deciever is offline Associate Member

home gym equipment

Okay guys, im getting some stuff for a home gym for christmas, and im goin g to have some left over money to spend..

Im undecided what i should do with it.. i was thinking..
    A) Cambered bar
    B) Average bands, and keep left over money
    C) Set of chains from topper supply
    D) other..

any ideas??

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Perhaps if you told us what you already have, we could help you make the best choice?

From that list, I would go with the Average Bands, and spend the extra $20.00 and get some mini's now too.

Ermantroudt

GRIMM is offline Junior Member
    I would get a saftey squat bar before a cambered bar. there are a dozen ways to work the chest similar to a cambered bar but nothing works the squat/dead muscles like a SS Bar. just my opinion.

im getting a power rack, bench, 600 some odd lbs of weight, i have mini and light bands already, and i have 200 lb set aside for dumbells... i have a kettlbell as well too. I also have a set of 3/8 chain for suspending stuff, but if the full set of chains is really good on DYN days, and stuff, i may opt for those. What could i use the average bands on? only thing i could think of is reverse band deads.. i think they might be too much for me on squats... ahh so confusing..

Grimm- i cant afford the safety squat bar.. its like 300$.. the cambered bar is like 120 w/ shipping, has a 3.5 inch camber or something... but thanks for the input

im not getting top of the line stuff... my min wage job just wont allow that....
    Last edited by deciever; 11-30-2002 at 05:22 PM.

Jagermeister is offline Junior Member
    I would get the bands,

I would also look around at scrap yards, shipping yards for 5/8 or 1" chain. you might be able to find some cheaper than Topper supply and you dont have to pay for shipping.

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    i have the cambered bar. i think it's a waste of time. i've used it like once.

get the chains and bands

DO YOU HAVE A REVERSE HYPER???? IF NOT, SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR THIS.

i think im going to go with the average bands, and use the left over money to buy something like a weight tree....

I'll make sure i check around for a scrap yard by me.. thanks for the idea/.

a reverse hyper... that would be so nice.. i think im just going to build one to fit the power rack.. im too cheap to buy a real one..
    going by my current 7 hour work weeks @ 5.40 an hour, + 10% in taxes.. i think i'd hjave to wait quite some time before i got one...

oh, and also, i finally got the website working..

everything you told me worked great, but my ISP was blocking port 80.

JMcQuaid is offline New Member
    The bands are a must, with the bands, you can also do pull throughs, and they can be used on just about every exercise in some way. also save up money for a Safety Sqaut Bar. I hate the bar, but love the bar, it really works the muscles great, and westside barbell, is experimenting on using it for mini cycles on Dynamic Effort day. I have a friend that had a welder build a reverse-hyper attachment to his power rack and it works great.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Well, I guess I'm gonna be a little different. I would go with the chains, either from toppers or locally if you can find them. Get as many sets of the 5/8" that you can afford. The 3/8" you have can be used as support chains around the bar. I am coming to the conclusion that chains are better than bands. That's my opinion anyways. But good luck with your gym.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel

Antaeus is offline New Member
    D - go with the bands. You can do many exercises with them, and have leftover $ to boot.

Thread Information