zackdarnell is offline New Member

Please critique this video of my DE squats.

Have a look at this video and tear it apart. Let me know what I'm doing wrong and how to improve. Be brutal. I know I need tons of work.
    http://www.clintdarden.com/Zach/12-5DEsquat.wmv

I was using 240, which is approx. 50% of my max. As you can see, I am not using a proper box because I dont have one here at school. This bench is the best thing I can use in the gym.

Here are my thoughts:
    -too slow.
    -not sitting back enough.

Please let me know what you think.
    Last edited by zackdarnell; 12-05-2002 at 04:11 PM.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    I am unable to get the link to work.

Ermantroudt

Originally posted by Ermantroudt
    I am unable to get the link to work.

Ermantroudt
    Try it now.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member

Re: Please critique this video of my DE squats.

"As you can see, I am not using a proper box because I dont have one here at school."

If I sent you the directions, could you build one to use? A bench is going to be too high unless you are over 6'6"

"-too slow."

Speed was pretty good. Do you have chains or bands? You also should sit on the box, not tap it with your ass.

"-not sitting back enough."

This is true.

You also need to:
    1. Move your stance out wider over time
    2. Wear loose suit bottoms or briefs on DE Day (They help protect the groin when squatting wide)
    3. Push the knees out the for the entire lift

Ermantroudt

Re: Re: Please critique this video of my DE squats.

Originally posted by Ermantroudt
    [B]"As you can see, I am not using a proper box because I dont have one here at school."

If I sent you the directions, could you build one to use? A bench is going to be too high unless you are over 6'6"
    I will be building one over Christmas break, when I'm at home. Hopefully I can use that at the school gym. However, It looked to me like I was getting to parallel on the bench I was using.

"-too slow."

Speed was pretty good. Do you have chains or bands? You also should sit on the box, not tap it with your ass.
    Yeah, I realize now I wasnt sitting on it enough. I'm going to work on that.

You also need to:
    1. Move your stance out wider over time
    This is what pisses me off. I want to squat wider, but that is as wide as I can go in the rack. My feet are touching the sides.

2. Wear loose suit bottoms or briefs on DE Day (They help protect the groin when squatting wide)
    I already wear groove briefs on DE day.

3. Push the knees out the for the entire lift
    Another thing I will be working on.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else?

This Is Bench Day is offline Junior Member
    zack, I'm still a beginner like you, but I've had some good advice from a vet on box squatting.

When you're going down to the box, concentrate on sitting BACK, rather than sitting DOWN. Also, you need to sit way farther back. The way that video looks you're barely interrupting the eccentric/concentric phases. Sit way back, so your hips are completely released before you do the concentric. When I do it, I am on the box for roughly one second -- so really take a little more time and sit back

Your speed looked great. Ermandtroudt pretty much hit all the form issues. If you need to go slower in order to work on form for the first few weeks, then do it.

Another thing is read D.TATE's Q&A on box squatting on elitefts.com. Check out the archives... tons of advice there.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    I think everyone has said it already. You need to sit BACK, not down. You may actually need to try this with the bench first, instead of a lower box. The reason being, your hips and glutes are weak. You may actually 'fall' onto the box at first. This is normal, and as your hip strength goes up, gradually lower the box.

You will know you are sitting back when you see your lower leg perpindicular to the floor. Your knees move to far foward shifting most of the work to your quads. Make sure you are doing plenty of exercises to make your glutes the dominate muscles. Straight Leg DL's, Glute Ham Raises, Good Mornings, etc.

Thread Information