BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Max test Wednesday...tips or suggestions??

Well, as some of you know, I'll be starting up the classic beginner's westside routine next week, having completed an HST workout cycle. As such, i'll be testing my max lifts on Wednesday...i'm particularly interested in my bench results, as I haven't maxed out on bench in some time (almost 8 months), or benched much period...and both my incline and military presses have risen dramatically during this time - so i'm optimistic. However, I want to do everything i can to ensure that it goes well. Any tips or suggestions? I'll probably be going with a red bull or maybe some utlimate orange before hand; for the psychological edge if nothing else. What has worked for you guys in the past when prepping or going for a max lift? I'm posting this in the workout forum as well in hopes of getting a good variety of answers.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    Well first you have to be sure in your head that you can do tha weight like tell yourself that your gonna get this it's another training day, MAYBE even try tellin yourself that your speed benching.

You want to make sure to eat A LOT from now til tomm. CARBS and protein and fats so eat A LOT. Also i'm guessing you've taken time off. If you want to test all 3 lifts I don't think it'll be good on the body to do all 3 tomm BUT you do them in a full power meet. SO go SQ/BP/DL.

Just get TONS of sleep and rest and try not to pick anything up lighter than the remote and some food.

GOOD LUCK remember to post how things went.

Thanks Cubanito...you're always quick to respond in an informative way. I'll be sure to post how things go...i'm already looking forward to seeing how it turns out like a little kid waiting for xmas break. I am, aside from this max test, taking the week off from the gym entirely, so i should be fresh. In terms of what to do immediately preworkout, though, I've always gone in on a fairly empty stomach (intense workouts never mesh well with a full stomach in my experience)...though i've heard anecdotally that when going for a max test, you should consume something almost immediately beforehand, preferably junk food...is that correct?

Well, I'm sorry to report that bench press max test went as badly as could have been imagined...not only did i not make any real progress, but I actually regressed! I couldn't quite power up my previous max, despite the fact that most of my pressing overall had increased. I had really believed that getting away from flatbench for a bit, while simultaneously making progress in my other pressing lifts, would allow me to go back to flat bench with renewed vigor and strength and so on. Looking back, it seems that maybe i took TOO MUCH time off from flat bench and kinda got out of the groove or something.

They say there's a silver lining to every cloud, and there certainly was to this one, as I was so pissed off at myself for missing that lift that I went out and kicked the hell out of my old deadlift PR. So, at the very least, i can go to bed somewhat content. Westside training begins in a week, so I have no doubt that with a bit of diligence, i'll not only get back to where I was, but past it in no time.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    "...not only did i not make any real progress, but I actually regressed!"

What did you do to bring up your weak points?

"I had really believed that getting away from flatbench for a bit, while simultaneously making progress in my other pressing lifts, would allow me to go back to flat bench with renewed vigor and strength and so on."

What grip did you use for the other pressing movements? If you use a narrow grip, they can be very valueable training tools.

"Looking back, it seems that maybe i took TOO MUCH time off from flat bench and kinda got out of the groove or something."

That is one of the best things about WSB, dynamic day works for the development of speed and technique.

"...that I went out and kicked the hell out of my old deadlift PR. So, at the very least, i can go to bed somewhat content."

Congrats on the deadlift PR! About being content with what you lift, I am never satisfied with what I have lifting in the past for too long, but celebrate the effort you put forth, and know it is the application of that effort that will lead you to bigger goals.

Ermantroudt

"What did you do to bring up your weak points?"

To be honest, I just came off an 8-week HST cycle, so during this time i was doing nothing specifically to address my weak points. However, for the few months previously, I'd been hammering my tris (the weak point), which allowed me to jump up on incline presses, military presses and closegrip bench presses dramatically enough that I was certain it would translate into a bigger bench when i came back to it. However, this morning, my chest actually really sore (at the lower point) simply from two missed attempts at my old PR, I'm beginning to think that I focused so much on bringing up the weak parts that i completely ignored one of the critical aspects for the last couple of months.

Oh, and you're right...the satisfaction from the deadlift is already over and now I'm hungry to get out and break through this one.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    BRO I'm sorry I couldn't get back to ya earlier. The junk food thing was correct.

My first time trying a westside workout I didn't do all that great I THOUGHT. I got 25# on bench 50 on dead and 50 on squat. WITH 8 week cycle NOW that I think how my progress is coming I WISH I could gain like that again.

But westside works. and for deads especially for some reason for people with long arms(me).

sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied but like ERMAN said work the weak points thats my prob right now and i'm workin on them(lats, tri of course and shoulders)

Thread Information