Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By swolehead

Thread: What Are The Best Work Out Gloves for weight/power lifting.

z06vett is offline Associate Member

What Are The Best Work Out Gloves for weight/power lifting.

Im tired of buying workout gloves that loose grip every 2-3

months ($25 Harbinger gloves) Esp used for Power Lifting. Any

Suggestion will help.

Thanks!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    My momma gave me mine....
    ..........has some callouses on it though.
    Khazima likes this.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    My momma gave me mine....
    ..........has some callouses on it though.
    ^^^X2. Gloves are a bad idea IMO. Just use chalk instead.

I've been contemplating the chalk thing here lately. I was shrugging 120lb dumbs, and the metal hand grip at the gym is much bigger in diameter than the 100lb dumbs, and not as knurled. My son just walked over a bag I can put my chalk block in, so we'll see how that works.

Quick aside for a funny story.....

.......some beast dude was shrugging a bar in the squat rack with five or six plates on a side. then he would walk over and finish up with some light shit by shrugging the 120lb dumbs. While he was shrugging the frigging big bar with all the plates, I was shrugging the little bar with the little plates (120lb dumbs). So he turns around as I'm about to finish up my set with the dumbs, and that friggin little grip gets real slippery with the sweat and the shitty knurled surface. So I toss the dumb up a bit for a better grip, and this fugger starts chuckling, telling me to "not drop the fuggin dumb" with this big shit eating grin on his face. I must have looked like some little kid brother with my junior set of weights going for a better grip. THIS is when I decided I need some chalk........
    ...........I really didn't lose control of the dumb, but it must have looked a little akward.

This is why I won't wear gloves or use those lifting straps. If my grip cannot hold onto the bar, then my grip needs to improve.

Anyways..........

............back to the thread!

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I actually use straps on a few exercises. That said, I only do because I have some Tendonitis in my right elbow and too much gripping aggravates it and the straps eliminate the pressure. Call me a pvssy if you like. But, if it wasn't for the Tendonitis I wouldn't use anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I've been contemplating the chalk thing here lately. I was shrugging 120lb dumbs, and the metal hand grip at the gym is much bigger in diameter than the 100lb dumbs, and not as knurled. My son just walked over a bag I can put my chalk block in, so we'll see how that works.

Quick aside for a funny story.....

.......some beast dude was shrugging a bar in the squat rack with five or six plates on a side. then he would walk over and finish up with some light shit by shrugging the 120lb dumbs. While he was shrugging the frigging big bar with all the plates, I was shrugging the little bar with the little plates (120lb dumbs). So he turns around as I'm about to finish up my set with the dumbs, and that friggin little grip gets real slippery with the sweat and the shitty knurled surface. So I toss the dumb up a bit for a better grip, and this fugger starts chuckling, telling me to "not drop the fuggin dumb" with this big shit eating grin on his face. I must have looked like some little kid brother with my junior set of weights going for a better grip. THIS is when I decided I need some chalk........
    ...........I really didn't lose control of the dumb, but it must have looked a little akward.

This is why I won't wear gloves or use those lifting straps. If my grip cannot hold onto the bar, then my grip needs to improve.

Anyways..........

............back to the thread!
    Ahh, so i guess its important to the technique of gripping down lol....

Ahh, so i guess its important to master the technique of gripping lol....

I'm saying that everything you do in the gym should be for a reason. I won't wear the straps because I want to force my body to develop ancillary muscle groups, like my grip. If I start with the straps, then how will my grip improve?

the chalk is just so that that shiny metal grip won't be so slippery
    z06vett likes this.

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    Gloves suck! If you want pretty hands and you never plan on going heavy, thats fine. Like my wife uses gloves and thats cool, because shes a woman.
    Let me explain, without being an asshole. Sweat gets between your hands and gloves, youre done. Just use chalk. I will use straps when im repping super high, but when i need to do that lift heavy, my grip is enough.

southernboy31 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrich4 View Post
    Gloves suck! If you want pretty hands and you never plan on going heavy, thats fine. Like my wife uses gloves and thats cool, because shes a woman.
    Let me explain, without being an asshole. Sweat gets between your hands and gloves, youre done. Just use chalk. I will use straps when im repping super high, but when i need to do that lift heavy, my grip is enough.
    Like he said. Chalk all the way for me. The only time I use straps is when I do reps on dead lift. I actively try to avoid using anything cause I guess mentally I consider this not a true measure of strength.

swolehead is offline Member
    powerlifters don't use gloves
    Marc114 likes this.

Motardpdx is offline Associate Member
    I only used straps when I started doing pull-ups, chin-ups. I was an 18 year old, 160lbs skinny kid with zero lats, needed all the help I could get. Ha!

Marc114 is offline Junior Member
    Ditch the gloves , calluses are cool!

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Gloves and powerlifting don't go together.

KinMan is offline New Member
    Chalk

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    I don't always use workout gloves, except to train at the gym. And when I do, I use The Grip by Optimum Nutrition.

But when powerlifting training, I use chalk and plenty of it.

Baxter35 is offline Member
    No gloves, chalk only on deadlifts.

jjpaki1212 is offline New Member
    Dontuse gloves for powerlifting. I wouldnt even recommend straps either unless u are training specific weak points in your deadlift but then again you are only as strong as your weakest link so even that i find stupid

prenes is offline Junior Member
    sissy mittens?

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Lets postpicsof our best callus hands

Thread Information