cdog is offline Associate Member

Need your help on this west side routine

Whats up bro's had some questiond about this routine
    On the max effort days this means that you are going to max out every week on the lift's that you will be doing right???......Also how do you work up to your 1RM ?? Do you do like 3-4 doubles and then just hit your max??Alos this routine does not look like periodization so how do you go up in weight do you just try to beat your last weeks 1RM ?And this is the last question I dont see any chest work besides just trying to your 1RM so is this all the chest work you do or can you throw in some incline and dips............THANKS CDOG

Monday

Max effort lower body day (squat, dead lift)
    1. Hamstrings
    2. Lower back
    3. Abs
    4. Possible upper back work

Wednesday
    Max effort upper body (bench press)
    1. Triceps
    2. Delts
    3. Lats

Friday
    Dynamic effort lower body (squat, dead lift)
    1. Hamstrings
    2. Lower back
    3. Abs
    4. Possible upper back work

Sunday
    Dynamic effort upper body (bench press)
    1. Triceps
    2. Delts
    3. Lats

I just read that on your max effort days you start out doing reps of three until you cant do threes any more then drop the reps to one than continue to work up to a 1 rep max is this correct? Aslo is this all the chest work you would need .Also if you could answer the above questions thanks .................CDOG

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    Hey sup man, ok let see where to start

1.Yes you max out every week on your lifts.
    2.You work up to a 1RM by doing triples until you can't do anymore then you go up by singles if you miss and you think you could've gotten the weight b/c of you getting out of your groove then you try again.
    Here is an EXAMPLE (myself) 3 boarded(on thurs)
    barX10 to chest
    135X5to chest
    185X3 to chest
    225X1 to chest
    225X3(started on 3 board)
    275X3
    315X1
    335X1
    345X1 old PR
    355Xmiss
    355X1(struggled like a bitch)PR!!!

Yes like I did just beat what you did last time. Try and change your ME movements every week I know westside says to do it 2 weeks and the 2nd to beat what you did the 1st week, BUT nothing is written in stone us lifters have found it better to just change.

If you don't use a bench shirt then do chest work. MY FAVORITES incline partials, you CAN do incline DB press. mainly incline chest movements they help your pause. Or flat don't worry about decline(unless you like to firm out your chest, HAHA J/M)

For leg days instead of "possible lat work" DO IT!!! throw in your chest work on bench days of course.

I think all your questions are answered.

GOOD LUCK
    LIFT STRONG!!!

Thanks brother was hopeing you would see this .Ok still have a couple of questions .Would you do like max effort bench day one week then the next week try to do max effort close grip press then say on another week you would max out on another tri movement and then go back to a max effort bench day ??Also would this go true for squats like one week would be max effort squat then next week max effort good mornings ?? And if so what does your squat routine look like when you are doing a max effort day of say good mornings ??And what would the chest routine look like when you are doing a max effort day on say close grip presses. Also at my gym I dont have chains or bands or anything like that peace

So looking at the above routine that I posted would I just chose one of those and try to make a PR out of it for that week then change the next week to something differant .Example max effort day upper body
    max effort (chest day)
    Then just throw in some tri work ,delts and lats and thats it for that day
    Then next upper body max day I would chose something like max effort day (db press for shoulders)
    do some chest work ,tri work ,lat work .And so on and so on is this correct ?And last it looks as if they want you to max effort day squat and deads in the same day is this ok or could I just change up on this like deads one week squats the next .?And on dynamic day is this just like a speed or recovery day...........Thanks
    Last edited by cdog; 05-25-2003 at 05:24 PM.

OK SORRY BUT back to the drawing board. lets see where to start.

OK ME day is a day that you do a mimic bench movement. SO say week one max on 4 board week 2 max on 3 board week 3 max on close grip incline week 4 max on 2 board etc. like that and just keep switchin up ME movements then yes do your chest work(if raw lifter) do your tris first then shoulders then lats then chest or however your stronger do last.

ON SQ/DL days do GMs week 1 then week 2 something like rack pulls then go back and do Widestance GM's then week 4 something like SQ for 5X5 work up to a best 5RM and come back next month and try and beat it by like 10lbs or so.

To inform you a close grip press is not a chest excercise. When westside says ME chest they mean bench day about 1/4 times do they actually do a chest movement like Illegal wides, or incline press.

DO NOT do a ME for shoulders frequently you don't need to be strong OH press to have big lifts unless your in strongman or something.

For the chains and bands YOU BUY THEM like everyone else does. Make sure with your gym u can use chains before you buy them the bands you might get some looks(like WE DO) but they won't say shit after a year of doing it and you get fucking COCK STRONG

UMMM on ME SQ/DL day if doing GM's your working both lifts if doing SQ's there gonna help your DL's anyway so do one main movement and then accessory work

DE day is for speed and somewhat if you wanna say recovery b/c it's using less weight

I think I answered everything, HELL I sure hope I did.

NAW if you have anymore questions just ask.

IF someone else see's something I left out please address it.

