xephonics is offline Associate Member

Question on 5/3/1 while on AAS

I just started the 5/3/1 routine, and I am liking it. Currently I'm not on a cycle, and my next one starts beginning of April (My cycle will be wk 1-4 30mgs/day of Halo, wk 1-12 Test E 500mg/wk)

My main question about the routine while being on a cycle is this: he consistently states to only go up 10lbs on lower body, and 5 lbs on upper body every 4 weeks. (Well not technically 10lbs on each workout, 10lbs on the 1rm you use to calculate your weights for the workout.) This has me wondering if I would be wasting gains while on AAS, as I know those numbers will no coincide with my strength gains.

So should I increase the weights more if I'm on AAS during the routine? Or should I stick to his 10 and 5 lbs increases?
    Edit/Delete Message

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by xephonics View Post
    I just started the 5/3/1 routine, and I am liking it. Currently I'm not on a cycle, and my next one starts beginning of April (My cycle will be wk 1-4 30mgs/day of Halo, wk 1-12 Test E 500mg/wk)

My main question about the routine while being on a cycle is this: he consistently states to only go up 10lbs on lower body, and 5 lbs on upper body every 4 weeks. (Well not technically 10lbs on each workout, 10lbs on the 1rm you use to calculate your weights for the workout.) This has me wondering if I would be wasting gains while on AAS, as I know those numbers will no coincide with my strength gains.

So should I increase the weights more if I'm on AAS during the routine? Or should I stick to his 10 and 5 lbs increases?
    Edit/Delete Message
    that the major malfunction with the 531, cookie cutter programs are far from an exact science. use more weight if you feel good less if u feel weak. my advice, use a better program

xephonics is offline Associate Member
    it seemed to have good reviews from a lot of people, and wendler seems to be a decent lifter.

But I do agree with you on the lifting more if I feel more. Though his main point about the routine is slow progress to prevent plateaus.

I guess we'll see. I'll post my results.

BBronco is offline Junior Member
    a better program like what?can you please point me in the direction of 1?ive been doing 5/3/1 and have been getting good consistent gains.If i could find something more effective id be more then happy to try it

Akron45 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    that the major malfunction with the 531, cookie cutter programs are far from an exact science. use more weight if you feel good less if u feel weak. my advice, use a better program
    I really feel that is where 5/3/1 really shines... the fact that it ISN'T a cookie cutter program. Sure, you have your 3 set percentages but the rest is entirely up to you.

Thread Information