bigokie is offline Junior Member

Breaking paralell

How do you guys get down to paralell? I'm having a ton of trouble getting down to paralell. I've figured out that I have been training on too high of a box. So now I've moved out my stance and lowered my box height. But I have a meet coming up quick and still can't get down to paralell. Any ideas? I'm thinking about not doing this meet and just sticking to using this lower box from now on. Hopefully this will loosen up my hips and allow me to get down lower.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    1. Stretch your hips before squatting
    2. Put some Red Hot onto your hips before warming up
    3. Sit Back, not down
    4. Force yourself down

How far above are you? Bringing your stance in a tad will make it easier to get down too.

Ermantroudt

deciever is offline Associate Member
    just let the weight take you.......

god i love this pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breaking paralell-336low.jpg  

also try bringing your stance in abit

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Deceiver, thats too deep bro! lol. Great job again on your meet performance.

Holy crap Dec. If I got that far down I don't think I would get back up!

Well, I am gonna try stretching. I've tried bringing in my stance a little. I am just a little above paralell. Just enough to be borderline. I've dropped my box height and I really think that will help, but not until my next meet.

Thanks

try PNF( proprioceptive nueromuscular facilitation) .. its the best type of stretching for increasing flexibility quick. Its worked for me....

Dec, what the hell is PNF? Do you know of a website?

Nibbe is offline Junior Member
    is that too deep(the guy on the picture)? LOL, then I must be doing something wrong, i go all the way down, just like that guy!

thats me in the pic.... and thats about the required depth for a USAPL/IPF meet... maybe an inch or two lower than required.. in most of the other feds, they are a lot more understanding about depth, and arent as strict.

FLASH242 is offline New Member

DEPTH

OAKIE,

MAKE SURE TO TAKE IN A GOOD BREATH OF AIR BEFORE YOU DESCEND. SIT BACK WITH YOUR HIPS AND KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND BACK. (CORRECT TORSO POSITION) IF YOU ARE ALREADY DOING ALL OF THIS ,THEN, " IS YOUR SQUAT SUIT TOO TIGHT?" IF SO, ADD MORE WEIGHT(TRY BEFORE CONTEST) OR USE A LESS RESTRICTIVE SUIT. GOOD LIFTING........FLASH

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    bigokie, if you havent stetched until you were suggested to in the above post...are you ok!? haha, its important to stretch before you lift, upper or lower body exercises, running, REGARDLESS! its also very important to stretch after your workout.

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    I had some depth problems early in my career...I did all the mentioned above, and was still having problems...A guy that I trained with, he went on to win the USPF worlds at 44 years of age, with an 800+ squat, had me point my toes out a little more, i dont know if you have them pointed out allready..Anyway, for some reason, it unlocked my hips, since then, i was never called on depth again!

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    "...in most of the other feds, they are a lot more understanding about depth, and arent as strict."

We, in APF Michigan, are just as strict as anyone else. You come here and squat high, and I promise you there will be no need to bring your bench shirt. The difference is I, as the ref, can tell when you are paralell and when you are not. Thus, the need for "convincing" depth is avoided.

Ermantroudt

erman- thats why i said "most". there are some feds, that are strict about judging, but others that arent....

Thread Information