BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Enlighten me please...(bench question)

Hi guys, I've been a bit remiss with studying and finals, but, rest assured, i've been diligently keeping up my westside training in between library trips (gym is at the exact midpoint between my apt and the main library). Anyway, i have a quick question while I'm procrastinating here:

On all of my ME bench core exercises (board press and floor press thus far) the difference between my 3RM and 1RM is minute. That is to say, if I get 275 + chains for 3, when I go up to 285 (sometimes even just 280), it's all I can do to manage that one rep. Is this type of "tiny" discrepancy between a 3RM and 1RM normal? IF not, what might it indicate? My "theory" (limited as my PL'ing knowledge might be) is that years of bodybuilding training have made 1RM's foreign to my body and nervous system. I would argue that this is the reason (or at least the major contributor to the actual reason) there is such a relatively small jump in weight from the 3RM to the 1RM....any thoughts?

jeremys is offline Associate Member
    maybe you're made up of a certain muscle fiber type (fast/slow twitch) that makes these numbers the way they are?

just an idea

This Is Bench Day is offline Junior Member
    yeah, your theory sounds about right.

Another thing is the chains can be deceving like that if your weakpoint is near the top. Maybe with 3 reps you have the speed to lock a weight out on momentum, whereas you can add just 10 lbs, and when that speed disappears, your weak points come out of the woodwork.

but I think that even that doesn't account for how small of a jump you're getting from 3 rep to 1 rep max. most people get at least 5%, usually 10% or somewhere in the range. So probably your theory has more to do with it. hopefully somebody else can give you a better answer.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey, thanks for the quick replies (my concentration at the bibioteca is waning and this helps). Truth be told, i somewhat thought that 3RM to 1RM difference I'm experiencing was the norm. However, after talking with several friends also attempting to improve their power movements, i found out i was VERY much in the minority on this one, and it struck me as reason for concern. Hoping for some more theories/conjectures/points of fact - as i'm becoming convinced that unlocking this "mystery" is the key to my ultimate success in my PL'ing endeavors.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Alot of it can be this. If you do a true three rep max you may have all but shot your wad! You may be out of gas. Hell if you tire then your tired. I would say take longer rest before you do the one rep max and get a good psych going as well. But a 5lb or 10lb jump is so suttle you should at least get 2 reps. I mean if you fail completly on yoru third rep then go up 10lbs, no way are you gonna get three more. When your lifting a certain amount of weight the percentages are differetn then with heavier weight. Like someone who benches 600lbs when there in the 400 range 10lbs is like 1 lb to someone who benches 300 and is doing work sets in the 200's. I say your on track and dont worry about it. Just lift the best you can and beat those records no matter what the jump is. Dont sweat the small shit.

CHSDOG55 is offline Associate Member
    I had this same problem until i started training different I did up-sets. Take whatever u can do 6 times and do it. Then Do 4 reps 10 pounds heavier. Then 2 reps 10 pounds more. Then 1 10 pounds more. It really worked with me. Also another trick i've learned is getting a feel for the weight. I will put maybe 10 or 15 pounds more than im gonna try to max and i lift it off and bring it out over my chest and do tiny i mean tiny reps. maybe just a couple of inches down at the most. and set it down. then wait a minute then throw what ur gonna max on there and it seems light to you. Tyler

nfceast is offline New Member
    I was havin' the same problem with my deadlift and asked the owner of the gym. He's an older powerlifter with a lot of experience- 780sqt, 660DL, 485 BP. and knows his stuff.
    1st he told me that 95% of 1RM max should be possible for a double and approx. 92.5% for a triple. However, if you're not used to doing singles or doubles, forget it. You've got to do them to get good at them. That fits with your thoughts.
    2nd, are you using PERFECT form on the 2nd & 3rd set of your presses when doin' trips? Think about it, almost no one does when doing multiple reps. You usually end up with some bounce or at least a quick touch and go. This works to raise weight you're able to use on a trip.
    3rd, this one goes back to the first a little. Most of the time you're doin' multiple reps, the first one is a little sloppy, therefore you're not used to hitting the groove right until the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th rep.

Well, that was long-winded as hell but then the gym owner (& me) tend to ramble.

Hope it helps!! Go heavy or go HOME!!!!!!!

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    BG,

Instead of going to a 3RM just go with 3 reps til you do a set where 3 reps gets tough but not a 3RM. Then switch to singles you should be able to get alittle more out of it this way.

Also This is Bench Day and PLJ made some very good points.

xxxl83

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    I read on the WSB site that that could be caused by lack of speed.

Thread Information