CHSDOG55 is offline Associate Member

Deadlift and Squat Form

Hey guys i was just wondering if any of you guys have a video or pictures or just could tell me good form for deadlift and squat. Im trying to get them up. My squat the bar always hurts me right below my neck where the bar is. Anyone know how to stop this. And my deadlift is just terrible. Dont really even know where to begin. Tyler

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Well Sloth, build up your traps so the bar has some muscle to sit on. There is that one vertebra that sort of juts out in the back of the neck - the bar should rest below that.

As for form, some people are different as to where they align their feet up. I must go with a little wider stance, toes pointed out. Try to sit back, not just squat down / bend over.

Check out this site :

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    shoud not hurt your neck if your resting it across the traps,as for your deadlifts, maby try at a lighter weight and work on form and reps then move up to hevier weight when you get your technique down, also try not using straps. you will be working those forearms too!! i dont know if this advice will help, so take it for what it is??
    abstrack@protonmail.com

err
    err is offline New Member
    yeah .. you should build up your traps / shoulders to strengten it to help support your squats.

I always had trouble doing 4 * 45 plates for my squat as it is too much on my traps. I know that my legs can take the squat but my supporting traps are not strong enough.

I have been working on it ever since and now I can support 4 * 45 plates + 2 * 25.

Work on it slowly. You should be able to see improvements as time goes by.

eRr

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    all these guys are right about getting your traps bigger the thing that worked for me was HEAVY shrugs 5X5 with a pause at the top of 1 mississippi, and before you drop it roll your traps back for a pause and then set the weight down. hey it thikened my traps. and my brother that's 16 had NO traps and they're startin to show.(not tryin to sound like a BB but hey you need them to squat, RIGHT!!)

about the deads try doing like six singles after your DE day for legs about 50-60% of your max to work on form and speed.

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member
    make sure the weight sits properly on your traps. I see so many guys that rest the bar across their neck, just begging for an injury. If you don't have enough meat back there, try a pussy pad until you build up some mass on those traps.

grayhulk is offline New Member
    I try and get the weight as far down my back as I can. My arms are not real flexable so I dont have to worry about going too low.This seems to help out a lot. Also you want to squat like your sitting in a chair. Dont sit straght up and down though. Lean forward as you sit down. If you have the weight low enough on your back the bar will be lined up with the center of your body. KInda hard to explain without showing you.

brianW. is offline New Member
    I keep reading that you should place the bar on your traps Take it from someone withover a 900 lb squat, the bar should rest firmly across the bottom of your traps in the middle and on top of your rear delts on the outside, this should also alleviate some form problems by forcing you to sit up straighter under the bar. The bar will be locked into position. good luck!!

hey brian how bout you post an intro I'm curious to know who you are?

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    BrainW. is correct.

You posted this in the powerlifting forum which means your not intrested in tha typical BB style high bar squat but a power squat right?

The bar should be placed low on your traps, also remember to push your stomach out against your belt this will also help you keep your form by helping keep your torso stable and upright.

Also for the record It's smart to listen to what 900lb squatter has to say about squatting. I've got a 750+ squat (after 5 knee surgeries) and I could tell you this much I know alot more about the squat now then I did when I had a 600lb squat.
    To Keep increasing your squat you MUST keep learning and who better to learn from than a guy who has already been there.

xxxl83

CHSDOG55 is offline Associate Member
    Yea guys i train with Steve Goggins so i train with the WR holder. 1102 Sqaut. Guy is fuckin amazing. I was just wondering what some of u guys had to say bout it. Tyler

DAMN ALL OF YOU THAT GET TO TRAIN WITH PRO's.

SHIT just pisses me off I hate my town.

Thread Information