Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By swolehead

Thread: advice for deadlifting

musclestack is offline Productive Member

advice for deadlifting

So, I recently just started deadlifting. I've literally only done it about 4-5 times in my life now, and 3 of those times were just within the past month. I do a 5x5 routine. I started out doing 315 for 5x5, then last week I moved up to 335 for 5x5. I think I'm getting the hang of it week after week, but can someone give me advice on the correct, and most efficient, way of doing it? I use a conventional stance (not sumo), and keep the bar right up against my shins all the way up. I keep my back straight (at least until the last rep when I start to fatigue). I believe this is correct....any other pointers you can give me?

I'm planning on doing my first full powerlifting meet next month, but I'd really like to get my deadlift numbers up as much as I can. I will be in the 220 pound weight class (I weigh about 209 right now, and I don't want to cut down because I'm bulking). I just feel like I should be doing more than this for my weight. I did a 1 rep max a couple weeks ago for 365 pounds. I'd really like to get this over 400 for the meet. I realize that it's nearly impossible for me to gain 40 pounds of STRENGTH over this short period, but I also believe that if I worked on my technique and got a better feel for the movement, that I could possibly pull this off.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    Get on youtube and watch some videos.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't rush it, you are new to this exercise and it has the potential to be the most damaging of all. Strengthen your lower back wit hypers and such, make sure your core is strong. I can't do them due to back surgery and my height, I popped my back years ago doing them and have had back issues my whole life. Like stated above, watch videos and get your form right and always maintain proper form. I see kids all the time in the gym using poor form, good for them they aren't pulling enough to hurt themselves, but in time they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspaco View Post
    Get on youtube and watch some videos.
    Will do. Thanks, Gaspaco.

Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    Don't rush it, you are new to this exercise and it has the potential to be the most damaging of all. Strengthen your lower back wit hypers and such, make sure your core is strong. I can't do them due to back surgery and my height, I popped my back years ago doing them and have had back issues my whole life. Like stated above, watch videos and get your form right and always maintain proper form. I see kids all the time in the gym using poor form, good for them they aren't pulling enough to hurt themselves, but in time they will.
    Thanks, Zempey. That is my first concern. If my back isn't completely straight, especially within the first couple reps, I realize it's too heavy and I decrease the weight. Not only would I risk injuring myself, but that's not the way to get better/stronger at the lift (like doing half squats). Thank you for your response!

When starting the movement when the bar is still on the ground, do you guys have the bar right against your shin, or do you keep it away a bit, then pull it against your shin on your way up?

I always wondered what I could have lifted if I had done deads back in the mid 2000's, I never wanted to take the chance of my back letting go so I never tried. I could do free weight bent bar row with 455 for reps, and would always do the top flex of a dead lift when finishing the last rep. I was just too afraid to have my back let go in the bottom/middle phase of a dead lift. Keep at it, there is no better feeling than lifting an insane amount of weight, that feeling inside is like no other.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    When starting the movement when the bar is still on the ground, do you guys have the bar right against your shin, or do you keep it away a bit, then pull it against your shin on your way up?
    The bar should be over mid foot and then you lean your shins into the bar. As you do the pull, pull the bar up and back into you. The further away from your body the bar is the greater the moment arm/torque on your back so you want it close as possible
    swolehead likes this.

Wish I had learned the correct way when I was young and dumb, probably wouldn't be in the position I am now. Who knows, maybe i will start throwing them in light.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    The bar should be over mid foot and then you lean your shins into the bar. As you do the pull, pull the bar up and back into you. The further away from your body the bar is the greater the moment arm/torque on your back so you want it close as possible
    Great, Doc. I will keep this in mind. Also, how would you describe the motion when 'standing up'? At the bottom of the lift, do you focus on pressing with your legs, then straightening out once you get to a certain point in the movement? Or is it more of a combination of pressing with your legs and straightening out at the same time, simutaneously?

I'm going to watch some youtube videos on this when I get home tonight, but I'm at work now.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    Great, Doc. I will keep this in mind. Also, how would you describe the motion when 'standing up'? At the bottom of the lift, do you focus on pressing with your legs, then straightening out once you get to a certain point in the movement? Or is it more of a combination of pressing with your legs and straightening out at the same time, simutaneously?

I'm going to watch some youtube videos on this when I get home tonight, but I'm at work now.
    The first part of the movement should be almost like a hips up. What happens is your knee angle opens up while maintaining he same back angle. Once you clear your shins/around the knee area you begin to open the back angle up and lockout.

The first part of the movement should be almost like a hips up. What happens is your knee angle opens up while maintaining he same back angle. Once you clear your shins/around the knee area you begin to open the back angle up and lockout.
    Understood. I will try to focus on this on Friday when I deadlift.

swolehead is offline Member
    was guna say this ot was a huge help Wen I learned to pull back instead of rather standing up with the weigh in ur hand
    Docd187123 likes this.

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Big one for me when I was had the base "form" down like you seem to have was,

Keeping the chest up and shoulders pulled back once you begin the lift to prevent back rounding and stress on your lower back. Since a lot of people are tight through the mid back and let their shoulders fall forwards. Did a lot of face pulls / band pull aparts / hypers and focused on it, and it did wonders.

Hope that helps

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Driving with the heals is also another thing to keep in mind at the start of the lift.

pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    Honestly man, without posting a video no one can really tell you how to improve anything. I would say train both conventional and sumo (every other set) and do 6x5. Your body will naturally teach you where you are the most strong. Also at this weight limit you should be figuring out how to keep tight and be explosive off the floor. Rushing to increase weight in a short amount of time raises cortisol and will hinder your recovery (could result in injury).

Best advice I could give would be to train both sumo and conventional and then add above the knee rack pulls to max weight every session. This should help increase confidence and give your body exposure to a higher weight.

KISSMIBUT is offline New Member
    There are different forms and stances to the deadlift. There isn't one way. In competition you have to have the experience to know the most efficient form for yourself. Don't be bent on copying. Try every stance and every form at a light enough weight to find where your weaknesses lie. The deadlift incorporates the whole body. Also a bent back while deadlifting is far more safer than a straight and rigid back. A rigid stick can be split. A flexible bendable stick is much harder to split. Just start with reps in the 20 range to build up the bones tendons, and ligaments first or you will be forever screwed.

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    Just be careful not to tweek your back. Shit never seems right after that.gl

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    So it's been a few months since you posted this thread, bro. How are you doing with your deadlifts? But most importantly, how did you do in your meet?

jjpaki1212 is offline New Member
    If you have a competition in a month stop doing 5x5s and do 3s. I always do 3 months out 5x5 2 months out 3x3 and the last month is all heavy sets of 1s with 5 days off before the meet to rest CNS

Thread Information