Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima

Thread: Training routines

migo123 is offline New Member

Training routines

I'm just now getting into powerlifting. Any good regiments out there?

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    There are many but which one being best for you depends on where you are now. Look into Texas Method (not exactly PL but a very good strength program), 5/3/1, Cube Method, Westside, Lilliebridge Method, etc

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    I always like 531.

migo123 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123
    There are many but which one being best for you depends on where you are now. Look into Texas Method (not exactly PL but a very good strength program), 5/3/1, Cube Method, Westside, Lilliebridge Method, etc
    thanks for the help

Cutthroat10 is offline New Member
    I've been doing 531 and had good success with it. I personally don't like the Boring But Big, tried and actually lost strength. Now I'm running a personalized version using 531 for the main lift and my own supplemental and accessory lifts. I rotate the supplemental and accessory lifts each cycle and dropped the press day in exchange for a bodybuilding day which does include shoulder work. The three big lifts have increases pretty fast and I always hit reps. I really believe "leaving one in the tank" is a crucial part to strength oriented training. I also avoid maxing out often because I believe it can hurt progress if done too often.
    Last edited by Cutthroat10; 01-13-2015 at 04:54 PM.

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    531 is awesome and there are lots of variations... its my favorite, then the cube method.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutthroat10 View Post
    I've been doing 531 and had good success with it. I personally don't like the Boring But Big, tried and actually lost strength. Now I'm running a personalized version using 531 for the main lift and my own supplemental and accessory lifts. I rotate the supplemental and accessory lifts each cycle and dropped the press day in exchange for a bodybuilding day which does include shoulder work. The three big lifts have increases pretty fast and I always hit reps. I really believe "leaving one in the tank" is a crucial part to strength oriented training. I also avoid maxing out often because I believe it can hurt progress if done too often.
    It depends on what training philosophy you're following for sure. For example, Brandon Lilly says you should never miss a lift in training due to strength reasons. On the other end of the spectrum you have westside guys maxing out twice a week, one upper one lower, on max effort days but they constantly rotate the lifts around that they're maxing on.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    It depends on what training philosophy you're following for sure. For example, Brandon Lilly says you should never miss a lift in training due to strength reasons. On the other end of the spectrum you have westside guys maxing out twice a week, one upper one lower, on max effort days but they constantly rotate the lifts around that they're maxing on.
    I'm doing a westside method atm, maxing bench once a week and squat every other week, been making great gains doing so. Haven't been missing any lifts though or grinding like crazy.
    Docd187123 likes this.

Marc114 is offline Junior Member
    I find I get stronger and the best gains with westside. It really depends on what works for you. Don't be afraid to try different programs before settling on one that works for you. The most important thing to remember is to make sure to give a program time to work , the biggest mistake I see guys doing is giving up on a program way to soon.

Thread Information