BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

My Long Awaited Westside Results

So they weren't "long awaited", not by a long shot, but i'm willing to bet that those of you who were so willing to help out with my questions, either through postings or PM's over the course of my westside beginner's routine are at least somewhat eager to hear the results. Accordingly, without further delay, it is my pleasure to present BIGGREEN'S WESTSIDE RESULTS!

Out with the suspense and straight to the numbers (nine weeks apart literally to the day):
    *Bench Press - up 45lbs. (Ooops, EDIT: should read 40lbs)
    *Deadlift - up 80lbs.
    *Squat - up 120lbs!

Some commentary:

Obvious ecstaticism aside, as I really am incredibly pleased with this progression in matter of nine weeks, I feel that critiques are called for, as that is the essence of progress. I believe my bench numbers could have been more impressive (the poundage gain isn't as impressive as it might seem, as, while it did get me 45lbs over my max of nine weeks ago, that max test of nine weeks ago...and the week prior to show statistical reliability...was approximately 30lbs less than my max had been in the past) had I done two things.

1. Been more open with regards to DE day. The old school program called for 50-some odd percent of 1RM, and despite many of you urging me to switch 33% or so, I decided to tough it out where i started, thus breaking one of PLJay's maxim's of going too heavy on DE day.

2. Settled on a working grip for ME days earlier in the program. I began week one with my middle finger on the ring, moved to ring finger on the ring, seemed to settle on pinkies on the ring, but at one point moved it in even a bit further than that before finally returning to pinkies on the ring where I finished. This wasn't random, i often changed based on how I felt with the varying grips on DE day...though I probably should not have been so quick to change. Furthermore, I think I got a little "giddy" with regards to bands and chains, and perhaps overused them with regards bench...oftentimes using them four or five workouts straight, whereas they were a once a week addition to squats.

WIth regards to squats, I did put over an inch on my legs, if not closer to an inch and a half (so much for westside not resulting in size gains with the same consistency or even existence of a bodybuiling routine). This was all hamstrings and i probably lost a bit in the quads. Insofar as the poundage increase is concerned, I'd say that the gain can be largely attributed to a pretty equal distribution of bringing up my previously VERY weak hams and (finally) learning to squat correctly. I was always able to move massive amounts on the leg press but my squats were literally pathetic, to the point where if i tried to keep up with some of the hardcore females i trained with (bringing max attempts to 250-275...no one on little girl's level to be sure) my knees would literally feel as though they were gonna fall of the next day. I'm certain the gain in deadlift was largely attributable to this same dynamic.

Again, so much thanks to everyone who had the patience to answer my questions. I hate to be leaving this routine for a while, but the plan was to switch over to a traditional bb'ing platform for 12 weeks upon completion...and the plan must be followed. Thanks.
    Last edited by BigGreen; 01-27-2003 at 10:55 AM.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Good work bro,

Pain

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Those are some great results, congrats on YOUR hard work!

Ermantroudt

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Very good to hear! Those results speak for themselves. There is no doubt westside works. Good job.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    BG,

Good to hear so whats next? Continue w/ westside or are you going to go back to a BB type workout and apply the new strength to it?

Either way great job, I hope your results motivate some others to give westside a whole hearted shot.

Stay Strong,

xxxl83

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, I'll be turning back towards a traditional bodybuilding type program for the next twelve weeks or so, with a return to westside upon its conclusion. As great as my numerical results appear on paper, I really will consider my next westside period my first "true" experimentation with westside techniques. This routine, I simply followed the prescribed 9-week beginner's routine. Not very much in the routine, if anything, was tailored specifically to combat my unique sticking points and weakness - aside from the atrocious hamstrings. This next go around, I'll be armed with a much greater idea of exactly how to make the routine work for me. This is where I believe I'll get the true westside gains. They may not be numerically as high as this go around, but I think they'll be more hard earned and impressive, since i've polished the disgusting flaws in my technique, and from here on in, gains will be made mostly through sound training science and minute but critical technique distinctions. I'm really excited to get back on it...and if size wasn't my major concern, i'd be running it again right now. I will miss it for these next 12 weeks, though I also hafta say that after last night's bicep workout, I did so miss those traditional bodybuilding pumps that seem to last well into the night.

Thread Information