I think the thing I had a hard time understanding is that westsiders dont actually do bench press or squats.What are 2boards and 3 boards what does that mean?? ANd GM's .So basicly I dont want to max effort my chest directly right?I should go for a PR on other movements that mimic the bench press is this correct?And as far as the accessory work goes I would really not need to try PR's on just stick to the exercise that would mimic the bench press and squats example for squats I would to box squats vs actual squats and for bench press I could do the board press that you said above although not sure what it means.And how much time do you spend on the accessory work .And when do you actually test your regular bench and squats and deads .And the question have you gone up in strength from not actually doing the bench press and squats and stuff does this make you stronger peace.
    Last edited by cdog; 05-26-2003 at 09:23 AM.

If you honestly don't know what 2 boards, 3 boards, and GM's are I see you didn't read anything about westside OR not enough.

2 boards are 2 2X6X12 inch boards stapled together, 3 boards are 3X6X12 boards stapled together and so on. GMs= Good Mornings where you place the bar on your upper traps(whereever you squat) and you slightly bend your knees and come down forward to parallel with an arch in your lower back.

Right, no ME to chest upset for like 1/5 weeks

OK you do the mimic movements yes. And you go for a PR with them then come back and beat it later.

My progress from doing westside for a year 1/2. I've taken within this time 7 months off. 3 months b/c of an injury in doing GM's(I didn't bend my knees) and 4 months b/c I had problems with my g/f and she made me quit lifting( WILL NEVER!!!!!EVER!!!! Happen again)

I used to be 160lbs in NOV 2001 (this is when I was kindofa BB I was at 7%BF) I just started westside at this point and started eating everything in sight. I had a 275squat,205pause,300deadlift. From 6 weeks of westside when I first started I gained 25lbs on my squat, 20lbs on my bench, and 55lbs on my deadlift. IN 6 WEEKS!!! I read every article there was to read and new my workout before I started.

I now squat 425, bench 325pause, deadlift 515.

YOU TELL me if with that much time off that I took if westside is worth it or not.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Cubanito17
    I now squat 425, bench 325pause, deadlift 515.

YOU TELL me if with that much time off that I took if westside is worth it or not.
    I haven't talked to you in some time as I've gravitated back towards BB'ing style training (with an inevitable return to westside planned for fall), but I had no idea you'd made this much progress in such short a time. I don't recall exact lifts back when we were chatting (if you even remember) but i thought you were looking forward to the day when you'd hit 315, believing it was a decent ways off, and that was only four or five months ago if I have my timeline correct. Incredible progress!

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    cdog,

No flame bro, but this is why I don't answer many westside questions in depth anymore.
    I simply direct people to www.elitefts.com and tell them to read ALL of the DaveTate and Louie Simmons articles then read the rest of them.

Westside training isn't like most types of training you MUST understand the philosophies behind the methods they use. This gets complicated and requires lots,and lots of reading and research.

Trust me I've been training westside for about 3 1/2 years, been to seminars, spoke with Louie and Dave at meets, and on the phone as well as many other westside guys, and I'm still learning.

Do your research then comeback and ask questions on what you don't understand.
    There are a few guys including me on this board who are very knowledgable concerning powerlifting and westside who will be more than happy and willing to help out.

To see a westside workout posted and say "hey maybe I'll give that a shot" isn't good enough when it comes to this style of training.
    Wait till chains and bands get involved.

xxxl83

BIGGREEN sup man yes like 5 months ago i think i was wanting my 315 bench. HELL i'm not even my strongest now i was my strongest in late NOV 2002 when I weighed 221lbs squated 475, benched 350, and deadlifted 550. All gym lifts but stil i have witnesses. When I was talking about 315 that was when I did it 3 times in lakeland with JAY i was trying to get the shirt to work for me. I was better off raw. STIL havn't gotten a shirt to work for me. GOOD here'n from ya again though. How's BB then?!?!

XXXL I know I told him there are a few reasons why i relpied.
    1.B/c when I first started I was the same way and got frustrated that my questions wouldn't be answered.
    2. BEfore he goes out and tries something overtrains then blaims it on westside(I.E. My brother did that) then I figured i'd save him the flames.
    3. I had nothing better to do there was nothing better to read so I just figured i'd help

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Cubanito,

I'm glad you replied and helped him out that's what the board is about.

I just get tired of people not doing the leg work. I don't mind helping out but, explaining the whole system is a different story. Esspecaily when the answers are so easily attainable with some research.

If you think about it and go through the powerlifting forum there aren't many westside questions that haven't been asked and answered.

xxxl83

OH I KNOW and above that if you go through the forum most of the questions people ask have already been answered.

BUT it's always easier to ask yourself and feel important.

ALSO that's what the forum is for to get info. So I don't mind all that much, i was there once. I know how it is.

I here ya though on gettin tired of it the ones i've looked at and havn't replied to are b/c of that

Thanks for the replys guys I have done research on westside I just could not understand that you dont actually regular bench and so on it was hard for me do understand that.And in the searches that I have done I did see the boards and GM'S but still was unsure as to what they were talking about thats why I came here for the questions because I can find out what the (TERMS)mean .I totaly understand about the guys who want free answers without the leg work put trust me bros I was looking .Anyways I want to thank you for going the extra mile for me .Right now Im working on puting my routine together so looking forward to starting .Again guys thanks .................CDOG

Your welcome bro. Glad to know you at least tried to do research best place to go before asking is www.elitefts.com

you will find your answer there b/c i know they have pics of GM's there. that's how I find out how to do them properly.

Thread Information