Thread: Bench Shirt

Little_Lee is offline New Member

Bench Shirt

Hi I am new to this forum. So sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. How much does a proper bench shirt add to a lift!
    Right now I am about 175lbs and have a max bench of 395lbs. I would like to get over 400 (that has been my goal for quite some time).

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    it depends on your body and the shirt anywhere from 10lbs-200lbs.

Braz_Machine is offline Associate Member
    On October 23 2001 I competed in my first bench press contest. I weighed 224 pounds and benched 340 pounds. No bench shirt.

On May 5 2002 I competed in my second bench press contest. I weighed 211 pounds and benched 410 pounds. No bench shirt.

I just entered a contest scheduled to be on May 3 2003. I will weigh in at 199 pounds and I want to bench 400 pounds +. I now bench 380. This is my picture in the avatar. How much would you guess I could put on my bench with the right bench shirt?

Thanks,
    Braz_Machine

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Ya'll wanna get an idea of how much you can bench with a shirt. Take a 3 or 4 brd (3 or 4- 2x6's nailed together) and see what you can bench off that. Thats about the only way to tell what one can come close to with a good shirt. 1 board is 1 1/2 inches thick so basically you will be benching to 4 1/2 inches off your chest. Only your speed and lockout power can hold you back from a big bench. I benched 545 raw @230lbs and did 625 with a shirt @242lbs. So i get quite a bit out of mine. I can say my lockout is my strong point so i seriously doubt anyone else here gets that much from there shirt. With my shirt i did 700lbs off a 2 brd. I would say if you get a shirt that fits right, you can get a good 10% from it first. So if you bench 400 raw you could probbaly get close to 40lbs more if fitted correctly.

Little_Lee is offline New Member
    Thanks for your input guys! How Will I know if the shirt fits properly? I am relatively new to this idea!

BigBad is offline Banned
    The shirt will take some time to get used to. I would allow at least 3 workouts wearing a new shirt before a meet. My first shirt was a single ply Inzer HD...I got about 25 lbs out of it. I then took a big jump to a Inzer Double Ply Denim (open back w/velcro). This is the shirt I now use...it gives me anywhere from 60-100 lbs. Like PLJay says, if you have big lockout power and a good shirt, the sky is the limit.
    It's hard to tell you online how to properly fit a shirt. I'd recommend having someone there w/you while you put it on to see if it fits properly. That's how I first got started.
    Hope this helped. -BB

TheyoungJason is offline New Member
    you will also need about 3 guys to put it on if it is the "right" size. just a suggestion: dont buy the inzer blast shirts, they suck! good luck finding a shirt.

-Jason

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    wtf is a bench shirt and where would i get one? lol

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    do research first instead of askin dumb questions

to get one

http://www.monstermuscle.com/bench-shirts.asp

before buying one and putting it on and looking like an ass read how they work!

Thread Information