Tapout is offline Senior Member

submission tournament results

i know this is a power lifting forum but i and juice junkie have a lot of friends over here and some of you guys are interested in jui jitsu so i thought i'd tell you guys about this.
    saturday and sunday was the world martial arts and grappling championships at disneys wide world of sports complex.
    juice junkie competed in the gi heavy weight division and took first place winning a gold medal.
    i competed in the no gi super heavyweight division and also took first winning a gold medal.
    we had three other compitors from our school including our instructor and each of them won golds in different weight classes and different skill levels. our instructor won the advanced division in his weight class which was open to anyone(impressive wins).
    so our school did real well. there was hundreds of martial arts competitors from all over and all different styles.

i now have 1 trophy and 2 medals and titles for submision fighting--i figure about 100 more and my trophy room will look like pljays.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Good Job Tapout!

Ermantroudt

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    you know that it's pretty easy to find a trophy store in the yellow pages. I'm unsure of how many pljay has, but i've got to have him beat...my secret? I just call up the stores pretending to be the coach of some team - I can get 25 or so trophies this way at a time. Do it enough times, and no one can even tell 25 of 'em are the same.

Seriously, congrats to you on EARNING your trophy. I used to compete very seriously in tae kwon do and know quite well the dedication it takes to succeed in such endeavors. Nice job

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    NIce job Tapout! Seems like the school is really dominating. Glad your getting in there and living up toyour screen name and Tapping them out!!

Again Congrats. Whens the next one your doing? Did that one qualify you for anyting else?

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    good job bro.

Big green I used to do tournaments in taekwando also.

How long ago was it that you last competed in it. For me it's been 7 years my master was Master Sylvia and Sense(sp??) Chung Lee.

I had fun in it and learned alot, BUT it doesn't compare to PowerLifting.

Cubanito:

I guess technically one could make the argument that I wasn't really into Tae Kwon Do. My training was in Tang Soo Do (essentially the fraternal twin of Tae Kwon Do), but there were very few competitions for Tang Soo and I wasn't really into the "open" comps that always seemed so disorganized...so I turned to Tae Kwon Do, more or less because it provided an organization through which to participate in my 'real' art - tang soo. I haven't competed in several years (close to seven now as well...having hung it up when i hit 18) and do miss it from time to time. Towards the end i was getting quite good, having taken a national championship in tang soo do when they were held in SF and virtually all of the regionals i competed in for TKD (mostly in the Boston and Philly areas)....the Poconos as well, if i'm not mistaken.

john martinez is offline New Member
    What kind of submission did everyone win with? Also, has yourself or any of your club members been injured badly in tournaments?
    Good Job to all!!

Hey Big. I only took home one trophy and it was when I was 10 and red/black belt.

At age 12 I made it up to 2nd degree black bet, AND THEN QUIT. I quit b/c of two reasons 1 i was moving from miami and kinda lost interest in it and 2. b/c my parents couldn't afford to pay for it anymore.

I only did 4 tournaments, I would've done more but believe it or not, not many 5-8 year olds competed. I only broke boards at the comps that I had no one to spar. The one thing i do love was in black belt you were superior above others and got to use nun-chucks, a bow(sp???), and although it was a real blade a sword made out of the material used for nun-chucks. I can't really remember all that well what the name of our squad was but it was something bad ass, i'll tell ya that much. Sad to say I stil have all my equipment in the attic with my belt.

hah, i still take out the chucks now and again....they weren't really a true part of the korean arts, so i could only do them in open comps - but i loved those. I too started young...probably about 5 or 6 and there actually were quite a few in my age bracket. I was almost always dominant in my age bracket - not because i was really that good, but because i've been my height (6'1") since i was about ten, so no parents would let their same-aged kids spar with me...so at age ten i was sparring with the 16-20 year olds. Come tourney time it was nothing to go against kids my own age.

Was never really into breaking...it was a mental thing i think. Boards were fine, but my black belt in TSD is actually nonsanctioned/unrecognized by the world TSD assoc since i didn't complete the requisite concrete block breaking portion of the "exam".

you guys would have liked this tournament
    it was the world martial arts championships and there was all kinds of people from all over for 2 days. what ever style you can say was there. they had i think 9 rings set up. 3 of them were grappling, a couple were not being used and the rest(4 i believe)were striking styles. chinese fighting styles were in 2 rings and i believe tae kwon do in others.
    john martinez
    i fought just 1 time for this one he was 6'1" and weighed in at 260lbs(big boy). i did a sacrafice throw,mounted him and then after about 1 minute got a bent arm lock(key lock,kimura)--i was slowly torquing it telling him to tap--he kept resisting then pop--then he tapped. i felt bad but let go as soon as i heard tap so didnt hurt it too bad.
    juice junkie fought in the advanced gi and tapped out a brazilian blue belt with a arm bar after schooling him with like 10 points.
    as far as injury--in the last tournament juice junkie had his elbow poped fighting a huge dude(jj wasnt feeling good and was not on top of his game and had to fight the biggest dude there). jj weighed in at around 210 and the guy he fought was 270 area. he didnt hurt it to bad but thats about the worse injury we have ever had to our team.
    pljay i'm not sure if my win qualifies me for anything but our next tournament is in january and should be pretty big.
    thanks for all the support bros

Big the reason I didn't have many people down in miami to spar with was b/c not many people down there believed in teachin their kids martial arts the true way to fight with courage and respect it was more like teachin them cheap shots, kickin while down, and boxing(down there you learned boxing from an uncle that was half drunk on 'noche buena', which is christmas eve, and after he "learned you" you had to show him what he tought you by trying to box him)

LMFAO thinkin bout all the times I did this.HAHAHAHAAAAAAA.

DEADLIFT FREAK is offline Junior Member
    Awesome. I started taking Shaolin Kung-Fu a few months ago. My instructor is amazing on his feet and has now been studying BJJ for the last few months as well. In a few years he is gonna be tearing shiat up! He trains under one of Renzo Gracie's top students. Congrats on the victory.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    JJ your a badd ass grappler i hear these days!! Keep it man you found your calling. I never see you anymore so you must be at it hard! Stop ni and say whats up to the boys sometime!!

Congrats JJ!

vera jj went up cause no one was in his class and he schooled the blue belts
    my division was open no gi so it was any experience level against any experience level

wow i didnt know till you called earlier jj--it was supposed to be in jan but now dec. that means got to get my fat ass on the stepper. i want to be able to fight in gi 2 divisions if possible and no gi so i need to get my wind up so i can fight at least 4 fights
    espically since in home town

vera--i dont even know, in the no gi open division there is no way to tell for sure as they are not wearing belts and its open to all. i was cautious at first cause of his size but he couldnt even attempt to escape my mount or arm lock so he wasnt that technical. he probably uses his size a lot in training as he was alot bigger than the other people on his team. he only had 20lbs on me so he wasnt able to use size much to an advantage.

Yeti is offline New Member
    good job here in year or so id like to enter a no gi tourney and see how i do in the beginner area. were is your school at tapout?

its in south florida

sorry my heads still stuck at the beach

beaner is offline New Member
    Tapout, I just started posting recently and saw your post. You guys are pretty impressive. I was just curious, with 1 trophy and 2 medals you must be a somewhat of a beginner. What belt do you hold and how often do you compete?

Thread Information