Eddie is offline New Member

almost wooped my friends ass today.. spotting

omg im soo pissed off right now!! but im getting over it ok so today i did bench press and i was benching 235 so i told my friend hey i wanna do 5 of them so i did 5 but i struggled on my last one so i was like one more ur gonna have to spot me alot so i tried for 6 and i couldnt get it up so all the weight was on my chest so i was like k help me get it up now so he was like ok well push i was "dick i am" so he was like i cant grab it its on ur chest i cant fit my hand around the bar and i was like dude use to fuckn hands u idiot so some guy heard me say that so he like helped me get the weight up god!! i felt like fuckn wooping my friends ass sooo bad omg i thought i was over it but just typing you this story pissed me off again haha

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    yeah i got a story like that too. I had just got some straps and with deadlifts i could never go that heavy because my grip would fail, so once i got them i decided to pretty heavy.

I had never done 315 before so i gave myself a couple warmup sets, rested alot and i specifically told my friend " Watch me carefully cuz i have never done this much weight before". So anyways i ended up doing like 4 reps no problem, on the 5th rep i was about 75% up and i got stuck, i was just holding on and expecting that extra push from my partner. Well i was holding on it for about 2 seconds and of course my partner wasn't looking, just kinda walking around a lil bit. So out of the corner of my mouth i say his name in a kind of gruntish voice as i'm struggling to keep the weight up. So finally he rushes over, and starts to help, u know how when u're benching and u get stuck and your partner will give u like 2 fingers of help, well he did that but it was so much weight that 2 fingers aint gonna help worth shit. So finally he stepped up and started to really lift but as soon as he did that i just had to drop it.

I should have just dropped it in the first place when i realized he wasn't paying attention, but i almost had that damn rep so i kept trying to get it. Anyways i managed to just about keep my form good the entire time, but i had to ice my back the rest of that day and it hurt a bit the next couple days but overall i think i was pretty lucky that i didn't do any real damage to my back.

Well thats my story about shitty spotters. Hope u enjoyed mine too.

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    yeh that happened to me but with nobody there. the week proir i do 315 for the first time so i'm like no problem and put it on again. well lets just say the oatmeal didn't kick in that day. that shit came hurling down like a ton of bricks. and i had no spotter so thank god i didn't have clips on. i dumped it and it sounded like a truck came threw the wall. the whole gym comes runnin over including this hot girl who has been given me the eye, well i learned one thing that day. GET A SPOTTER, even if they suck they could yell for help. oh and i never hooked up with that girl either.

Eddie is offline New Member
    yeah its like what are you thinking that you will be able to lift this weight with one hand do you actually think your that strong.. im getting mad again haha i remember looking at his face just looking at me like well i cant lift it what em i suppose to do and or a spoter like saubodian said to use two fingers with that kind of weight u must be a fool haha sorry just had to vent

DEADLIFT FREAK is offline Junior Member
    Saboudian- who told you to do forced reps on deadlifts? If you need a spotter for deads something is wrong with your training.

I hope you learned your lesson. If you are ever attempting a near-maximal weight, have a reliable spotter. Don't just grab any guy and assume he'll lift it for you.

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by DEADLIFT FREAK
    Saboudian- who told you to do forced reps on deadlifts? If you need a spotter for deads something is wrong with your training.

I hope you learned your lesson. If you are ever attempting a near-maximal weight, have a reliable spotter. Don't just grab any guy and assume he'll lift it for you.
    I was just thinking the same........if your spotter helped you didnt get it anyway so you shoulda dumped it and waited until you could really lift it. Not to mention forced reps on deads is a good way to get hurt.

Thread Information