Thread: Rippetoe.

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries

Rippetoe.

A few years back I tried the Mark Rippetoe training method.
    Although not a power lifter I needed to get my main lifts up.
    What I found was not only a good gain in my main lifts, but injuries I had lived with for years cleared up and have not botched me since.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Sometimes injuries (assuming you mean muscle injuries - not specified) are caused by weakness and clear up simply by strengthening the muscles in that area. I have this problem in my lower back right now because I let myself go for.to long. It hurts like hell to do heavy core exercises right now but I do it anyways. One of those situations where powering through the pain is actually the proper action to take.

Glad youre getting it cleared up for yourself.

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes, with the Rippetoe, I used a closer grip on all heavy lifts which seemed to work for me, especially in overhead military press.

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Java, I'm going through the same ordeal. I had to sit after hernia surgery, and in the process my back muscles got really weak. First few weeks back at it were rather painful. But, staying with the program and doing the ancillary exercises have really helped.

I agree, form and working the little guys that help the big ones goes a long way. I also enjoy watching Rippetoe's videos. He's informative and has a good sense of humor. The interviews with world class powerlifters are interesting as well.

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    I like mark rippetoe. I have never used one of his pprograms, but I've seen his training videos and philosophies on youtube. He has an emphasis on natural compound movements which is what I believe in as well. His approach is an excellent foundation for any aspiring power lifter to start from.

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Completely agree, fbomb. I haven't used his program, either, but have certainly taken tips from him to improve the way I both squat and deadlift, which has helped me quite a bit.

Giggle is offline Female Member
    Just saw this thread and had to chime in. I have almost all his books and they really have helped guide me. Also he came in as the guest announcer for one of the meets here. I was his runner! I was so impressed.

The Dirty South is offline New Member
    Mark is one of the best coaches. I would definitely suggest to anyone who hasn't studied starting strength by him, to do it!

-Dirty South

Thread Information