ironmaiden181 is offline Female Member

Jackpoting for cash at meets??

All right lifters..... Have a question for you!!

In the other sports that I have competed in, we had jackpots!!! Would anyone enter this if I had it at the Ft. Myers meet?

All it is....... is when you enter your classes if you would like to jackpot (or bet on yourself) you would pay an additional (lets say) $20... This would go into a pot... At the end of the meet the Bestlifter and runners up to the bestlifter would share the pot (ex. paying just 3 places... 1st 50%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%)!! Depending on how may enteries would determin how many places would be payed.... If I can get added money that would also be put into the pot!!! The more entries the more holes would be payed!!!

This is like a little bet between the competitors!!

What do you think? Would you be interested in doing this if you were at the meet that it was offered?
    Kennelly Power Team
    The Elite Few!

GRIMM is offline Junior Member
    So only the best lifters or the top three by formula would get rewarded?
    Sounds good to me but i wouldn't be doing it unless i thought i had a chance at it with my week as bench. Another reason for me to train harder.

Well.... its not set in stone.... that is why I'm asking... I want to know what interest people the most....

We could also do it light, medium and heavy weight....
    Kennelly Power Team
    The Elite Few!

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    i think introducing money into meets will ruin the sport. this is amateur athletics, which by definition, means no reward money.

start putting a lot of money on the line, and lets see how friendly everyone is in the warmup room. missing a shirt? just ask your competitor for his and see what he says.

i really like kieran kidder, but i think the WPO is flawed in this respect.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Money is definitely a double edged sword. Like Irish said, the great thing about this sport is the camaraderie. Powerlifters will go out of their way to help each other. But if you throw money into the mix, people become cut-throat.

I mean sure, I don't mind lending someone my bench shirt, if they beat me in the meet with my own shirt....then so be it. But, If they beat me and walk away with a few grand...well, I'm going to be one pissed SOB! If the only thing standing between me and them winning money is a piece of equipment of mine that they need to borrow.....you can bet the shirt is staying in the bag.

On that same note, a friendly bet amongst 2 or 3 lifting friends is ok. Because most of the time, its all about bragging right, and the money is irrelevant.

I agree with you all on all of your opinions... and facts I might add!! I'm not talking about 1000's of dollars here... I'm talking about winning your entry fee, gas and food and in some cases your motel room back.... It gets expensive sometimes....

I haven't been in this sport very long but I have to say its one of the nicer group of people that I have been in contact with...

As far as cut throat..... I still see that happening when you get to the heavier weights... Look at Mendelson and Kennelly!! and they haven't gotten rich off of lifting..... ( Mendy as he calls himself... doesn't care for Ryan at all....) I don't think that money will change it to much.... I guess that I'm think alittle different than some in this... because I have been competing in other sports for money my whole life.... so I don't mean to offend anyone!!!

Besides I'm a competitor.... I'll help anyone out that is competing against me.... I train to win, so I want them to be at their best too..... so that it isn't an empty victory!!!

I know one thing though.... it will save me alot of trouble if I don't have to raise the "add money" for the meet.... lol

Stay strong everyone.....
    Last edited by ironmaiden181; 10-20-2002 at 05:28 PM.
    Kennelly Power Team
    The Elite Few!

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    I guess if the money isn't a huge amount, and its among friends, then it would be a good thing to do.

I haven't really seen Ryan or Scot being cut throat to one another. I think they both push each other to improve. You make a good point about helping your fellow competitor. I don't want to beat someone because they bombed out. Same with Ryan and SCot. They both want each other to be at the top of their game.

Also, I probably only throw money into a pot if I knew I had a good chance at winning

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    I personally think that if your the biggest baddest bencher their your gonna wanna do it.

Like GRIMM said for us guys that are just starting or our bench is our weakpoint, THEN it's not gonna help us much but We don't wanna be left behind. I know I wouldn't. Now if there was a way that the meet got big enough to do within say teens, open, juniors, etc. Then you go by formula MAYBE that'll make a BIT more interesting. The heavier people will wanna cut down to a lower BW to win and then not so many people will think that PL's are just FAT slobs that lift big.

Although that is starting to change somewhat but for the most part it's BIG GUT, beer drinking, heavy lifting, S O B's. (i'm not their yet)

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Hey i woudl do this 100%. IN fact on another board Scott Mentioned that Dec would be a cash meet. Best way IMO woudl be to get a sponser and extra cash woudl be good but you need a gaurantee pot. Some people travel and would be disappointed to get there and have two guys going for 50 bucks. ya know?

YOu could do the pot thing, but need a gaurantee for pros who travel in to win. But either way i will do it!!

Pljay.... I wanted to try to get sponsers for the meet... But didn't want to waste my time if no one was wanting to enter it.... I was looking at a $500+ cash pot.... But I got kinda discourged from the posts and said the hell with it!! If no one wants to do it then I want waste my time...

Right now I'm waiting to hear about the Radio station... We will probably have a Remote there... Dinners and I'm trying to get Budwiser there... It all looks pretty promising at the moment... I have alot more sponsers Im working on but that is just a few... Posters are in the works now... The Gym is puting together baskets of "goods" for awards also... not sure how many... we have talked about either awards or drawings with them.. I'm not sure.... they will include suppliments, one of the T-shirts from the meet ... etc... They have a ton of stuff they are wanting to do ... Worlds Gym is really wanting to do this and US right!!!! He wants it to be a really big meet... So he is doing alot of extras.... Oh and Musclehed and I have personally purchased a FORZA Comp bench and We will have Texas Power Bars...

I will have flyers to give out at the Nationals.... anyone else wanting to enter that will not be at the APA Nationals....Scott should have the entry form on www.apa-wpa.com or you can contact Musclehed275 or myself...
    Kennelly Power Team
    The Elite Few!

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Dont go by the feed back on the board. Bottom line is the money will be sought after by pro's. And in Florida i can tell you right this very moment it will be Me, Rick Lawerence, Mike Couch, James Jacobs, Beau Moore, and Brian Shwabb. It always comes down to this same 5 or 6 in all the big ones for best lifter. If Migueal Rodriguess is doing good count him too. BUt no offense to the other lifters but why enter against WPO pro's and pay extra for entry when you dont have a chance to win. So in truth a money class is great. Not all pros will show but a few will and there the ones going for it. And thats good cause if you sponser is there they get to see big benching 600 plus from all or 3x by Shwabb. BUt lifters who lift less hould enter cause you do not know who will show and even the ones that do might bomb! I say do it.

I am not lifting at the Nationals but i will be there and you will get a feel tomorrow who will come and who wont. See ya tomorrow!

GRIMM is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Jay, this would be geared towards the pros, but it is an insentive for the rest of us. What yoiu could do is just ake 5 bucks from everyones entry fee and there you have a few hundred depending on #'s. right there is your pot. Normal entry is 35 or 40. take 5 and the restgoies to whatever it needs to Trophies , promotor , idon't know how it works but it would still be cool.

I will have to talk to Scott and make sure that it doesn't get into his expenses... It might have to up the entry fee 5 bucks... I just really am not sure.... I'll be at the meet tomorrow so I'll be able to talk to some of you and get your inputs on some of the ideas I have for this!!

See you there!!!
    Kennelly Power Team
    The Elite Few!

Thread Information