SWOLL UP is offline Associate Member

What grip should I use?

I am still kind of new to powerlifting...right now I am going by the basic Westside Template. I am not a competitive lifter so therefore when I go for my max I go raw. I was wondering what kind of grip I should use for going for my max? Should I go out the rings or should I use the grip that I used to use which is thumb distance from the smooth? Also if I do keep my grip within the rings, should I still bring the bar low to my stomach?

Thanks

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Go as wide as you comfortably can. Ideally, you want to eventually have your index finger on the rings. This is the widest legal grip, and will allow you to push the bar the shortest possible distance. I still havent got my grip out that far.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    81 or 82 cm on the bar is the widest you should go these are the rules, BUT i stil don't know one person that goes out that far. I SURE as hell don't I literally cannot keep my elbows tucked going that far out.

SWOLL UP is offline Associate Member

what about...

what about the normal thumb distance from the smooth...plus half a thumb distance? You think that will be a good grip for a raw bencher? Also how low should I bring the bar? I do not use a shirt...so should I still bring the bar to my upper abs?

Thanks

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    SWOLL I'm a raw bencher, B/c I can't get shirts to work for me for right now, but I havn't had enough $$ to try diff ones, ANYWAY My old comp grip was just like yours 1 inch away from smooth I've been trying to get out wider i'm up to pinky just a little away from the power ring and I'm stil benching what I was 1 inch from smooth in fact I've been trying to get stronger wider by doing ME work wider than I normally go I'll try and do my ME work with middle finger on the ring(BIG DIFF) but i know i'm stronger closer so when I go to compete with pinky on comp i'll be stronger. Let me know if you get what i'm trying to imply.

bout the lowerin of the bar it is upper abs. KINDA where you place it on decline which is right below the pec that's where the bar should be stopping.

Thread Information