Ocnorb36 is offline Junior Member

Shirting up----Can I get a lesson??

Looking to purchase my first shirt and get ready to compete locally in January/February. There was a good thread recently on the types of shirts to consider so I am not looking for that. I am wanting some experienced bros to give me there take on what shirt feels like on the down motion, what can I expect at the bottom of the lift and what is the "groove". Lets assume I purchase a single poly open back from Inzer as a basic beginner shirt. Just looking for some shirt basics in how it feels, how the lift changes and possible how to avoid injury (ie PLJay's story).

Oc

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    The single poly isnt going to change your groove much at all, i would have went with the double poly! basically, you will probably only get about 15lbs from the single poly, and it will just tighten a little on bringing the weight down..PLJAYs injury came from a dble denim, different story, i did a similar thing with mine! basically, youll just get a tighter feeling from the single poly!

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    IN my opinion a first shirt should not be an open back. They are awkward and easer to get used to if you used a normal shirt first.

With that said i would get a closed neck , velcro back. This would be pefect. If yoru not locking out a ton then its worthless for a open back. I used a closed neck till i benched 550lbs. I loved mine. Never had mishaps till i went open. With a closed neck, velcro you can expect an easier groove. meaning it wont force yoru elbows into a uncomfortable position on the way down. the groove is the path the bar naturaly follows in teh shirt. You will feel it get tighter and tighter on the way down. Making it easier and easier to pause. Basically to give you a mental feel its like if you got 450lbs loaded on the bar. You will have 450lbs from 4 inches off yoru chest and up. The bottom 4 inches will be around 400 feeling. Thats the best way to describe it.

But for a first shirt dont go extreme. You will be sorry and actually end up hanging it in the closet and buy another one. I say this cause as we speak i know about 10 people who have shirts that cannot use. And everyone who has got the closed neck velcro shirts havent had anything but success with them. Good luck!

Thanks bro. I have not purchased the shirt yet but it sounds like I should take a look at a closed back. I have been locking 445 raw in the garage gym and would like to open with 465. Any recommendations for a solid closed back for my first shirt??

Oc

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    I have to disagree somewhat with PLjay (this is just my opinion of course). I think the open back can be used by a novice lifter. The 2 newest shirts on the market, the Titan Fury and INZER Phenom, are designed with 'stretchy' backs. This essentially recreates having an open back shirt.

The reason that open back shirts evolved back in 99 was because the denim shirts restricted the lats too much. Denim material does not give, so with a closed back or even velcro back denim, your lats got squshed in and you couldnt use them to there fullest extent. Thats when guys like Bill Crawford toyed with idea of cutting the back open, to allow the lats to get involved.

Now I have seen big numbers put up in closed back denim. Guys on this board like Irish and Pljay have both went into the 500s with a non-open back denim. Guys like Kenny Patterson have been into the 600s, etc. So its not impossible to bench big with a closed shirt. Certain people. like myself, rely heavily on the lats for support. In a closed denim shirt, I am unstable. Its only in a open back, that I can involve my lats and press like I am suppose to.

If you have never tried a shirt, then try the close back first (ok, I agreed with PLjay). You will find out very quickly if you are able to press well in it. If you rely on your lats a lot, and you feel unstable in the shirt (weight feels heavy in your hands, etc), then most likely, the closed back is going to hinder your performance.

Now for the choice of shirt. You probably see most of use denim. I think most would agree, denim is the best shirt you can get. But to have the best, there is a price. You will need a lot of practice in it. Also, fit is crucial. If your weight fluctuates, then your shirt performance can suffer or the shirt can become even too tight to wear. Most guys with denims have more than one shirt. I have 5, I am sure Pljay has a closet full. Its hard to rely on one denim.

The basic poly shirts are decent. You can get 30-50lbs out of them, depending how well you use them. Sometimes, you wont get anything.

The new shirts like the Phenom and Fury are a nice step up from the basic polys, and have less of a learning curve than a denim. If price is a factor, the Fury is better.

You also need to look at how you bench. Do you tuck your elbows or flare them? Do you touch the bar above or below your nipples? Factors like this are important. Certain shirts perform better with differnt bench styles.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is some of the stuff you need to consider when purchasing a shirt.

Great stuff. I used to flare out but I only ended up with shoulder injury after shoulder injury. Since refining my form with the elbows tucked, I have made much better use of my lats. I would consider myself a strong tricep lifter so my lockouts are decent. I am also trying to use my legs more for that extra boost at the bottom. All that said, I think the Inzer Phenon might be the best shirt (price and performance) for a beginner like me. I will start there and try to get a feel for what I need. Great info again and thanks to those that have responded.

Oc

Ocnorb, just my opinion again. I have tested the Phenom and found the groove to be very difficult. I like to tuck my elbows in and ulitlize my lats and triceps. THe Phenom made this difficult.

Keep in mind that Phenom was velcro back. THis shirt probably would perform best as an open back or stretchy back.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Great info Chad! You are a valuable asset to the board. Man i have a lot fo shirts , but you have used way more then i have. So i agree with what you say.

Ocnorb i woudl definiitly take his advice. He has been through alot of trial and error. I am fortunate that i have had a fairly easy , and successful run with mine. MInus a few injuries!! But if you tuck the elbows and bench with alot of tri you will be glad you got denim. You definilty bench enough. 445 raw is great. With a proper fitted denim and training regimen i woudl be looking at 480 or so from a denim. Good luck in your hunt.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    Musc. From what you said above does that mean that a CLOSED denim will take More lats outta the bench. I mean shit my lats are weak so if I was to try another denim does this mean that I should use a closed. back???PLJAY you might be able to answer this one too if you agreed wit Chad??

Cuba, yes. A closed back denim (this includes velco backs) makes it harder to use your lats. If you have a hard time using your lats now, a closed back denim will make it worse.

I agree with Jay in that you should give a closed back/velcro shirt a try first. It may work for you.

I personally tried closed back/velcro denims and couldn't utilize my lats well enough. With the open back, I am able to use my lats much better.

Hope this helps.

Well Jay never told me that I remember to use a closed one I was askin that as a question since I have weak lats.

I figured that if open back let u use lats or made it easier SHIT I'm not getting much outta my lats anyway might as well used a close back if it's all tris.

If you are having trouble using your lats now, then a closed back will just exacerbate that problem. An open back would likely be better.

Great info............some very knowledgable bros on this board. One more question (although I can't promise that!!!!!!!!). How often do you train in a shirt? Would it be wise to "break it in" on ME days? I think I read PL that you usually shirt up about 1 month prior to a comp. Just want to make sure I am comfortable prior to competing.

Oc

I am using my shirt almost every week. I will either use it with board presses, or take a few reps after my ME exercise. I think the more practice you have it in it, the better you will know your shirt and the more confidence you will have. I am not saying take a full max with it weekly but, but rather just put it on and get the feel for it.

Cool..........thanks for the help bro and all the responses.

Oc

Musc so even though I have REALLY weak lats an open back will stil be better.

About the shirtin up oncorb the reason you shirt up frequently or it's better to is like musc said. Another way to look at it is if you shirt up 1 month prior to meet like PL'n suggests and you can't find an opener in the shirt then your screwed for your meet. So really if you wanna just shirt up before meets after you've got the feel of it for good like musc has then shirt up 6 weeks out to comp and try and find an opener once you have then hit the 4 boards and 5 boards hard so you can make sure that your 3rd attempt you'll be able to lock it out. SHITT if you end up as one of those shirt freaks that can put up more on a opener than on a 4 board then just give it hell.

Thread Information