I think a paragraph is far more rewarding then a pic. I seen pics of guys benching 1/2 there BW but only the big lifts are worth writing about. Good job bro.

Irish-It still blows my mind the situps(wide straight leg w/weight) would build the Sq!

I had some help with my Sq yesterday by the Okie and Asylum crews. One thing I noticed was that at the halfway point there was a noticable transition. I didnt have trouble coming off the box(though I still feel I need more hip strength), but at about the halfway point, it stalls to damn near a halt, then fires out the last 1/2 of the lift. I will also say the when the 2nd half of the lift kicks in, Im still in my same groove(In other words i havent had to get out of my groove to get it going some more). Make sense what Im saying?, and what would this signify I need to bring up?

Deciever~Sorry for taking over your post! I looked through that issue for your contest, but no such luck. What made you think it would be in this particular issue? If you need me to check some older or upcoming isssues, I will be more than happy to once time permits.

Later..

deciever is offline Associate Member
    vdop- dont worry about it. i checked in the OCT issue and AUG issue and it wasnt in there, so i figured it may have been in the sept issue.

being in PLUSA is fun.. i want a write up about an up and coming amatuer lifter.. than i'll be famous

VDOP.... i will film these for you. if you do them right, you will know why they build the squat. they annihilate the hips. again, these are done ballistically. i throw myself off the bottom and contract abs and hips coming up. add bands for even more fun!

regarding your sticking point... here is what i find with a westside-wide stance...... it is hips and hams to get you off the box and almost ALL lower back to finish the lifts. i can't believe how little the quads are involved.

REVERSE HYPERS... heavy and with the shittiest form possible will give you good results. you should swing and contract as hard as you can with your ham and glutes.

deciever... i have the sept issue.... i will look for that meet.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    Congrats IRISH it's good to know that people on this board are bein recognized.

One day I'll be in there.

Hehe Irish-Heavy with the shitiest form possible!! Sounds like my kind of exercise.
    How do I use lower back in the last 1/2 of my Sq with out throwing my groove to the back though?

you dont consciously USE your lower back in the last part of the squat. having a strong low back will carry you through the lift.

how do you think Chuck V can squat 1000lbs with those tiny legs?
    Last edited by IrishPower; 10-15-2002 at 10:25 AM.

k1401 is offline Junior Member
    Way to go Irish!

Thread Information